PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Gunnies Gearing Up for Another "Shall Issue" Legislative Showdown!

Paladin
10-17-2009, 7:36 AM
http://www.nraila.org/images/rtcmaplg.jpg

Never forget this map. (Perhaps the people heading up CGN/CGF's promotional campaign can get NRA permission to use the map or make their own version for fliers, etc.)

When I share w/people about our "cause" and they think that "Shall Issue" is extreme, I say that from the Mississippi River west to the Pacific Ocean, only IA and CA are not "Shall Issue," and IA readily issues, even though it is "May Issue." That is kind of difficult for a newbie to follow and I've often thought that IA going "Shall Issue" would make my job much easier ("From the Mississippi River west to the Pacific Ocean, only CA is not 'Shall Issue.'")

(Yes, I know that after McDonald, WI and IL will be changing from black to something else, and then, after Sykes, we hope CA (and HI) will be going from yellow to red within 1 - 3 years. :D)

Well, it looks like the good, patriotic Americans in IA are girding up for another fight with their sheriffs in their state capitol sometime after the new year. Last time the IA legislature considered Shall Issue (2008?), the sheriffs testified against it because -- surprise, surprise -- those "politicians with guns & badges" wanted to keep the power to decide who has to defend themselves against rapists and murderers with their bare hands and who gets to carry a gun to defend themselves. :mad:

Please support our fellow Americans in Iowa in whatever manner you can. The more states that go "Shall Issue," the more extremist CA's discriminatory "May Issue" position becomes, making our fight -- judicially with Sykes or legislatively with AB357 -- that much easier.

Ck out Iowa Carry at: http://www.iowacarry.org/index.php

Significant change (I don't recall this from the last time I checked a year or so ago), is that Iowa Carry is now "an affiliate group of the Second Amendment Foundation." They're a good group to support too, just like CGF and the NRA.
More info re SAF at: http://www.saf.org/

Iowa's counties appear a LOT smaller than CA's and there are almost twice as many of them (90 vs 58, despite IA being much smaller than CA), so it is much easier for them when moving to choose to move to a reasonable issuance county. They have only 1 county, Des Moine, which does not abut a reasonable issue county. Compare that to someone who works in San Mateo county, look how far away they'd have to commute to reside in a reasonable issuance county in the PRK.

http://www.iowacarry.org/images/map.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/clownburner/OCCCWS/ca_ccw_map-big.png

yellowfin
10-17-2009, 8:02 AM
Much like CA, it's a matter of county population, with the most populous counties being the non issuing ones. Reading Iowa Carry for a year or so I saw that it's not quite as deadlocked as CA is just troublesome as those sheriffs somehow are able to wave a wand and magically get what they want. Maryland's situation is much worse.

hoffmang
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Significant change (I don't recall this from the last time I checked a year or so ago), is that Iowa Carry is now "an affiliate group of the Second Amendment Foundation." They're a good group to support too, just like CGF and the NRA.
More info re SAF at: http://www.saf.org/
Along with being affiliated with SAF comes a benefit with the initials A.G.

Compare that to someone who works in San Mateo county, look how far away they'd have to commute to reside in a reasonable issuance county in the PRK.

I love living in the belly of the beast. Indigestion is amusing to watch.

-Gene

Paladin
10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I added this to the OP: "Iowa's counties appear a LOT smaller than CA's and there are almost twice as many of them (90 vs 58, despite IO being much smaller than CA), so it is much easier for them when moving to choose to move to a reasonable issuance county. They have only 1 county, Des Moine, which does not abut a reasonable issue county. Compare that to someone who works in San Mateo county, look how far away they'd have to commute to reside in a reasonable issuance county in the PRK."

I got a little curious to see what is going on in a few other non-Shall Issue states. So I searched a few minutes and found . . .

Alabama: I could not find any organization/website for taking AL from their very liberal May Issue (de facto Shall Issue) to actual Shall Issue in the law (de jure Shall Issue).

Maryland: http://www.marylandshallissue.org/ Looks like their website got an upgrade and they're getting more active.

Illinois and Wisconsin: looks like the two No Issue states are joining forces and using OC to promote their agenda. Major changes are headed their way after McDonald incorporation. http://www.icarry.org/

Paladin
10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I love living in the belly of the beast. Indigestion is amusing to watch.

-Gene
Plus, I'm sure it keeps you motivated. :chris:

dantodd
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Alabama: I could not find any organization/website for taking AL from their very liberal May Issue (de facto Shall Issue) to actual Shall Issue in the law (de jure Shall Issue).

Having lived in Alabama I can say that many of the counties are very tight knit communities and the idea of may issue works well for the locals. They pretty much all know the sheriff and as long as 90% or so of the applications are approved they are comfortable that the other 10% are folks they wouldn't want to have a gun anyway. Unfortunately their definition of "folks they wouldn't want to have a gun" may diverge wildly from the intention of the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause.

locosway
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM
It's IA not IO... :rolleyes:

My wifes sister lives there with her "partner" that she married. It's very liberal and when we visited I had a lot of problems with the people she knows. Now, I understand that the people she knows likely are similar to her, but I just couldn't stand it.

