PDA

View Full Version : Some one tried to break into my house

LongBch_SigP226
05-22-2005, 3:32 PM
Sheesh... I found out someone tried to break into my condo today.
It happened around lunch time. If you live in L.A. area you know
how sunny and hot it is today (Sunday). I was home minding my own
business but thugs attempted to break into my house through the patio door.
My neighbors saw them and called the cops. I wouldn't say my neighborhood
is all that great but it's a gated community so I was hoping it was
somewhat secure. What pisses me off is that it was broad day light,
many of my neighbors were outside, and I was home through this ordeal
and didn't even know it.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

LongBch_SigP226
05-22-2005, 4:00 PM
You know I used to laugh at the idea of people carrying guns inside their own home. Pretty soon I might have to do just that.

gimmejr
05-22-2005, 4:32 PM
Gated communities are a joke if theres no guard at the entrance. All you do is wait to follow behind someone in their car once they open the gate. Thats how I get into my freinds apartment complex at night.

LongBch_SigP226
05-22-2005, 4:40 PM
So it was you that tried to break into my house?
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

USCG1988
05-22-2005, 7:20 PM
I do carry when its just me at home, my roomate would not like it if i did it while she was home.

We did get robbed about a year ago while i was in Vegas and she was out of town working. Lucky we had an alarm that was ON. Cops came and the noise must have sent them running.

USCG

LongBch_SigP226
05-22-2005, 7:55 PM
I have a 90+ lbs dog (my alarm system) but had the windows closed, and A/C blasting inside the house. I guess my dog didnt know what was going on. It's okay I guess, I was literally few feet away from my 12 gauge and .45ACP. I was told cops got them. Hopefully, it'll be okay for now. Man, I had the garage door accidentally open almost all night yesterday and nobody bothered to steal stuff from my garage. Today I had everything closed and they decide to attempt breaking into my house during day time? WTF is up with that?

PGBsuperior
05-22-2005, 8:04 PM
Originally posted by DingChavez:
You know I used to laugh at the idea of people carrying guns inside their own home. Pretty soon I might have to do just that.

This kind of thing is EXACTLY why I carry at home. If it's not on my belt its' right by my right hand. When I'm asleep a P220 is under my pillow full of Hydrashoks.

Amy

LongBch_SigP226
05-22-2005, 8:52 PM
When I'm home, I usually wear underwear only or maybe a T-shirt and sweat pants. How do I carry in that case? LOL

I just shoved my glock in my sweatpants pocket and that didnt work too well.

Turbinator
05-22-2005, 9:25 PM
I am also a big advocate of carrying while you're at home doing regular chores, etc. It's when you least expect it, that's when something happens.

I use a cheap IWB holster to carry around the house - works well for me. If it's not on my person, it's usually nearby ready to go. No kids, and none visit, so I'm generally ok for now.

Turby

walkerboh4269
05-23-2005, 9:41 AM
Originally posted by gimmejr:
Gated communities are a joke if theres no guard at the entrance. All you do is wait to follow behind someone in their car once they open the gate. Thats how I get into my freinds apartment complex at night.

It still a joke when there is a guard. I used to work as a guard at a gated community and all gated communities and gate guards do is provide a false sense of security.

And lets face it as far as the people who would break into your home are concerned if you can afford to live in a gated community you have better stuff to steal.

Leo762
05-23-2005, 1:47 PM
i got a dumb Q. is it legal to carry inside your house or buisness without any kind of licence?

spendbabyspend
05-23-2005, 4:18 PM
It's your private property/private business. I don't see why not. Store clerks at Jackson Arms carry.

Ford8N
05-23-2005, 4:37 PM
If you live some place that you need to carry in your own house.......it's time to do something. Otherwise the sh*theads are pulling your strings like a puppet.

LongBch_SigP226
05-23-2005, 5:07 PM
Originally posted by Ford 8N:
If you live some place that you need to carry in your own house.......it's time to do something. Otherwise the sh*theads are pulling your strings like a puppet.

I did some research before I moved in. I chose this area because of lack of violent crimes. But I noticed property related crimes are a little high. Oh well, I rather have my house broken into than getting shot at.

kalibear
05-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Good neighbors, you should bake them a cake http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

imported_dadoody
05-24-2005, 10:31 AM
I keep my revolver locked up and the bullets are in a firesafe. I have some glazer safety slugs in the package in my drawer just in case.

