PDA

View Full Version : Do you think gun stores wanted AB962?

SKSer
10-15-2009, 2:57 PM
Im just throwing this out here for discussion, but do you guys think that gun stores were in support of this for the pure simple reason of no more internet sales, and forced local buying? The local gun stores around me did not seem that worried about it. Im not going to name the names of the store as I dont want to spread false rumors. I mean sure they have to keep records and possibly purchase more equipment, but in return, they think they are getting no internet competition. The only way we can ship into cali is by paying a surely hefty transfer fee. I attempted to buy a gun out of state once and the california FFL wanted to charge me like 50 bucks in addition to the dros.

liquidmx
10-15-2009, 3:08 PM
I agree and hinted at this in the thread regarding "how to grow calguns 10x". There are two major types of gun shops...those who love the sport and are behind the 2nd rights fight...and those who are in it purely for the business aspect.

freakshow10mm
10-15-2009, 3:15 PM
I attempted to buy a gun out of state once and the california FFL wanted to charge me like 50 bucks in addition to the dros.
Yes, that's called a transfer fee. If you don't like paying transfer fees and think no one should be charged transfer fees, you're more than welcome to get an FFL and do transfers for free. Let me know how that works out.

I think gun shops know two things will happen simultaneously. People will buy from them or go out of state and buy it. They will make a bit more money but they will also lose money. I think more people will be buying out of state or getting a C&R/COE exemption to continue to buy direct from an out of state source. I think it will be just like the CFLC crap. Only a few will do it in the beginning and then 6 months to a year down the road more people will be riding coat tails.

If AB962 doesn't get repealed/changed severely, it will be interesting to see how the fallout plays out.

stillnotbob
10-15-2009, 3:22 PM
I know of one gunstore that did not want it to pass. They thought that it would affect their sales on ammo... which made up a lot of their overall sales. Which in turn would led to less taxes for the state.

johnny_22
10-15-2009, 3:26 PM
Look at Reeds, Guns,Fishing and other stuff, or the Bay Area Gun Vault. Not too much room behind the counter for those cases of ammo. The no self service will encourage those smaller stores to stop carrying ammo.

MT1
10-15-2009, 3:28 PM
The news video from last year about Deleon's ammo bill had a gun store owner in Sac saying he had no problem with the bill. I don't doubt for a second that a good percentage of local gun shops like it.

Legasat
10-15-2009, 3:47 PM
I spoke with serval gun store owners, and they ALL agreed with us:

AB962 = Bad

rambo
10-15-2009, 3:52 PM
I think it will hurt way more than it will help the gun shops... every one i have talked to will just make trips out of state to make large purchases for a fair price before the law even was sighned i quit buying ammo from gun shops who is going to pay 25-30 dollars a box for fmj 45? or even 20+ dollars for a fox of blazer 9mm! there is no way i cant swallow it and a LOT of people in the gun community feel the same way. They will sell some but not to me. Latly I wait for the gun show and I get several cases for below walmart prices and i am good to go... so now (2011) my gun show will be in arizona! Backpack the grand canyon and load down with ammo on my way home! My two cents.

dantodd
10-15-2009, 4:08 PM
I suspect the gun stores know that every person who goes out of state, or takes the effort to get a COE/C&R will end up spending more on ammo on their forced trips or shipments than they might otherwise. They will also be more likely to make other small purchases as add-on sales that would normally go to the gun store. All because they don't want to be bothered to give their fingerprint to buy ammo. It will cost the gun stores in both ammo sales and in other small high-margin items and pretty much leave them to selling big items, guns, and emergency purchases. I doubt many would be in favor of the law. How many gun stores refused to carry the CGN flyers?

FeuerFrei
10-15-2009, 4:17 PM
I agree that some shops may like the government eliminating the internet competition. You have to jump through more hoops to get it which means more hassle for consumers. You'll have to buy local or drive to the border.
Not all shops like 962 but some do/will.
I got tired of my local dealer telling me he can't get anything in quantity.
Still ammo shortage? I'm still wondering why.
No net ammo sales will slow me down for sure.

