PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a scope a good one.

armandolo
10-17-2009, 1:29 PM
This has bothered me some time now but for life of me I can't figure out what makes a scope a $100 scope, a $500 scope or a $1800 scope. I know what makes a good camera lens (fixed focal length, bokeh, etc) but for scopes I can find them to have identical settings and have a huge price difference.

Similar zoom, similar MOA adjustments and similar relief and huge price diff. Please explain.

Shane916
10-17-2009, 2:08 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3215515

Check out posts 13,14 & 16.

cgseanp1
10-17-2009, 2:10 PM
I really don't know crap about scopes, but I THINK one of the factors that controls price is the ruggedness/durability of the scope?

22popnsplat
10-17-2009, 3:36 PM
I am no expert but the clarity , magnifacation , amount of adjustment and repeatability of those adjustments along with brightness and feild of veiw . from what I have seen is you can easily see the difference between a cheap scope and a midpriced scope , it is harder to tell the difference between a mid priced and a high dollar scope .
A freind was writing a article on spotting scopes and I had a chance to look through most of them . He used a form of a eye chart for the testing.

JeffW
10-17-2009, 3:37 PM
Higher end scopes work better during edge conditions: rain, twilight, etc.

The main thing to me is ability to hold zero and make repeatable adjustments. If it does that, good to go. If not, off to the scrap heap.

sevensix2x51
10-17-2009, 3:47 PM
The main thing to me is ability to hold zero and make repeatable adjustments. If it does that, good to go. If not, off to the scrap heap.
+1k