PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to buy a gun from some guy in another state and have him ship it here?

radlations
10-15-2009, 4:33 PM
So I read a bit about buying a firearm off a website from a private party in another state. I was planning on buying my 22 rifle off a guy on Gunbroke dot com.

My question is being that i live in san jose california, am I allowed to buy a 22 from some guy in South Carolina and have him ship it to his FFL and have his FFL ship it to my FFL(which is big 5s).

2 problems arise.

1) This is a transfer from another state. Is this legal?

2) Im using this website but I am buying it from a person. Is this still considered a private party transfer?

halifax
10-15-2009, 4:46 PM
So I read a bit about buying a firearm off a website from a private party in another state. I was planning on buying my 22 rifle off a guy on Gunbroke dot com.

My question is being that i live in san jose california, am I allowed to buy a 22 from some guy in South Carolina and have him ship it to his FFL and have his FFL ship it to my FFL(which is big 5s).

2 problems arise.

1) This is a transfer from another state. Is this legal?

2) Im using this website but I am buying it from a person. Is this still considered a private party transfer?

It is legal as long as there is a CA FFL involved

This is NOT what CA considers a PPT. CA defines PPT as two residents meeting face-to-face at a dealers shop.

If you can find an FFL that will accept from a private party, you could save some money on the shippers end.

You should not have to pay sales tax because it is a sale between private parties.

five.five-six
10-15-2009, 4:50 PM
if it's a C&R and you are a 03 holder

radlations
10-15-2009, 5:24 PM
bah....ths means that I would have to go somewhere like roger's relics.

And their fees are relatively low but high based on my standards.

So I might as well go to Bay Area Gun Vault and pay about 100$ more for a rifle that people can buy in other states for 100$ less.

Btango05
10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
It is legal as long as there is a CA FFL involved

This is NOT what CA considers a PPT. CA defines PPT as two residents meeting face-to-face at a dealers shop.

If you can find an FFL that will accept from a private party, you could save some money on the shippers end.

You should not have to pay sales tax because it is a sale between private parties.

So I too am interested in buying a rifle from a guy in St. Louis.... he said he called around and alot of shops laughed at him... he said one shop said they will do it for $150. But you're saying if I find an FFL that accepts from a private seller I can avoid the seller having to pay the $150 that he would then pass on to me???? Please elaborate....

lorax3
10-16-2009, 2:09 AM
But you're saying if I find an FFL that accepts from a private seller I can avoid the seller having to pay the $150 that he would then pass on to me???? Please elaborate....

If you can find a CA FFL who is willing to accept a firearm from a private party (non-FFL) then your 'guy in st. louis' can ship it directly to the CA FFL.

Some dealers prefer it comes from another FFL located in the sellers state.

Legally, as long as the firearm goes through an FFL on the receiving end you are good to go.

tenpercentfirearms
10-16-2009, 5:35 AM
For some reason dealers feel it does something to receive it from another FFL. Personally I think it is stupid because on long guns, they aren't going to run the numbers so it isn't like you are going to figure out it is stolen and have to go through that drama. Second, I could care less if a gun someone else paid for comes up stolen. I just surrender it to law enforcement and that is your headache as a consumer, not mine.

I accept guns from anyone. The government is already restrictive enough, I don't need to help them out with my own over-reaching restrictions.

kemasa
10-16-2009, 9:14 AM
To avoid sales tax, you need to have the seller write a letter stating that it is a private sale, an occasional sales and that they don't have a business.

The reason that many FFLs don't want to accept a firearm from a private party is because it is harder to document where it came from and many FFLs don't want to give a copy of their FFL to a non-FFL (they can actually just give the info for the ezcheck webpage). It is safer and easier for the FFL to have these rules since there is less questions about the transaction when it comes from another FFL. Another reason is that some FFLs might feel that they are losing money by helping with private sales, when in fact they might lose a lot of sales because of their attitude.

If you can not find a FFL near you who will accept a firearm from a non-FFL, it would be cheaper to have the seller ship it to a FFL who will accept it and then have them forward it to a FFL in your area. The double shipping and FFL fee would be less than $150.