PDA

View Full Version : are the new AR-180B rifles legal without the pistol grip?

09-18-2005, 4:09 PM
the original 180 is not legal but i did not see the new ar180b on the list. it seems that on the safe pistol list the berreta 96 is legal but not a 96d. so this should be legal right?

09-18-2005, 4:28 PM
i just looked over the list again and i did see the ar180 but no ar180b. is there a double standrd between the pistol list(exact model) and the rifle list. the m96 is not on the list and is legal why is the ar180b that is not on the list not legal?

09-18-2005, 4:59 PM
yes the armalite ar180b is not on the list. without a pistol grip it should be legal. i am going to call and email armalite and the doj to see what they say.

Mike
09-18-2005, 5:01 PM
Good luck. Seriously..

09-18-2005, 5:08 PM
Since the AR-180 is on the list, wouldn't adding a B to it make no difference? I am not sure if it applies to the AR-180 series in general. Even if you could get it, that doesn't look like it would be very comfortable without a pistol grip.

dwtt
09-18-2005, 5:18 PM
Originally posted by cowboydude2:
yes the armalite ar180b is not on the list. without a pistol grip it should be legal. i am going to call and email armalite and the doj to see what they say.
Don't waste your time calling, they'll tell you it's illegal even if it's not. Send a letter, registered mail with delivery receipt. Otherwise, they will never reply to your letter.

bwiese
09-18-2005, 7:21 PM
The DOJ's Assault Weapons Identification Guide, and the Roberti-Roos law contained in PC 12275/12276, mentions that the Armalite AR180 is banned.

The fact that Armalite's name has been bought & sold and the current Armalite is a new company, is likely irrelevant.

Given that the 180B has essentially the same "assault-weaponnness" as the 180, and is still made by a company called Armalite, would lead me to believe many DAs could consider it as banned.

It's just TOO close to the wire. Additionally, what the DOJ interprets this ultra-fine line as vs. one of the 58 county DAs may differ. There could be some real legal wrangling whether the law meant "any company named Armalite" vs "the Armalite that made the original AR180 way-back-when". Also, is the "-B" model so close that it becomes a series member? There might not be any Harrott v Kings County protection here (unreliable at best) since this is soooo close there's little wiggle room, and 'legislative intent' would be pretty clear (unlike FN-FAL 'named' rifle vs Imbel FAL clone 'by features' rifle).

To do something like getting an AR180B, without a pistol grip, I'd think a sane person would want to have it made by a different (non-Armalite) company.

Bill Wiese
San Jose