PDA

View Full Version : Radio reporter at local shop asking gunnies about AB962.

BamBam-31
10-15-2009, 2:47 PM
Was at Bain & Davis this morning, and there was a radio reporter from X-something or other asking customers what they thought about AB962. When she got to me, I almost declined the interview outright, then decided to just give her curt answers instead. I gave her the usual "Gun control laws don't reduce crime. They only affect law-abiding citizens" spiel. She asked if it was going to affect my ammo purchases, to which I replied, "Not really. I make my own." Then she asked if I thought it was an invasion of my privacy to be fingerprinted for ammo purchases. I shrugged and said, "Well, I didn't get fingerprinted when I bought my cup of coffee at Starbucks this morning." That made her laugh, and she moved on.

Anyways, her being there made me realize a couple things (after the fact, of course):

--We should all be ready to answer questions like these, as it is an opportunity to present our views to the public. I tried my best not to sound like an angry gun owner (which the general public would not be sympathetic towards, obviously), but I probably failed. Pretty simple exercise: What would a reporter ask, and how can I answer said questions in a persuasive pro-2nd manner? Never really thought it out beforehand, however. Writing out rote media responses in a sticky might be a good idea for us lazy types.

--There's something inherently illogical about passing more laws to address law-breakers. If gun laws are to be "sensible" at all, they should have built-in sunsets (say, two years or so), whereupon said law is independently reviewed to see if it had any significant impact on aforementioned crime reduction goals. If it didn't, toss it. Why infringe on rights if there are no significant and demonstrable social gains as a result?

--A good comparison for the general public might have been alcohol. What if you had to be thumbprinted every time you bought a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's (to screen out people w/ DUI records)? Would you feel it an unnecessary invasion of your privacy? And how effective would that be, really, in preventing DUI's (when a friend/family member can buy it for you)? What if you had to get an ASC (Alcohol Safety Certificate) every five years in order to purchase alcohol? "For the children," "if only one life is saved," etc.

Anyways, as annoyed as I was to have to answer her questions, I was more annoyed with myself for letting an opportunity to present our side slip by. Sorry, fellas. I'll try to be more prepared next time.

dantodd
10-15-2009, 3:14 PM
Was at Bain & Davis this morning, and there was a radio reporter from X-something or other asking customers what they thought about AB962.

Another excellent reason for all CalGunners to have CGF contact info on them at all times. It would have been great if you could have given her a phone number to call to get the real story from a local California group. They would probably be disinclined to talk to the "evil" NRA gun lobby but might warm up more to a local organization.

Mute
10-15-2009, 3:15 PM
Where the hell were these interviews before AB962 passed?:mad:

bigcalidave
10-15-2009, 3:45 PM
They will go for those alcohol restrictions soon enough.

RedMenace8
10-15-2009, 5:38 PM
I thought that was you I heard on KNX(1070), the news station. I was listening to the Balloon Boy story through the day and heard the story a couple of times. It might repeat again before the day is out, btw.

They played your quote about the law only affecting the law abiding. It did sound a bit rushed but more like someone not used to being interviewed. Unfortunately they ended the story with a long soundbite from some guy who was all for the law.

They could have easily just used that guy's quote but I thought that what you said came off as clear and concise going to one of the major issues with the law. Given the generally anti bias of media, even if you had made longer statements they might not have bothered to put it out there. The shorter quote I think served you better.

You had to have made some impact if they used your quote. So good job.:D

Rob454
10-15-2009, 5:43 PM
--A good comparison for the general public might have been alcohol. What if you had to be thumbprinted every time you bought a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's (to screen out people w/ DUI records)? Would you feel it an unnecessary invasion of your privacy? And how effective would that be, really, in preventing DUI's (when a friend/family member can buy it for you)? What if you had to get an ASC (Alcohol Safety Certificate) every five years in order to purchase alcohol? "For the children," "if only one life is saved," etc.

That is what i would use. PERFECT

BamBam-31
10-15-2009, 6:04 PM
I thought that was you I heard on KNX(1070), the news station. I was listening to the Balloon Boy story through the day and heard the story a couple of times. It might repeat again before the day is out, btw.

They played your quote about the law only affecting the law abiding. It did sound a bit rushed but more like someone not used to being interviewed. Unfortunately they ended the story with a long soundbite from some guy who was all for the law.

They could have easily just used that guy's quote but I thought that what you said came off as clear and concise going to one of the major issues with the law. Given the generally anti bias of media, even if you had made longer statements they might not have bothered to put it out there. The shorter quote I think served you better.

You had to have made some impact if they used your quote. So good job.:D

They should have used my coffee quote instead. :p

Greg-Dawg
10-15-2009, 6:19 PM
No disrespect Bam, but what was the result of the interview? Was it published, televised or announced regarding anti-AB962 responses? Or was it a true waste of your time...

Personally, I wouldn't give a flying flip since reporters give itching ears what they want to hear. And I bet she edited most of your pro-2A answers.

BamBam-31
10-15-2009, 6:51 PM
Agreed. Initially, I was pretty annoyed with her just being there. Why show up at a gun store AFTER Arnie signs AB962 into law, if not to rub salt, right? And what's to stop her from doing a Couric-Palin number w/ whatever gunnies say? Nevertheless, I felt it was an opportunity to state what I believed in a matter-of-fact way, so I played ball. I just wish I said something more resonating....