For immediate protecting, all I have openly in a can of mace, and a 41" Katana Sword. I prefer the sword for close quarter combat.

LongBch_SigP226
05-24-2005, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by Leo762:
i got a dumb Q. is it legal to carry inside your house or buisness without any kind of licence?

Yes it is legal to carry inside your house. Just make sure kids don't get a hold of your guns though.
Yes it is legal to carry inside your business. That means if you own a pawn shop, jewelry shop,
gun store, etc., you are allowed to carry inside. That's both open and concealed.
If you are employed by someone else then you need the business owner's permission and to be safe,
it should be written down and signed.

If you have a house with a yard facing the street, I wouldn't recommend you go outside
with holstered weapon even if you stay within your property line.
Your neighbor might call 911 about "a man with the gun" and cops might show up
at your door and hassle you. To me, it's not worth it.

edw794
05-25-2005, 3:07 AM
hello,

as a retired law enforcement officer, and a former burglary investigator, i would like to warn people that most residential burglaries occur during the daylight hours.

ed

delloro
05-25-2005, 7:15 AM
If you live some place that you need to carry in your own house.......it's time to do something.

Like what?

Turbinator
05-25-2005, 9:57 AM

Home invasions could happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. I personally wouldn't go as far as to think that I'm immune - that would be just plain ignorant, I think.

Turby

icormba
05-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ed:
hello,

as a retired law enforcement officer, and a former burglary investigator, i would like to warn people that most residential burglaries occur during the daylight hours.

ed

I was just going to say the same thing about daylight hours, but what is odd is that it was on a Sunday.

delloro
05-26-2005, 3:07 PM
what's so odd about that? you didn't think they were in church, did you? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

blackmajik530@aol.com
05-27-2005, 1:54 AM
Originally posted by delloro:
what's so odd about that? you didn't think they were in church, did you? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

you mean they dont confess their LONG list of sins each sunday??

LongBch_SigP226
05-27-2005, 6:19 AM
Originally posted by ed:
hello,

ed Thanks for your valuable info.
That makes more sense. During the weekdays, people are at work and on the weekends people are most likely out shopping, etc.

imported_dadoody
05-27-2005, 7:38 AM
Just about everyone house around my neighbor hood has been burglared or robbed. I live in a pretty safe community too (cerritos). 2 of my neighbor's who were burgled were on trips. This means that people knew they were going to be gone. A family friend whose home was broken into was in Las Vegas at the time. I think a lot of people who are burgled while on vacation tell the wrong "friends" and associates what's up.

My home has yet to be broken into because someone is always home.

NYC2SoCal
05-27-2005, 8:30 AM
Originally posted by Turbinator:
Home invasions could happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone.

I agree. If I were home alone, I'd answer the door with a "friend". Home invasions are on the rise in some of the more affluent areas of SoCal. I knew it was a big thing in NYC back in the late 90s.

Turbinator
05-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by NYC2SoCal:
I agree. If I were home alone, I'd answer the door with a "friend". Home invasions are on the rise in some of the more affluent areas of SoCal. I knew it was a big thing in NYC back in the late 90s.

Absolutely. Carrying at home isn't as ridiculous as one might think. I'm packin' right now, in fact.. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

One thing about home invasions - there doesn't have to be any sense or logic as to WHY *your* place gets picked. All there needs to be is a *perception* on behalf of the invaders that your place houses something desirable, that they can pluck easily. A false tip, a wrong address, or something along those lines could make your place a target inadvertently.

That is my #2 worry.

My #1 worry is that the cops come to my place with the wrong address, bust down the door with a warrant looking for contraband, and I react thinking it's a home invasion. No winners in that scenario at all. However, I don't lose sleep over it - chances of it happening are (hopefully) remote.

Turby

esskay
05-28-2005, 2:27 PM
One thing about home invasions - there doesn't have to be any sense or logic as to WHY *your* place gets picked. All there needs to be is a *perception* on behalf of the invaders that your place houses something desirable, that they can pluck easily. A false tip, a wrong address, or something along those lines could make your place a target inadvertently.
Turby

Have you guys seen that Discovery show "It Takes a Thief" ? Interesting series which has former burglars casing neighborhoods, showing home owners how vulnerable their homes are, and then making improvements.

