PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, need help, quick question

BigBoyBlue
10-15-2009, 7:57 PM
Hi, im new to the forums, been browsing a while but never posted.

Currently own a Glock 22 and recently purchased 2 new LAR Grizzly AR-15 lowers.

Im looking at DPMS and Stag Arms lower parts kits.

Im starting to order parts to build them and was wondering who makes the better parts kit for the lowers.

Also, since I live in the retarded state of California, I have to purchase the bullet button release or something like it correct?

Anyone know the best place to pickup these parts cheap?

Thanks all.

Katch

technique
10-15-2009, 8:00 PM
Stag LPKs are better than DPMS for a number of reasons, one being better/beveled rollpins, that makes for easier installation for someone as new as you.

You can pick up bullet buttons or Rad locks from any of the various forum vendors, just click one of the banners.

Cyclepath
10-15-2009, 8:07 PM
I would pick Stag over DPMS if I had a choice. However, I have never had too many issue with either one. Yes as Technique mentioned, any of the forum vendors will have them. Riflegear comes to mind.

BigBoyBlue
10-15-2009, 8:11 PM
Thanks guys.

Any opinions on the bullet button vs one of those in state out of state 2 position deals?

I dont plan on using either of my guns in California, I will be using them in Parker and Bullhead, Arizona. Those 2 position buttons are interesting but are they really worth it, or should i just stick to the bullet button and call it a day?

Cyclepath
10-15-2009, 8:17 PM
I've always used this one -> http://riflegear.com/p-58-bullet-button.aspx. I've never used any of the other mag locks. I am sure somewhere can share their experience with the Radlocks and others. When I am out of state, I put on the regular mag release button to prevent being ridiculed. :p

technique
10-15-2009, 8:17 PM
Up to you entirely. If you plan to do most shooting out of state, get the Radlock.

BlackReef
10-15-2009, 8:18 PM
I always use either a Stag LPK or DPMS, never had any issues.

Have fun

pontiacpratt
10-15-2009, 8:20 PM
I bought a Double star LPK for my grizzly and it installed without a hitch.

BigBoyBlue
10-15-2009, 8:25 PM
Awsome. You guys are great when it comes to information.

I just found out riflegear.com is about 5 miles from me, maybe i will take a drive down there tomorrow. Not sure if they are internet only or if they have a retail showroom. I will call in the morning.

Sunshine
10-15-2009, 8:38 PM
I would not recommend DPMS for the lower parts kit. I recently helped my dad put together his lower with a DPMS kit. The trigger guard was damaged such that you could not compress the detent to install it on the lower. I was not impressed.

I was however much more impressed with the quality of the RRA kit I used on my lower.

megamachine
10-15-2009, 8:45 PM
Rifle Gear has a retail show room. the guys are friendly and knowledgeable. i don't like the raddlock, stick with a prince 50 magazine lock then take the allen screw out when you leave the state.your rifle will look and function normally.

megamachine
10-15-2009, 8:50 PM
o'yeah i almost forgot, go with Stag

NRAhighpowershooter
10-15-2009, 8:51 PM
I have assembled 16 lowers.. 14 are my own.. here's a breakdown of LPK's used:

2 Rock Rivers
2 CMMG's
1 Stag
9 DPMS

NONE had any issued not even the DPMS's

But.. it seemed to me that the Rock River triggers were the heaviest.

diginit
10-15-2009, 9:56 PM
I like the Radlock myself, Have an RRA LPK. Trigger is alitle stiff, But I think it the same with all stock LPK manufacturers. Just have a trigger job done of get a set of JP springs. There are other trigger groups available. Some just drop in. Do a google on AR-15 triggers after you get the LPK and get used to the rifle.

Harley
10-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I've installed 2 Stag LPK's and a NM RRA LPK with no issues, I actually want to install a DPMS LPK in a Spikes lower thats sitting in my safe, just begging to be built.:D

I have read alot of mixed reviews on them, but at $49.99 for a (DPMS) LPK, I would'nt mind using one.

BigBoyBlue
10-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Just got home from RifleGear. They were very helpfull as were all you guys.

I got the Stag LPK for both lowers, magpul stocks for both, and a Stag upper for one of my rifles, havent decided on the other yet.

Thank you all.

By the way, I strongly recommend RifleGear to anyone in the area looking to make a purchase. Super friendly and knowledgable, not A-holds like some of the others in the area.