DB2
10-15-2009, 4:20 PM
Yes. I believe they did want it. Not all shops, but most.

donstarr
10-15-2009, 4:34 PM
The news video from last year about Deleon's ammo bill had a gun store owner in Sac saying he had no problem with the bill. I don't doubt for a second that a good percentage of local gun shops like it.

A "gun store owner in Sac" is probably already living with worse (given that Sacramento's ordinance requires vendors to actually report, electronically, the gathered info to the PD within 5 calendar days of the transfer), so it's not surprising that he would have no problem with AB962.

rambo
10-15-2009, 4:42 PM
I agree taking weekend trips out of state just to buy ammo will be more than the Ca premium but ... you got to stand for something. how can you reward a state that denies you your rights by playing dirty. Sure its not the gun stores fault but there a casualty just like driving out of state to buy ammo. If you have not been stocking up for a while you should have been and i am sure it will get worse and who knows what is going to happen after the next election there will be mad people when the messiah does not have control any more.

SKSer
10-15-2009, 5:27 PM
I probably should have titled it "do you think some gun stores wanted AB962", because I know there are a lot of gun stores behind us and the 2A. I just spoke with one of my local gun stores and he affirmed he was against the bill, by all means, and agreed that it isnt going to prevent crap. We then talked about its affect on ammo sales, and, I said no matter what, im not buying crap if i have to put down all that info and give a thumb print, and most people on CG's will not either. Then we got into talking about driving out of state and what not, and he said one thing he knows for sure is if Walmart stops there sales, which I personally heard from a walmart employee they will (even though it is just and employee), then the gun stores sales will go up big time. He was also un-aware of the fact that you can mail order and send it to an FFL, but he didnt seem like they were interested in it. He said basically "if I have everyones ammo showing up at my door, then im gonna have to charge people for it". But it didnt sound like they planned to advertise to do that.

sorensen440
10-15-2009, 5:28 PM
The gun stores I frequent have been a big help in getting the word out about how bad this bill is

IGOTDIRT4U
10-15-2009, 5:32 PM
The gun stores I frequent have been a big help in getting the word out about how bad this bill is

Cool avatar, Sorenson!

I went to one store since the bill passed. They said that they were told by many other store owners that this bill was a good thing. How can you fight against that?!? Total POS.

JJE
10-15-2009, 5:37 PM
I'm wondering how many new ammo stores are going to open just over the state line.

marc4
10-15-2009, 9:03 PM
CFLC and AB962 has the same effect for gun stores. More business for them.

I posted a thread early on calling on gun stores to come out in the open and say they were against AB962. But was told that it was not the time to get into that argument. Maybe now is the time?

rklute
10-15-2009, 9:15 PM
Look at Reeds, Guns,Fishing and other stuff, or the Bay Area Gun Vault. Not too much room behind the counter for those cases of ammo. The no self service will encourage those smaller stores to stop carrying ammo.

Remember this only applies to handgun ammunition. Rifle and shotgun ammunition does not have to be out of reach. Putting a lockable glass/plastic front on the handgun ammunition shelves, like cigarettes or expensive liquor is stored should be sufficient. I would suspect that having it more than arm's reach behind the counter and the counter access latched would also be adequate.

unusedusername
10-15-2009, 9:29 PM
I went to a lot of gun shops passing out the 962 flyers...

Nobody wanted it to pass.

The record keeping aspects of it are just one more way that the state can forcibly close down a business: "This 5 year old finger-print is smudged! Give us your business license!"

EDIT: That and many stores in this area pander to the common customer, the casual hobbyist. If it gets too expensive or too "hard" to shoot, they will just take up paintball instead. The less people in shooting, the less money they make.

Fire in the Hole
10-15-2009, 9:42 PM
Any where near me, it would be a moot point, because there is no handgun ammo to buy, with or without the new law. The shelves are bare. I don't mean kind of, or sort of. I mean bare! Big 5, Walmart, and the one local gun store in my county, are absolutely sold out of any handgun ammo. I have to drive over to Reno, and hit up about 5 stores to get enough rounds to take professional training classes, where you burn up 700-900 rounds a day.