PDA

View Full Version : Stocks & accuracy

jaymz
10-15-2009, 4:19 PM
Another thread got me thinking again (I know.....bad idea), but anyway, here goes. I've heard more times than I can count, that switching from one type/style/brand/whatever rifle stock to another, will affect the accuracy of the rifle. How so? In my feeble 40 year old mind, it isn't physically possible. I have a Savage 10FP, pre-accutrigger, with the factory synthetic stock. I can hit a 4" target at damn close to 400 yards with so-so optics (crappy optics according to most). If the above statement is true, when I change stocks, I will need to readjust the zero on my scope. But my question is this: the scope is attached to the receiver, not the stock. How will changing the stock affect ANYTHING other than how the rifle feels in my hands? Please enlighten me.

ocabj
10-15-2009, 4:24 PM
Yes, the zero can change with a different stock.

Harmonics of the gun will be different with a different stock.

Get a good in. lb. torque wrench so you can find the sweet spot for your stock actions screws.

swerv512
10-15-2009, 4:27 PM
recoil lug slop...
i figure harmonics shouldnt really change so long as the barrel is free-floating...

Fjold
10-15-2009, 6:21 PM
I can change the point of impact of my rifles by varying the the stock screw torque.

swerv512
10-15-2009, 6:29 PM
I can change the point of impact of my rifles by varying the the stock screw torque.

is there a systematic approach, shooting high = torque front screw, or is it more random