PDA

View Full Version : Slings: Troy VS Magpul

Nessal
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm in the market for a sling and was looking at the Magpul and Troy single point slings. It seems to me that the Troy has a better shoulder padding than the Magpul but the magpul has more disconnect points which is nice. Does anyone have both of these and can give a better review of the quality, durability, useability? Thanks!:chris:

Flying Bones
10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
If you need padding then the Magpul may not be for you. I threw the troy out...too much padding, not enough function.

tomd1584
10-16-2009, 1:17 PM
I dont have any experience with either of those, but please also consider the Blue force gear 1 point pt. sling, and also the wilderness tactical 1 point sling. The padding on the BFG is incredibly comfortable. the Wilderness tactical sling is very simple and a lot of good reviews over on m4carbine.net

dchang0
10-16-2009, 2:46 PM
Magpul's MS2 has far too little padding. I've stopped using them for this reason. Try wearing a 8lb carbine slung in 1pt for six hours while humping gear and ammo back and forth. IT SUCKS. I switched back to Urban ERT slings which have the same functionality but are far more comfortable (no padding, just wider belt).

The Troy sling is too hard to adjust and adapt--like Flying Bones said: "not enough function."

Nessal
10-16-2009, 3:36 PM
Lol man talk about decisions. I guess magpul and troy are out the door. I'll look into the ones that yall mentioned.

Eckolaker
10-16-2009, 3:44 PM
I rock MS2, I actually don't like the bulky padding, so I adjust the strap to kinda use my existing gear padding for comfort.

Works for me.

Codelphious
10-16-2009, 8:22 PM
Magpul's MS2 has far too little padding. I've stopped using them for this reason. Try wearing a 8lb carbine slung in 1pt for six hours while humping gear and ammo back and forth. IT SUCKS. I switched back to Urban ERT slings which have the same functionality but are far more comfortable (no padding, just wider belt).

The Troy sling is too hard to adjust and adapt--like Flying Bones said: "not enough function."

Where you running a full vest, or just chest pouches?

I'm also considering the magpul due to the functionality and my awkward ambidexterity, but for extended use I'd probably run with a vest, so I'm wondering how the comfort would be in that situation.

dchang0
10-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Where you running a full vest, or just chest pouches?

I'm also considering the magpul due to the functionality and my awkward ambidexterity, but for extended use I'd probably run with a vest, so I'm wondering how the comfort would be in that situation.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I have tried the MS2 with a full vest, no plates, for seven hours and it was perfectly fine/comfortable. In a way, the MS2 has an advantage over other slings if worn over a vest in that it has very few things to hang up on pouches, MOLLE webbing, etc.

But I just couldn't stand using it without any vest or padding (just over a BDU), so I gave it up for something that works in both situations, vest or no vest. The Urban ERT was designed by a SWAT team leader, so it works well over a plate carrier/vest too.

You did bring up an interesting point, though, one I hadn't considered until you just asked it.

dot429
10-17-2009, 9:15 AM
I'm in the market for a sling and was looking at the Magpul and Troy single point slings. It seems to me that the Troy has a better shoulder padding than the Magpul but the magpul has more disconnect points which is nice. Does anyone have both of these and can give a better review of the quality, durability, useability? Thanks!:chris:

If you are like most people, you'll end up with a bag of slings and attachments before you find the one that you can live with. Sling gear kinda comes and goes. I used to be a big fan of the Specter Gear stuff, then I tried the Viking, and now I'm running MagPul with their ambi-plate with the ringy-thingy on the bottom end. I like the MagPul sling, a little thin with a heavy gun, but the ringy-thingy attachment plate is a PITA, it gets bound up between the collapsible stock and the plate.

There is no ONE perfect solution, you'll have to try a few to figure out what works best for you. If you've got some friends who will let you try theirs on, that's a start. The gun show would be a good place to finger-didle a few as well.

One of the best slings I've got is some no-name sling with HK style hooks, it works fine and was all of 12 bucks at the gun show.