PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Questions

PowderApe
10-15-2009, 6:54 PM
First: You guys are a wealth of information!! Thanks in advance for your input!

My kid brother is coming down from Washington State. He comes down a couple of times a year. He's bringing down his Taurus Judge and a couple of other toys.

We've been thinking of swapping guns to each other so we can play with them for a few months. He's planning to leave the Judge with me till he comes back in a few months... This is NOT a sale, trade or other permanent transfer.

Secondly, he has a couple of guns NOT on the DOJ list that he wants to sell and I'd like to purchase via a Private Party Transfer. In the past, I've purchased several used consignment handguns from FFL's that were not on the approved list but they were from California residents.

Any ideas or thoughts? I know it's not legal advice but your thoughts are very appreciated....

BigDogatPlay
10-15-2009, 7:29 PM
The Judge is considered a short barreled shotgun in California. If your brother brings it into the state, he commits a felony stepping across the border. You commit a felony if you possess the Judge in California in any way shape or form within California.

PPT from out of state resident has been discussed a number of times recently. Search tool is your friend on that question.

Librarian
10-15-2009, 7:53 PM
... but the short of it is, PPT is implemented as between two California residents. Since your brother is a WA resident, the transfer becomes an INTERSTATE transfer (the location of the gun is irrelevant, it's the states of residence of both the buyer and seller that matter) and as such is not exempt from the Roster.

bodger
10-15-2009, 8:03 PM
Yikes , leave that thing at home. I mean HIS home.

One of my friends in Ohio has a CCW and that Judge is his legal EDC.

A bit of differernce between the state laws I say.