PDA

View Full Version : From PA purchasing CA RAW Lower Receiver ... Questions...?

CarnageZ28
10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Hello,

Just as the title says - I live in Pennsylvania.

However, a guy I know is selling a Registered Assault Weapon AR-15 Lower Receiver (Bushmaster). He and I are unsure of the procedure but believe he can just ship it to my FFL and I can have it transferred here in PA.

Is there any bull**** jurisdiction that will keep me from buying a RAW stripped lower that is in California if I am living in Pennsylvania?

Thanks all,

Joe:confused:

gunsmithcats
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
nope, once its out of the state the California DOJ is happy.
all he needs to do is a voluntary aw deregistration.

ke6guj
10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately, he can't just ship it to your FFL. CA law requires that he use a CA AW dealer to ship it to your FFL. The AW dealer will probably charge a fee for this since CADOJ charges the AW dealer for each AW that he ships out of the state (you'd think they'd waive the fee, lets them get another pesky AW out of the state, but nope).

Or, he could physically drive it out of the state, and then just ship it to your FFL then.

not to queer your deal, but why the heck is he selling you a RAW lower? He can't replace it. Can't you just use any other $100 lower receiver? Does it have to be a CA RAW lower?

nrakid88
10-16-2009, 11:00 PM
What an idiot I would die to have a RAW lower. And he is selling it...

tomd1584
10-16-2009, 11:25 PM

not in this state i wouldnt want one.

pacrimguru
10-16-2009, 11:58 PM
yes in this state, i would love to have one!

Spyder
10-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Welcome to Calguns, Carnage! Fancy we should meet here! :D

Steve O
10-17-2009, 12:17 AM

my guess is that it's not really registered...

ponderosa
10-17-2009, 12:20 AM

my guess too...:eek: (where's the chop saw when you really need it?)

joelukehart
10-17-2009, 12:48 AM

He stated that it is a Registered AW. I have three RAW's and if anybody wants them they are going to have pry them from my cold dead hands.

joelukehart
10-17-2009, 1:00 AM
not in this state i wouldnt want one.
Why not? Am I missing something by having detachable 20, 30, 40, and 100 round magazines for my reg. AR? You must be in love with bullet buttons and fixed 10 round mags. Or you might be a little jealous.

ke6guj
10-17-2009, 1:10 AM
He stated that it is a Registered AW. I have three RAW's and if anybody wants them they are going to have pry them from my cold dead hands.you sure would have to pay me more than $150 for it.

CarnageZ28
10-17-2009, 6:55 AM
Guy bought it as a complete lower, then stripped it out, sold the upper & LPK. All he has left is a supposedly registered RAW AR-15 receiver. He said he wanted $150.00.

Usually a Bushmaster lower is a little more so for me it seemed like a good deal - and he wanted to get rid of a RAW so for him it works out well. I just don't want to have the ATF knocking at my door because we didn't transfer it properly from Cali to PA.

So just to be sure I am on the same page here guys:

He WILL have to (legally) take it to a AW Certified FFL who will ship it to my PA FFL? If he were to just personally ship it - it would be illegal? But if he drove out of California, then he can just go to UPS and ship it to my FFL legally?

God I hate California Gun Legislators lol it is so confusing what is and what is not illegal.

Joe

CarnageZ28
10-17-2009, 6:57 AM
Spyder - Whats up man? Nice to see you over this way too! And we should def. go shooting some time. I work a crazy shift the next few weeks but maybe we can squeeze something in before it gets crazy with hunting season and the holidays.

Vin496
10-17-2009, 7:11 AM
He WILL have to (legally) take it to a AW Certified FFL who will ship it to my PA FFL? If he were to just personally ship it - it would be illegal? But if he drove out of California, then he can just go to UPS and ship it to my FFL legally?

Correct California laws requires that AW be sent by a register AW FFL. As stated it could cost a bit as a AW FFL is charged a fee every year by California based on how many AW they handle each year. So the person using them will have be charged to pay for this fee on top of what it cost to ship. Which in turn will make the lower more expensive for you.

Depending on where he lives and maybe if he is going out of State any time soon, it could be much more cost effective to have him ship from the USPS while out of State.

To be honest, it probably makes no sense to do this deal for you.