PDA

View Full Version : OC outdoor range?

Renshai
10-17-2009, 1:24 PM
I am looking for a good outdoor Range in the OC area...There are a few indoor ranges, but there you can't do draw drills, movement (Limited of course) stuff or anything like that. I am SO willing to labor on cleanup days and such. I tend to be VERY loyal to my ranges :) Any suggestions??

maschronic
10-17-2009, 1:27 PM
depends on where you are located in OC. by HB, there is firing line. south county, there is on-target. and there is more depending on where you live in OC.

Renshai
10-17-2009, 1:47 PM
I'm in Garden Grove, Right in the middle of LIttle Saigon. And being new here, really haven't a clue as to what's "close" and what isn't. I work 6 miles from home and it still takes me 20 minutes to get there :)

maschronic
10-17-2009, 2:07 PM
i totally misread your title. you asked for outdoor range. haha. my suggestions were indoor. my bad.

from garden grove, i think firing line is the closest to you. i used to live in garden grove for like 20 years. i was at valley view and lampson.

for your original quesitons, any outdoor range will be around 1.5 hours away.

Splinter
10-17-2009, 2:10 PM
The closest range to OC that is outdoor and will let you do "drills" is burro canyons private ranges( it is a public shooting facility) you just rent out one of the private ranges if you want to do drills. That is unfortunatly about the only one around. The ranges the other poster mentioned are not outdoor. Firing line being the strictest range with the most attitude I have ever seen.

maschronic
10-17-2009, 2:13 PM
The closest range to OC that is outdoor and will let you do "drills" is burro canyons private ranges( it is a public shooting facility) you just rent out one of the private ranges if you want to do drills. That is unfortunatly about the only one around. The ranges the other poster mentioned are not outdoor. Firing line being the strictest range with the most attitude I have ever seen.

he is correct. that is why i have a membership at on-target. strict, yet doable for me.

Rob454
10-17-2009, 3:22 PM
I'm in Garden Grove, Right in the middle of LIttle Saigon. And being new here, really haven't a clue as to what's "close" and what isn't. I work 6 miles from home and it still takes me 20 minutes to get there :)

I'm in westminster on brookhurst and bolsa. LMK if you need some help out here.

joaoalegre
10-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Don't forget the OC Sheriff Range that at certain times is open to the public.
I've never been there, but I would have my doubts they allow the public (not the Officers practicing) to do draw drills.

http://www.ocsd.org/divisions/training/training/firearms

I've always been curious about this place, but haven't bothered to go there cuz Firing Line is the closest to me (and I have a membership).

HkUSP45
10-19-2009, 8:03 AM
OC sheriff range will limit you on magazine load of 5 rds only. For safety reason. Back then they offer unlimited paper targets. Not sure about now.

jsmith8918
11-07-2009, 5:07 PM
OC Sheriff Range is still open to the public on the "ASC" (public) side. $7 for the first two hours, $10 gets you all day. Still unlimited paper targets. Five-round in the mag at a time is still the limit, but not really enforcement as long as there's a one-second delay between shots. No drawing from the holster for the public side. No magnum calibers, no rifles, not even pistol-caliber rifles or carbines. 25-yard distance.

Dr Pete
11-07-2009, 6:37 PM
Burro canyon private range for what you want to do.

I'll 2nd the OC Sheriff Range, VERY nice range, seems like your indoors.
Rubber mats on the concrete, digital target range placement.
Free targets.
Be aware they CLOSE for lunch, meaning you have to leave, then return after lunch.
So plan your time if you go there.
Friendly, just follow the rules like anyplace else and your good.

normancay
12-27-2009, 3:03 AM
do not forget the Prado Olympic Shooting Park! The 1984 shotgun event for the Olympics was held there, it is near Chino Hills! They have pistol, shotgun and rifle ranges, but the rifle is limited to .22LR only.

http://www.shootprado.com/

exmarine212
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
A private range @ Burro canyon is you`r best bet. There you do you`r own line breaks, and you don`t have to worry about caliber. But they are pretty strickt about steel core ammo.

Bobbar
12-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Where is the OC Sheriff range?!

Guns R Tools
12-29-2009, 12:35 AM

1900-B West Katella Avenue in the city of Orange

Bobbar
12-29-2009, 1:32 PM
Across from the pond correct? I am gunna have to take a look into that!

Bobbar
12-29-2009, 1:36 PM
Do they allow shotguns?

Dark Paladin
12-29-2009, 2:52 PM
A private range @ Burro canyon is you`r best bet. There you do you`r own line breaks, and you don`t have to worry about caliber. But they are pretty strickt about steel core ammo.

Only during fire season. At this time (winter) steel core is allowed.

ChopperX
01-24-2010, 10:45 PM
So about the sherriff range. Do you have to have ur own gun or do they have rentals as well?

socalshooting
02-11-2010, 3:58 AM
So about the sherriff range. Do you have to have ur own gun or do they have rentals as well?