Bling Bling
05-28-2005, 5:09 PM
That's terrible about the burglary! I've been tossing around the idea of buying another gun safe, this might just push me towards it.

I had my car broken into and a stereo stolen right in front of the house I lived at in Cupertino, CA in broad daylight. They didn't get the stereo but got the faceplate and bunch of burned cd's. The replacement face plate was $10 on ebay (not a local sale). And it was about $9 worth of new cd-r's, but the window they broke cost me $120!

But for the next week I slept with the gun under my pillow and was all jumpy when I heard noises out in front of the house.

Turbinator
05-28-2005, 8:17 PM
Where in Cupertino are you? It's supposedly a "nice neighborhood" but I personally have other thoughts about that. Friend of mine had the 4 rim caps stolen right off of his Honda Accord in his driveway; they also had someone steal one of their license tags right off of the plate. All of this happened in Cupertino. Then again, there are punks everywhere, you can't get away from them, and they're mobile too, so even a "good neighborhood" can have mobile crooks looking to score easy targets.

Turby

Bling Bling
05-28-2005, 9:37 PM
Where in Cupertino are you? It's supposedly a "nice neighborhood" but I personally have other thoughts about that. Friend of mine had the 4 rim caps stolen right off of his Honda Accord in his driveway; they also had someone steal one of their license tags right off of the plate. All of this happened in Cupertino. Then again, there are punks everywhere, you can't get away from them, and they're mobile too, so even a "good neighborhood" can have mobile crooks looking to score easy targets.

Turby

I lived on Tantau Ave and Stevens Creek. I think the Cupertino/Santa Clara border was pretty close, but it's not like SC is a dangerous area either. You just never know. I moved to Sunnyvale last year and now in Mountain View.

imported_1911_sfca
06-03-2005, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ford 8N:
If you live some place that you need to carry in your own house.......it's time to do something.

Like what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carry in your own house.

By the way, I don't agree with the premise. Deciding where to live involves weighing the pros and cons of many things, including your tolerance for crime.

Deciding whether to carry at home, to me, is pretty much unrelated to the crime level for the most part, unless you live in a war zone like Compton or Hunter's Point. Crime can happen anywhere (even in "safe" places), and how you defend yourself against potential crime doesn't have much to do with where you live. Fortunately it is still your choice to carry at home in Kali.

Don't pre-judge other people's decisions on where they live with statements like "the criminals have you on strings." I live in a very high-crime neighborhood in the heart of the city, but there are incredible benefits that I would never trade to live in the burbs -- I would die of boredom. Other people have different priorities than you.

delloro
06-03-2005, 7:34 AM
are you talkin' to me? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Turbinator
06-03-2005, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by Bling Bling:
I lived on Tantau Ave and Stevens Creek. I think the Cupertino/Santa Clara border was pretty close, but it's not like SC is a dangerous area either. You just never know. I moved to Sunnyvale last year and now in Mountain View.

Small world. The street on which the thefts I spoke of took place is on Tantau - but not on the Steven's Creek side. I know where you're talking about, though. I'm not too surprised - while the houses are expensive around there, it just "feels" like it's not really a super safe neighborhood. Strange - it's a very desirable area for people with kids, as the school districts are supposed to be really good.

So is Mountain View treating you well? There used to be a gun store off of El Camino, but it closed up a few years ago.

Turby

Turbinator
06-03-2005, 8:39 AM
are you talkin' to me? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

No, I think he was aiming these comments at Ford8N.

Turby

Bling Bling
06-09-2005, 6:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bling Bling:

Mountain View is okay because it's central to everywhere in the bay area. It's just depressing that I can never buy a house, and I take in a fair amount.

Yeah I remember about 2 years ago the cops were doing some kind of crazy house to house search on Tantau. They had a police dog run the backyard. I looked up and saw cops in the back yard and was like WTF? As soon as I opened the door to go see what was up, they screamed "shut the door, stay inside". My dog was going bonkers.

Small world. The street on which the thefts I spoke of took place is on Tantau - but not on the Steven's Creek side. I know where you're talking about, though. I'm not too surprised - while the houses are expensive around there, it just "feels" like it's not really a super safe neighborhood. Strange - it's a very desirable area for people with kids, as the school districts are supposed to be really good.

So is Mountain View treating you well? There used to be a gun store off of El Camino, but it closed up a few years ago.

Turby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>