PDA

View Full Version : AB962 - "200 in Sacramento"-Really? Who?

not-fishing
10-15-2009, 3:23 PM
I keep seeing

Last year in Sacramento alone, almost 200 dangerous criminals who were not legally entitled to own firearms or ammunition walked into a store and bought ammunition. Because Sacramento had this program in place, the criminals were arrested for purchasing ammunition.

Really??

Who were they?? (These 200 dangerous criminals:confused:)

How do we go about finding out the true amount and convictions / charges from the Athorities?

I'm wondering if this quote is like ----- "150% of firearms that come to Mexico come from California" --- basically Absurd on it's Face

Mark

mtptwo
10-15-2009, 3:24 PM
Call SacBee and ask to see their sources.

ke6guj
10-15-2009, 3:27 PM
Do I hear a PRAR in the future?

Flopper
10-15-2009, 3:32 PM
OMG, Two HUNDRED???

That's almost as bad as the thousands of others that did this on street corners and back alleys.

Thank God 962 is around to stop that from happening anymore :rolleyes:

smallshot13
10-15-2009, 3:39 PM
I am still trying to find out where in Sacramento they are buying ammunition. There can't be more than 3-4 stores in the entire City that sell ammunition. I have done some internet research, but find few listings. No Walmart sales in the City. There are Big 5 stores, but most, if not all of them do not sell ammunition of any kind.

DarkHorse
10-15-2009, 3:43 PM
RCGE sells ammo in Sac, as do several pawn shops.

smallshot13
10-15-2009, 3:47 PM
DarkHorse: By RCGE, if you refer to Rancho Cordova Gun Exchange, that is in Rancho Cordova, not the City of Sacramento. I am not interested in buying ammunition in the City of Sacramento, but establishing a record of stores that do sell ammunition so we can validate wild claims like this reported by the OP. If we can get Calgunners to report a listing of shops within the City limits that sell ammunition, we can get some idea of total annual sales, to check against claims of offenses.

dantodd
10-15-2009, 3:54 PM
That only means that 200 prohibited persons were picked up for something else such as assault, armed robbery, murder etc. and in the course of interrogation admitted to buying the ammo in Sacramento. There is nothing that says they used dealer records to track down the bad guys or that they went down on a "buying ammo" rap. I would wager that this was just an add-on violation to a long list of felonies these morons committed. Plus the Sacramento law is probably not valid because ammo restrictions should fall under state preemption.

Ten Rounder
10-15-2009, 4:37 PM
I have been thinking about this since viewing AS's signing video today. The law is based upon the testimony of bla bla bla Who? The true facts are behind a mask and since this has pass is there any redress for the real facts to come out?

Can we find a smoking gun and call "YOU LIE". Now that they have won what is the real effort in finding the truth. I suspect there is some padding in there that is not real, and all we have to prove is the the reporting numbers are not correct to prove our point. 200 criminals where not all that dumb, where they?

Or is this 200 number as sum total of the state? Is there a public record of who said what and when?

If criminals go to jail and are convicted, there is a record of the investigations and that's in the all the court proceedings.

This almost like what is happening to US with the OPD about the the firearms disclosure and how the Mag registration ws to come about.

/rant

jb7706
10-15-2009, 4:37 PM
DarkHorse: By RCGE, if you refer to Rancho Cordova Gun Exchange, that is in Rancho Cordova, not the City of Sacramento. I am not interested in buying ammunition in the City of Sacramento, but establishing a record of stores that do sell ammunition so we can validate wild claims like this reported by the OP. If we can get Calgunners to report a listing of shops within the City limits that sell ammunition, we can get some idea of total annual sales, to check against claims of offenses.

RCGE=River City Gun Exchange. 2370 Fruitridge Road Sacramento, Ca. 95822. In Sac City limits.

boxbro
10-15-2009, 4:49 PM
Even if they did jail these criminals, how long were they sentenced for ?
I'm sure they could care less about having another conviction on their record and when they get out and want to buy ammo they wont be making the same mistake.

not-fishing
10-15-2009, 5:10 PM
Who said they had to do jail time???

Maybe a 48 hr in lockup like if you get picked up on a DUI but no serious time.

To bad we couldn't have them picking tomatoes (paying them $6/hr of course).

How about just extending the "dangerous criminals" probation a little longer?Oh-yeah, the DA's already done that

but if we catch you again they'll be no 7th chances --- it will be the 8th or 9th or 10th chance.

CSDGuy
10-15-2009, 5:33 PM
There's another gun shop that has a "Sacramento" address but is NOT legally within the City of Sacramento... and that would be: Just Guns. Their address is in the 3530 Auburn Blvd building. (It's 3538...) and according to the Sacramento Assessor's office, that building is in Unincorporated Sacramento County...

Jerkdog
10-15-2009, 6:18 PM
I posted this presentation in another thread...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3202411#post3202411

This may be one of the sources for the SacBee article. The presentation covers a period from Jan 16, 2008 thru June 29, 2008. In that period they logged 2,250 purchasers of ammo, with 74 of those being "prohibited persons". And about half of those persons were labeled as prohibited persons for a previous non-violent felony conviction...so I'm not sure I'd consider those persons the violent, baby-killing, gangbangers that the proponents of this program would attest. Also no mention of how many arrested persons were later released and charges were dropped. They'll only cop to a whopping 11 felony convictions based on these arrests (I'm assuming of course that some of these cases are/were still pending, so the conviction number will likely increase).

PS - the Sac City program appears to include an electronic log system that is electronically forwarded to the Police Dept...who themselves acknowledge that they are unsure how long they can sustain the follow-up investigations (i.e. actually use the information they collect) due to the intensive nature of the program.

Lovely.

darkwater
10-15-2009, 8:59 PM
I posted this presentation in another thread...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3202411#post3202411

PS - the Sac City program appears to include an electronic log system that is electronically forwarded to the Police Dept...who themselves acknowledge that they are unsure how long they can sustain the follow-up investigations (i.e. actually use the information they collect) due to the intensive nature of the program.

Lovely.

Exactly...Sacramento is using a very proactive form of tracking ammunition purchases, where AB962 has no such corresponding electronic information being forwarded to the police. Sacramento is also tracking all ammunition purchases, not just handgun ammo purchases. Ironically, if AB962 hadn't been watered down so much to be ineffective, it wouldn't have passed because of how costly it would have been to be as proactive as the Sacramento program.

axhoaxho
10-15-2009, 9:08 PM
OMG, Two HUNDRED???

That's almost as bad as the thousands of others that did this on street corners and back alleys.

Thank God 962 is around to stop that from happening anymore

Exactly. Now AB962 just introduces a whole new market on selling ammos illegally in California...

Regards,

Shane916
10-16-2009, 2:41 PM

hahaha.

Shane916
10-16-2009, 2:43 PM
Oh and to contribute to this thread. The Sports Authority on Arden is in the city and does sell ammunition.