PDA

View Full Version : Do most ranges ban the use of steel core ammo?

PutTogether
10-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Just wanted to check before I bought a whole ton of it.

bballwizard05
10-17-2009, 12:27 AM
yes most ranges do, in fact some will even say they do on their website and then sell it an their range cough lytle creek cough. Stuff about fire hazard and has a much higher potential for riccote (or however its spelled) I would buy some of both. steel can be shot places and is waaaaay cheaper.

Hk996
10-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Angeles range, burro and lytle creek (i think) do not allow steel core. but on-target in south OC lets you shoot anything. only bad thing is it is no fun shooting an AR at 25yrds!

I bought a crapload of 545x39 for my AR specifically for when I go on a shooting trip to arizona. You can't have a high cap mag here anyways, so when I go to a free state, I'll bring out the high caps and let loose! You can't go wrong with 2150 rounds for 350!

bballwizard05
10-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Angeles range, burro and lytle creek (i think) do not allow steel core

You can't go wrong with 2150 rounds for 350!

Yea like i said most websites will say its not allowed, i just know lytle is pretty chill about it. Also where do you get 2000 rounds for 350??? i must know!

Hk996
10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
You just gotta keep an eye out! It will pop up on various sites and when it does I'll buy a case. Look at ammoman right now... 348 shipped 2160 rounds... 545x39 :)

I think I'll order another....

Hayashi Killian
10-17-2009, 12:47 AM
It's a hazard for ricochets as well as risks of penetrating through any barriers they've set up to stop rounds. Fire hazard I'm not so sure about, I think that's more for steel-cased ammo than steel-core.

bballwizard05
10-17-2009, 12:49 AM
i dont believe it! Im on the site now, I see good prices but nothing THAT good.

dchang0
10-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Fire hazard I'm not so sure about, I think that's more for steel-cased ammo than steel-core.

Both are a fire hazard--the steel core bullets can strike rocks and shower sparks on surrounding dry brush. Steel cases when ejected can be quite hot and start fires also.

Hk996
10-17-2009, 12:53 AM
i dont believe it! Im on the site now, I see good prices but nothing THAT good.

Did you click the 5.45x39 caliber? Its the only one listed in stock there... Russian 53 grain.

bballwizard05
10-17-2009, 12:55 AM
OMG why didnt i buy a 5.45 saiga!!! that is an AMAZING deal.

PutTogether
10-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Thank you much gentlemen.

Scratch705
10-17-2009, 12:59 AM
burro canyon "allows" magnetic ammo as long as it is wet from rain the day before or during.

unclejesse
10-17-2009, 1:16 AM
yes, you could always shoot it out in the desert

CSACANNONEER
10-17-2009, 8:04 AM
You can't have a high cap mag here anyways, so when I go to a free state, I'll bring out the high caps and let loose!

What the HELL are you talking about? There is no law banning possession or use of any size ammunition feeding device in California. Please, think about what you are typing and be careful not to spread misinformation. I legally use my legally owned +10 round mags, drums and belts in California all the time!

Hk996
10-17-2009, 8:47 AM
What the HELL are you talking about? There is no law banning possession or use of any size ammunition feeding device in California. Please, think about what you are typing and be careful not to spread misinformation. I legally use my legally owned +10 round mags, drums and belts in California all the time!

Not trying to spread misinformation... but if someone just reads your post and doesn't look into the law, they might go out to the range with a rifle not configured correctly and use high caps.

Last time i was at lytle creek, i witnessed this. Someone wasn't aware of the laws, AND the reregistration period of 2000, and they had a listed gun with high caps. :eek:

My wife always says... ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Rob454
10-17-2009, 3:16 PM
You can't have a high cap mag here anyways, !

you sure about that? I have plenty of 30 round mags that i got in 1999 for a AK. I on longer have the rifle but I still got the mags. so called high cap mags are completely legal in california as long as they were purchased before a certain date. And yes i can easily prove that I bought them before that date cause i got receipts.

Not trying to spread misinformation... but if someone just reads your post and doesn't look into the law, they might go out to the range with a rifle not configured correctly and use high caps.
Last time i was at lytle creek, i witnessed this. Someone wasn't aware of the laws, AND the reregistration period of 2000, and they had a listed gun with high caps. :eek:
My wife always says... ignorance of the law is not a defense.

your wife is right. If the guy is a idiot and doesn't know the law that's not your fault.

Hk996
10-17-2009, 3:34 PM
you sure about that? I have plenty of 30 round mags that i got in 1999 for a AK. I on longer have the rifle but I still got the mags. so called high cap mags are completely legal in california as long as they were purchased before a certain date. And yes i can easily prove that I bought them before that date cause i got receipts.

I understand that... but can you put them in your AK and shoot them in cali? That's what I meant when I typed that... and before you tell me you can if it is featurless.... I don't like the AR's that are featurless, much less a AK without its pistol grip...

ke6guj
10-17-2009, 3:42 PM
I can put them in my AK with all the evil features in CA just fine because it is a RAW.

I think the point the others had was, don't post absolutes like that when they aren't.

Hk996
10-17-2009, 3:44 PM
I can put them in my AK with all the evil features in CA just fine because it is a RAW.

I think the point the others had was, don't post absolutes like that when they aren't.

I see... but when people post some of the other things... someone who doesnt know the current laws can EASILY make a mistake...

SJgunguy24
10-17-2009, 3:52 PM
I understand that... but can you put them in your AK and shoot them in cali? That's what I meant when I typed that... and before you tell me you can if it is featurless.... I don't like the AR's that are featurless, much less a AK without its pistol grip...

Why not? I know to each their own but have you tried to shoot an AK or AR with a modified grip?
I find my Saiga conversions feel great with the MMG installed.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/002-15.jpg

I have modified PG's for my AR and AK homebuilds and they work great.