View Full Version : Buying from a friend out of state

10-15-2009, 11:08 AM
A good friend lives out of state (Georgia) and has a shotgun and a handgun he wants to get rid of. He's offered them to me but I'm not sure about getting them here. Does the transaction have to go through an FFL? And how would we ship them?



10-15-2009, 1:46 PM
I'm not an expert but from what I remember, any handgun would have to be on the "safe handgun" list in order to be shipped into CA and would have to be shipped from his FFL to yours. The shotgun I think would simply have to be shipped from his FFL to yours, no other restrictions on the long gun, so long as it's legal to own in CA, meaning not semi-auto magazine fed, and OAL is long enough... someone else with exact knowlege of the laws can chime in here, but that's what I remember from what I've read. Maybe he could ship directly to your FFL, but I'm not sure about that.

10-15-2009, 1:53 PM
Some good information here: Gunbroker.com Firearms Shipping Guide (http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1)

10-15-2009, 3:51 PM
Thanks guys. Jeff - that link is great.

10-15-2009, 4:43 PM
OK, both the shotgun and handgun would need to be shipped to your local FFL in CA. Check with your FFL to see if he'll accept shipments from nonlicensees. Not all will. SOme have a store policy to only accept shipments from other FFLs, which would then entail dealing with the CFLC program.

For the shotgun, as long as it is CA-legal, you are fine. You can use the shotgun legality chart to see how all the laws work on shotguns. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

Now, for the handgun, it has to both CA-legal, which you can confirm on the handgun legality chart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf , and be on the Roster of not unsafe handguns, http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ .

So, assuming that both items are legal in CA, and on the Roster, for the handgun, then you could have them transfered through your local dealer. You will need to have a Handgun Safety Certificate to get the handgun, will need Proof of Residency along with your CA DL/ID, and will most likely need to purchase firearms locks for each of the firearms. YOur dealer can charge whatever he wishes to facilitate the transfer, but most seem to be in the $50-100 range + $25DROS fee.

10-15-2009, 4:57 PM
My local dealer was $20 fee + $25 DROS= $45 total for an out of state transfer of a single handgun not too long ago. You're right though...the local indoor range wanted to charge me a total of $90 for the transfer. The range actually tried to claim it would be "2 transfers" so they had to charge me two fees of $45 each.

Also agreed that some FFLs will not accept out of state transfers from non-FFLs, even though it's not illegal to do so. My suggestion is to be friendly with the FFL and buy some other stuff (ammo/accessories) while he's doing the transfer, especially if the fee's not too bad and you're planning on doing more out of state transfers in the future.