PDA

View Full Version : C64 SID MOS6581

RRangel
10-17-2009, 4:48 PM
This may not be the right place, but it's worth a try. Hopefully there's someone here familiar with the SID(Sound Interface Device) chip out of the C64. This chip comes on the market every now and again. It intrigues me.

I'm almost sure I can find one, but I'm looking for a kit similar to something you'd find for a x0xb0x(Roland TB-303 clone). I'd like to put something together like Elektron's SID Station synth without starting from scratch. Just looking for some direction. Any help would be appreciated.

RRangel
10-17-2009, 4:49 PM
Come to think of it, I should have put this in the off topic forum.

bwiese
10-20-2009, 5:52 PM
Ramon,

The 6581 SID is likely hard to find. There are bogus pulled chips out there too that have major defects.

You might wanna try looking for the 8580 used in the C128 - similar programming model, perhaps better availability. The 8580 had less distortion.

In any case you'd need a bit of embedded programming skills to get the chip to 'talk'.

There is also a "reSID" software emulator that runs on faster PCs.

You might also wanna look at the AY-3-8910 sound generator - was used in many arcade games.

Also see: http://bristol.sourceforge.net/sidney.shtml

RRangel
10-21-2009, 4:48 PM
Ok, good info Bill.

RRangel
01-02-2010, 7:23 PM
The 8580 had less distortion.

That's what made the 6581 so great. :)

Update:

Well, I've actually found all the stuff that I'd need for putting together my own SID synth, including firmware. The costs and even ordering some stuff from Europe didn't make sense. The Dave Smith Mopho will more than do, and it comes in one piece. It's especially great if you can get an almost new one from someone who wants to sell.