PDA

View Full Version : BIG 5's MOSIN-NAGANT SALE

Reardon_san
10-16-2009, 7:56 PM
I got their circular in the mail on Monday and I wanted to pick one up before the sale ends (Saturday). I am a big WW II buff and have kind of wanted to own one of these for a little while and it seems to be a pretty decent price (they had them on sale for $89 about 6 months ago), and that is about the price I picked up my Enfield years ago.
Can anyone tell me if it is worth it to shop these Big 5's sales, especially with these really old weapons? I think the manager said they were imported by Century Arms.
Thanks.

--Sean R.

Alaric
10-16-2009, 8:07 PM
Yes, definitely worth checking out, the price can't be beat. Be selective of the Mosin you pick out though, as they vary greatly in quality. Check the bore (should be shiny), make sure the serial #'s match, etc. Buyer beware. If you don't like the look of any on the shelf, ask if they have any more in back you can see. I've found some real jewels this way.

Be prepared to strip off all the cosmoline used to preserve the rifle, before you shoot it. Everyone has their preferred method of doing this, from heat guns to ovens, to brake cleaner and boiling water.

Rogerbutthead
10-16-2009, 8:43 PM
Depends on the store manager too, one guy wouldn't let me take the rifle bolt out or even give it much of an inspection - a take it or leave it type guy - that was the one on Blossom Hill in San Jose - said he instituted the same policy at the one near Eastridge Mall too, so had to go to another one to check one out and buy it - the one in Milpitas.

snobord99
10-16-2009, 9:31 PM
I got one about a month ago and LOVE it. Shoots like a champ and I didn't have to clean much cosmo off of it. Some say just get your C&R and order one online for $80 or something, but I prefer to be able to inspect it myself which you can do at Big5.

Sign up for their email list and use the 10% off coupon. It says no firearms on it, but the guy took the 10% off w/o even mentioning that it says firearms are excluded.

Mr Wizard
10-16-2009, 9:56 PM
I've bought "more than one" 91/30 and M44's from big 5 when they were $49 bucks. All but one are decent shooters, but a couple were butt ugly so I bubba'd them pretty good. I just ordered one from AIM surplus w/ my C&R for $79.00 and it shipped to my door with all the goodies. I won't badmouth Big 5, but for what's it's worth, get your 03ffl and enjoy.
Jeff

luckystrike
10-16-2009, 10:07 PM
too bad none of them are C&R. I asked the manager at big5 in rancho
"any of these C&R?"
him-"whats that"
me-"older than 50 years"
him-"umm....durrrr"
Me- "its when you dont need a background check/waiting period"
him-(WITH AN EXTREEEAMLY SHOCKED LOOK ON HIS FACE)" NO! absolutely not! you need a background check/ waiting period for any gun!
me-:rolleyes: "bye"

LOL

jamesob
10-16-2009, 10:13 PM
"any of these C&R?"
him-"whats that"
me-"older than 50 years"
him-"umm....durrrr"
him-(WITH AN EXTREEEAMLY SHOCKED LOOK ON HIS FACE)" NO! absolutely not! you need a background check/ waiting period for any gun!

LOL
when you buy from a dealer you still do the dros and 10 day wait unless you have your c&r and coe then that eliminates your 10 days, but you still do all the paper.so he was right. and yes they are c&r.

luckystrike
10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
when you buy from a dealer you still do the dros and 10 day wait unless you have your c&r and coe then that eliminates your 10 days, but you still do all the paper.so he was right. and yes they are c&r.
dang. maybe time to look into getting an 03ffl :]

well, you cant beat the price of a mosin, but from my experance with century they like to kinda frankenstien their guns. never had any problems with their guns, its just that I would like all matching and origional parts.
cant beat an $80 rifle tho!

ke6guj
10-16-2009, 10:23 PM
"any of these C&R?"
him-"whats that"
me-"older than 50 years"
him-"umm....durrrr"

LOL

Umm, incorrect. Even though they are C&R, you still have to do the waiting period and background check because you are purchasing it from a dealer. If you ahve a C&R FFL + COE (Certificate of ELigibility), you are exempt from the 10-day wait, but still have to DROS it.

If you have both the C&R+COE, and they tell you that you have to still do the waiting period, thats when you ask to talk to the manager, and if you still get the wrong answer, have them call corporate. From many posts here, a call to corporate will usually set them straight.

ke6guj
10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
dang. maybe time to look into getting an 03ffl :]

Here is my condensed guide on how to get a C&R FFL

Go to http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm and request F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms. . On-line copies of the application you may find are out-of-date, obsolete, and not acceptable by BATF.

They will mail it to you, fill it out per the instructions, send one copy back to BATF +$30, send second copy to CLEO that you refered to on the form, wait ~2 months, receive approved C&R FFL in mail.

YOu can purchase C&R firearms (no AW's or NFA stuff) while out of state, cash-and-carry, and bring back with you with no in-state dealer needed. C&R handguns that are brought in require you to submit a C&R handgun report within five days. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

C&R long guns over 50 years old can be purchased in-state from any non-dealer or can be shipped into the state via a mail/phone/web order. Any C&R handguns purchased in-state must go through a CA FFL. If you also get the COE, then you can DROS C&R firearms and take them home immediately, no 10-day wait.

To get the COE, Certificate of Eligibility, download the app at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf. Just follow the directions on how to fill it out. Included in the directions is a URL to a list of Live Scan locations where you'll have your fingerprints electronically scanned and sent to CADOJ and the FBI.

The COE is more expensive, around $100 in fees for the first year, but the renewal is something like $20 bucks per year. It has a very limited use in CA, but when used in conjuction with the C&R exempts you from the 10-day wait on C&R purchases from a dealer (still must DROS it), and exempts you from the 1-in-30 handgun regulations for ALL handguns, modern and C&R.

Your CLEO is your local police chief and/or county Sheriff.

You can also check out http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp for more info.

Jarhead
10-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Look for those ex-Snipers especially the Tula's marked with a "cn". The Ishevsk will have the scope serial number stamped on the LH side of the receiver above the magazine. Check inside the Receiver for holes with screws used to plug them, if you see the screws and the barrel looks shinny take her home. You can buy the Scope and Mount on e-bay and restore a Sniper. I have found PU, PE and a PEM at Big 5 MN Sales, visited half a dozen stores though and I usually got to see six -twelve rifles. Pick one then say you want to look for a 2nd.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/9130sniper.htm
http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/sniperphotos1.asp