We were cross country skiing (my first time on skis) and one of her MD friends started to whine and cry because he didn't get his way. A part of me died that day, it really did...

Paladin
10-17-2009, 12:11 PM
It's IA not IO... :rolleyes:

My wifes sister lives there with her "partner" that she married. It's very liberal and when we visited I had a lot of problems with the people she knows. Now, I understand that the people she knows likely are similar to her, but I just couldn't stand it.

We were cross country skiing (my first time on skis) and one of her MD friends started to whine and cry because he didn't get his way. A part of me died that day, it really did...Fixed the abbreviation.

Can't fix your sister.

locosway
10-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Fixed the abbreviation.

Can't fix your sister.

IN LAW!!!

My real sister is much more normal even if I do think she's weird!

Paladin
10-17-2009, 12:30 PM
IN LAW!!!

My real sister is much more normal even if I do think she's weird!

:rofl2:

yellowfin
10-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I too am from Alabama and I can tell you that the May Issue there is virtually shall issue and there's very little incentive for it to change. It's only may issue in name because to have a pistol in your car to take it to and from anywhere you need the license, so you put on your application "As required by law for all proper purposes." It's $20 a year and same day walk in renewal, less than 10-15 minutes in fact. I just wish it was more than just 1 year at a time so mine would have lasted longer than it did, but now I have New Hampshire's non resident license for when I'm down there.

dantodd
10-17-2009, 2:35 PM
I too am from Alabama and I can tell you that the May Issue there is virtually shall issue and there's very little incentive for it to change. It's only may issue in name because to have a pistol in your car to take it to and from anywhere you need the license, so you put on your application "As required by law for all proper purposes." It's $20 a year and same day walk in renewal, less than 10-15 minutes in fact. I just wish it was more than just 1 year at a time so mine would have lasted longer than it did, but now I have New Hampshire's non resident license for when I'm down there.

Your experience is much more recent than mine. One year is way too short though.

HondaMasterTech
10-17-2009, 5:10 PM
I posted this chart on the bulletin board at work when someone pinned up an article which stated that you are four times more likely to GET shot if you carry a gun. Everyone in the shop commented that California is a dangerous place to live. I pointed at my new state and smiled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

press1280
10-18-2009, 7:14 AM
I added this to the OP: "Iowa's counties appear a LOT smaller than CA's and there are almost twice as many of them (90 vs 58, despite IO being much smaller than CA), so it is much easier for them when moving to choose to move to a reasonable issuance county. They have only 1 county, Des Moine, which does not abut a reasonable issue county. Compare that to someone who works in San Mateo county, look how far away they'd have to commute to reside in a reasonable issuance county in the PRK."

I got a little curious to see what is going on in a few other non-Shall Issue states. So I searched a few minutes and found . . .

Maryland: http://www.marylandshallissue.org/ Looks like their website got an upgrade and they're getting more active.

Illinois and Wisconsin: looks like the two No Issue states are joining forces and using OC to promote their agenda. Major changes are headed their way after McDonald incorporation. http://www.icarry.org/
I'd say the "may-issues" of AL,CT, and DE are de-facto shall-issues. I was able to get a CT permit by mail, AL and DE have good reciprocity with shall-issues like FL and UT, meaning non-residents can also carry there. Although the laws may allow them to deny permits for any reason, the issuing authority is basically told NOT to deny unless for good cause.
MD had a "shall-issue" bill last session w/40+ co-sponsors, but it didn't make it to a full vote. Just like CA, MD has several highly populated, liberal areas(DC and Baltimore areas) that run the show and are dead-set against shall-issue.
WI will get CCW shall-issue very soon, they were 1 vote short of overriding the governor's veto a few years ago. IL has a vast majority of its counties wanting CCW, but King Daley doesn't believe in that. McDonald may help change that.
NJ also had a "shall-issue" bill, but 1 person in charge of a certain committee in the Assembly can totally block it. They're worse than CA, at least many counties in CA will issue, in NJ there are 400-500 civilian permits STATEWIDE, with 4-5,000 retired LEO permits. On a per citizen basis, NYC is probably easier than NJ.

yellowfin
10-18-2009, 8:20 AM
CT has problems in its may issue system in that they have highly populated left tilting areas too that give a number of permit applicants the runaround. They'll take the application when they want to--they're 95% shall issue AFTER that, but up to the point of giving you the application and then receiving it from you they'll pull the 12:15 to 1:30 Monday and Tuesday office hours stunt on you. That's the buzz on the matter I've been getting from people there. As for Delaware, the cheaper way than UT and FL is to get Maine's permit which is $60 instead of FL's $117 and UT's $80 & course which is usually $130+. Currently I run a combination of ME, NH, and PA to get what I need for travel; my wife will be doing FL since NH's permit went up from $20 to $100.

New York's process SUCKS but at least I'm in a good county and got a good judge--I'd have had Mr. Gura's team on speed dial if I didn't.