PDA

View Full Version : A weakness, perhaps?

Werewolf1021
10-15-2009, 1:37 PM
I was reading the Cal Poly fishwrapper and as usual for Thursdays the liberal commentator (Liberal Lens) is writing about the public option. Goes on about how U.S doesnt have moral authority unless they pass public option, blah, blah, blah. But here is the fun part. She quoted FDR's speech "Four Freedoms", even so far as to call if beautiful. But there is a part we may be interested in "This beautifully-written declaration lays out several rights already guaranteed by the US Constitution, such as “the right to life, liberty, and the security of person,”

Since Police cannot provide 24/7 protection to each and every American Citizen, I should be able to do provide my own security as I see fit through use of firearms through CCW, Castle Law, Open Carry, etc, etc since FDR affirmed that these are constitutionally given? I know to some liberals that think FDR is godlike so maybe it could be another reason to press for CCW and other means of self defense.

RRangel
10-15-2009, 2:14 PM
I think it's really convenient for such people to bring up FDR without mentioning the problems his legacy and ideas created. People like this commentator are frauds, fools, or even worse. This person brings up moral authority as if her and those of her ideology have a clue. Such are the hypocrites and their display of unearned moral authority with which they criticize others.

I really don't think our gun rights are going to appeal to gun banners in the spirit of FDR. The gun banners want power and by God they're going to force gun control upon us FDR or not. Good luck with it.

Technical Ted
10-15-2009, 2:19 PM
Being 1/4 Chinese I find the title of this thread offensive and demand it be locked and deleted! :mad:

Werewolf1021
10-15-2009, 2:21 PM
Being 1/4 Chinese I find the title of this thread offensive and demand it be locked and deleted! :mad:

Somehow I thought someone was going to say that...

mtptwo
10-15-2009, 2:26 PM

Bravo. I don't want this forum to slide down that slope

Flopper
10-15-2009, 2:27 PM
Not til recently did I realize how brainwashed America had been to believe that FDR was a good president who helped us through a difficult time.

In actuality his policies extended the Depression at the same time as he grabbed more and more power.

RRangel
10-15-2009, 2:31 PM
Somehow I thought someone was going to say that...

Of course don't change a thing. Some people just can't resist.

DB2
10-15-2009, 2:48 PM

Ted I hope really your joking.

a special weakness that provides a means for attacking or impressing someone otherwise invulnerable. Alludes to an opening in a suit of armor that allows a weapon to penetrate.

rkt88edmo
10-15-2009, 2:56 PM
The Chinaman is not the issue here Ted!

PS - Ted is not joking, he is donkey serious.

forgiven
10-15-2009, 2:59 PM
good call.

CalNRA
10-15-2009, 2:59 PM
IBTL

Maltese Falcon
10-15-2009, 3:02 PM
Haa.. I am 1/2 Chinese, born and raised in USA, and am not in the least bit offended. Sorry to thread jack...but this has to be put to bed.

Dictionary definition, below.

The pejorative term for those of Chinese descent references the "crack, cleft, etc" as a derogatory term for the Asian eye structure. Hence, the insulting term was adapted from the original meaning..

Chink

–noun
1. a crack, cleft, or fissure: a chink in a wall.

2. a narrow opening: a chink between two buildings.
–verb (used with object)

3. to fill up chinks in.
_____

Origin:
1350–1400; ME; perh. chine <http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chine&db=luna> 1 + -k suffix

Synonyms:
1. breach, rent, cut.

Haa... that is a good one also.. touche!

dantodd
10-15-2009, 3:03 PM

Perhaps he felt his heritage was getting gypped?

rkt88edmo
10-15-2009, 3:20 PM
Sorry, w/o a ** hat wearing avatar you have no authority to make such a suggestion.

**edited from sombrero

Ten Rounder
10-15-2009, 3:21 PM
Haa.. I am 1/2 Chinese, born and raised in USA, and am not in the least bit offended. Sorry to thread jack...but this has to be put to bed.

Dictionary definition, below.

The pejorative term for those of Chinese descent references the "crack, cleft, etc" as a derogatory term for the Asian eye structure. Hence, the insulting term was adapted from the original meaning..

Chink

–noun
1. a crack, cleft, or fissure: a chink in a wall.

2. a narrow opening: a chink between two buildings.
–verb (used with object)

3. to fill up chinks in.
_____

Origin:
1350–1400; ME; perh. chine <http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chine&db=luna> 1 + -k suffix

Synonyms:
1. breach, rent, cut.

Haa... that is a good one also.. touche!

Beat me to it, there is more than one meaning here to the word, and this is what I understood what the OP was talking about.

Ted, get over it

IBTL

Nose Nuggets
10-15-2009, 3:22 PM

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.

/the rug really did pull the room together, though

spyderco monkey
10-15-2009, 3:26 PM

By far the most deftly delivered pun I have ever read on the internet. Your awesome!

rkt88edmo
10-15-2009, 3:27 PM
Your awesome!

Indeed!

PS - apologies to the OP for threadjacking. I don't think most would give a rat's behind about the FDR quote re: security of person.

bwiese
10-15-2009, 3:32 PM
Being 1/4 Chinese ...

40% redneck.

And 0% Gudelish.

GJC
10-15-2009, 3:37 PM
Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.

/the rug really did pull the room together, though

Asian American Please. Donny Your out of Your element!

Werewolf1021
10-15-2009, 3:39 PM
Title changed due to serious OT....

curtisfong
10-15-2009, 3:43 PM
I'm half asian and i'm insulted that the title was changed.

It's an affront to the English language and English speakers everywhere that a perfectly good word has to be censored because it has a potentially offensive homonym (perhaps THAT word can't be used either?).

dantodd
10-15-2009, 3:45 PM
40% redneck.

And 0% Gudelish.

only 40%? Amateur. I was at a NASCAR race last weekend, for California that makes me 110% redneck.....

Peter W Bush
10-15-2009, 3:49 PM
enough of this PC crap, please

Good thread though

Peter W Bush
10-15-2009, 3:49 PM
enough of this PC crap, please

Good thread though

JDoe
10-15-2009, 3:56 PM

I know what you are referring to but really there is nothing offensive or related to being Chinese about the threads title, "A chink in the armor, perhaps?"

chink (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/a+chink+in+armor)
n
1. a small narrow opening, such as a fissure or crack
chink in one's armour a small but fatal weakness
vb
(tr) Chiefly US and Canadian to fill up or make cracks in
[perhaps variant of earlier chine, from Old English cine crack; related to Middle Dutch kene, Danish kin]
chinky adj

Maltese Falcon
10-15-2009, 3:59 PM
I'm half asian and i'm insulted that the title was changed.

It's an affront to the English language and English speakers everywhere that a perfectly good word has to be censored because it has a potentially offensive homonym (perhaps THAT word can't be used either?).

I'm with you curtisfong....

Werewolf1021: Your original Topic Title was exactly the right set of words for your post.

Now to FDR:

Four Freedoms huh?...sounds good on paper. What about the right to keep your wealth from robbery by the government? The gold coin confiscation of 1933 ring a bell with anyone?

Here is what he really said, not exactly a case for the 2nd amendment:

"The fourth is freedom from fear, which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor -- anywhere in the world."

You can listen to the original speech: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/fdrthefourfreedoms.htm

I think most people <40 yrs will be hard put to even name one accomplishment (or travesty) of the FDR administration.

Werewolf1021
10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I had not actually heard the speech before, but found it funny that it mentioned security of person as a constitutional right. Still waiting for my 24/7 police bodyguard even though he (or she) has no requirement to protect my person.... Oh well.