Yes...no rentals.

bubbapug1
02-11-2010, 9:30 PM
so bump firing a mac with a 32 round mag probably won't fly at the sheriffs range??? but we are taxpayers!!!

ledman
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
I like Burro or Lytle Creek for outdoor shooting, both about 1 to 1.5 hrs from the OC. Also, right by Lytle Creek is West end gun club, open to the public on the weekends only, I have never been, but here it is pretty good.

http://burrocanyon.com/index.html

http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/Default.htm

Indoor for my pistols, I go to Evans gunsmithing and shooter world in Orange.

FeelthySanchez
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Been a member there since '03 & no regrets.

Prefer to hang-out there on weekdays tho, 'cuz that way I get the run of the place (unless some kinda maint or sub-leased event is going-on).

Selena
03-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Guys, sorry for off track.

But I dont know where to ask since I'm new here.
I'm in Huntington Beach and looking for being member of either Firing or On Target before I can try out door. Just dont know which one should I go for, Firing or On Target. On Target staffs are so friendly but it is so far, Firing I never been there but heard some said the staffs are kind of cold...
Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

willm952
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi Selena,

I'd recommend On Target.
with membership and attending 4 of their shooting events, you can draw from the holster and do a double tap from a specific bay.
you get a double tap card in addition to your membership after attending 4 shoots with them.

there the only range I've ever heard of that allows this, especially indoors.
I'll get one of their memberships later this year.

info is on their website.

Guys, sorry for off track.

But I dont know where to ask since I'm new here.
I'm in Huntington Beach and looking for being member of either Firing or On Target before I can try out door. Just dont know which one should I go for, Firing or On Target. On Target staffs are so friendly but it is so far, Firing I never been there but heard some said the staffs are kind of cold...
Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

Selena
03-04-2010, 6:47 PM
Hi Selena,

I'd recommend On Target.
with membership and attending 4 of their shooting events, you can draw from the holster and do a double tap from a specific bay.
you get a double tap card in addition to your membership after attending 4 shoots with them.

there the only range I've ever heard of that allows this, especially indoors.
I'll get one of their memberships later this year.

info is on their website.

Thanks Willm. I was on Target before but not their member yet. I know that place. Just wonder if it can be the trade off for driving 30 miles other than go to Firing closed to my place...

novabrian
03-04-2010, 7:54 PM
I like Burro or Lytle Creek for outdoor shooting, both about 1 to 1.5 hrs from the OC. Also, right by Lytle Creek is West end gun club, open to the public on the weekends only, I have never been, but here it is pretty good.

http://burrocanyon.com/index.html

http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/Default.htm

Indoor for my pistols, I go to Evans gunsmithing and shooter world in Orange.

Somehow I made it to Burrow Canyon in 30 min. on a Sat.

IGOTDIRT4U
03-05-2010, 1:32 PM
Somehow I made it to Burrow Canyon in 30 min. on a Sat.

:eek:

It's almost 30 minutes from the start of the canyon, alone!?!

novabrian
03-05-2010, 6:38 PM

I think I have a speeding problem!!

SigSoldier
03-11-2010, 1:33 AM
Hate to sound ignorant but what is a double tap and what is a double tap card?

scr83jp
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I am looking for a good outdoor Range in the OC area...There are a few indoor ranges, but there you can't do draw drills, movement (Limited of course) stuff or anything like that. I am SO willing to labor on cleanup days and such. I tend to be VERY loyal to my ranges :) Any suggestions??Check out www.raahauges.com where they'll have the shooting sports fair in june 2010

Isaiah4Autumn
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM

not true...

Only during fire season. At this time (winter) steel core is allowed.

this...just call up before you go there and ask no matter what season it is

Check out www.raahauges.com where they'll have the shooting sports fair in june 2010

expensive $30 for 2hrs...geez

Thundercleese
03-11-2010, 7:14 PM
Hate to sound ignorant but what is a double tap and what is a double tap card?

Double tap is where you fire two rounds in quick succession at the same target.

A double tap card is a 'permit' of sorts used by some (not all) gun ranges to 'certify' who is safe to do double taps. It tends to keep the idiots and those who don't care at bay.

SigSoldier
03-11-2010, 8:41 PM
Double tap is where you fire two rounds in quick succession at the same target.

A double tap card is a 'permit' of sorts used by some (not all) gun ranges to 'certify' who is safe to do double taps. It tends to keep the idiots and those who don't care at bay.

Thanks. Thats what I thought but was confused by the double tap card (permit) thing.

jkcerda
03-18-2010, 9:21 PM

1900-B West Katella Avenue in the city of Orange

Do they allow shotguns?

+2 on the SG question

The Punisher
04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
+1 to Lytle Creek.

Guns R Tools
04-22-2010, 1:07 AM
I don't think Sheriffs range would allow shotgun, they don't even allow magnum chambered handgun but better call and double check.

vap
05-12-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.kuci.uci.edu/~dany/firearms/ocshooting.html
found this and wanted to share :)

BOFH
05-12-2010, 12:20 AM
If you live in HB then get a membership at Firingline...its pretty nice to be 10 minutes away from a range...take advantage of it.

wildcard
05-12-2010, 9:19 AM

So you're one of the people that slow us down.. I hope you pull over to let the men pass :)

mnguyen84
07-24-2010, 2:06 AM
http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/