PDA

View Full Version : New AB962 Press Release

CaliforniaCarry
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
From http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/13603

Governor Schwarzenegger Highlights Public Safety Legislation
New Law Will Keep Deadly Ammunition Out of the Hands of Criminals

Building on his commitment to keeping dangerous weapons off California’s streets and out of the hands of criminals and gang members, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today highlighted a bill he signed, AB 962 by Assemblymember Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles). This bill would require vendors of handgun ammunition transfers and sales to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner and require the face-to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

“My number one priority has always been public safety and protecting the people,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “I’ve signed laws that crack down on sex offenders, drunk drivers, gangs and drugs. And today, we are highlighting another very important bill I signed to help make our communities safer by keeping deadly ammunition out of the hands of criminals, gang members and violent felons.”

From Los Angeles to Sacramento, a total of 13 cities across California have enacted ammunition record-keeping laws with great success. Last year in Sacramento alone, almost 200 dangerous criminals who were not legally entitled to own firearms or ammunition walked into a store and bought ammunition. Because Sacramento had this program in place, the criminals were arrested for purchasing ammunition. AB 962 will take these local efforts statewide starting February 1, 2011 by enacting a uniform law that will not allow dangerous criminals to skirt around the system by simply going to the next city to buy ammunition. The new law will make it unlawful for a vendor to knowingly sell handgun ammunition to anyone prohibited from possessing a firearm and prohibit any person subject to a gang injunction from owning or possessing handgun ammunition.

Under Governor Schwarzenegger’s leadership, California became the first state to ban .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program and began the use of microstamping technology in handguns to provide law enforcement with an additional tool for solving crimes committed with semi-automatic handguns in California.

Harley Quinn
10-15-2009, 11:34 AM
The Governor announced he signed AB 962 on Sunday, October 11 along with a signing message you can read.

It may not be real popular with many of us, but there are many that feel it was/is a good idea. If you read some of the posts that have occured on SacBee opinion, them and us, been that way for some time.

Funny the more obnoxious statements are coming from many who disagree with it, toward others that do...

Not productive.:confused:

Regards

p7m8jg
10-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I didn't think they instituted the "microstamping" technology law...

HondaMasterTech
10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
I want to see the press release 5 years from now when this bill does jack to help solve crimes.

woodsman
10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
"help make our communities safer by keeping deadly ammunition out of the hands of criminals, gang members and violent felons.”

How about we just get these people off the streets?

spitkiss
10-15-2009, 12:05 PM
a total of 13 cities across California have enacted ammunition record-keeping laws with great success

Does anyone have any links (or info) which cities these were or what type of records were kept?

Capt. Speirs
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
"help make our communities safer by keeping deadly ammunition out of the hands of criminals, gang members and violent felons.”

How about we just get these people off the streets?

How about we secure our borders. What do you think a country would do if a bordering country invaded them and took their resources and committed unspeakable crimes to that country's citizens? War comes to mind? Not us!

bigcalidave
10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Under his leadership... CA became the first to ban .50 cal... Maybe that wasn't leadership? Why does he keep acting like that ban stopped huge crimes from occurring!

steelrain82
10-15-2009, 2:57 PM
seriously, how mant crimes against anyone were commited with a .50 cal rifle. i could understand (dont take this the wrong way) .50 cal pistols. seeing as how a crime is more likely to be committed with that. i mean who really is gonna lug around a barret (or similar) and rob people.

CowboyShooter
10-15-2009, 3:00 PM
Building on his commitment to keeping dangerous weapons off California’s streets and out of the hands of criminals and gang members, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today highlighted a bill he signed, AB 962 by Assemblymember Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles). This bill would require vendors of handgun ammunition transfers and sales to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner and require the face-to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

golly gee Mr. Governor, I feel safer already.

:rolleyes:

ttboy
10-15-2009, 3:13 PM
KFI 640 did a story on AB942 today which was balanced it stated that the traitor the gov. signed it because Sacramento has this law and has captured 200 felons and what floored me more the report stated that the gov is also a gun owner, yea right, thanks for screwing us.

steelrain82
10-15-2009, 3:35 PM
do you think if he walked into a shop to buy ammo he would give his fingerprint everytime i doubt it. and hell even his own wife doesnt follow his laws, talking on the cell phone while driving.

red headed stranger
10-16-2009, 3:16 AM
I want to see the press release 5 years from now when this bill does jack to help solve crimes.

Unfortunately, that press release will also be clamoring for more gun control, "because we still aren't doing enough!" :rolleyes:

Casey
10-16-2009, 7:32 AM
do you think if he walked into a shop to buy ammo he would give his fingerprint everytime i doubt it. and hell even his own wife doesnt follow his laws, talking on the cell phone while driving.

Remember a couple of years ago when he got in a motorcycle accident with his daughter on the back of the bike. Guess what? No motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license. I saw him and his posse ride in and out of the Rock Store on Saturday mornings for years before that little incident. When you are special you don't need or have to follow the law of commoners.

bodger
10-16-2009, 7:57 AM
A few LEOs on this board have expressed their disdain for AB962.

I wonder if any of the LEOs that protect Ahnold every day are of the same opinion that this law is B.S.

pigiron
10-16-2009, 8:10 AM
My concern with the passage of AB962 does not revolve around the reduction in the sale of dangerous handgun ammunition, but whether this is just the start. Will dangerous rifle and shotgun ammunition be next?

bombadillo
10-16-2009, 8:20 AM
If I didn't shave my head, i'd pull my freakin hair out!!! Other than hearing that jackhole talk, it just kills me to watch this unsubstantiated useless bunch of words. There will be no safer communities out there because they took down one fingerprint from a guy buying ammo. They will go after law abiding target shooters who purchase large amounts of ammo and guarantee some kind of rights infringement later on down the road from our police state. This just kills me.

hill billy
10-16-2009, 8:25 AM
Anybody listen to the press conference? He stated his first priority was public safety, then the first reporter questions why his wife was jeopardizing public safety by talking on her cell phone while driving. The KNX went to Bain and Davis and interviewed customers buying ammo who said they were all for it. Thanks a heap, you sellouts.

Greg-Dawg
10-16-2009, 8:34 AM
I wonder if those 200 dangerous criminals are still out on the streets. And the ammunition vendors are at risk for unknowingly selling to felons.

From Los Angeles to Sacramento, a total of 13 cities across California have enacted ammunition record-keeping laws with great success. Last year in Sacramento alone, almost 200 dangerous criminals who were not legally entitled to own firearms or ammunition walked into a store and bought ammunition. Because Sacramento had this program in place, the criminals were arrested for purchasing ammunition....The new law will make it unlawful for a vendor to knowingly sell handgun ammunition to anyone prohibited from possessing a firearm and prohibit any person subject to a gang injunction from owning or possessing handgun ammunition....

Mute
10-16-2009, 8:37 AM
Nice going peckerhead. Now, you've created another area where criminals can build a thriving and profitable black market for themselves.

Riodog
10-16-2009, 8:58 AM
Bet Mike Dillon is going to get flooded with orders for the 1050 all going to So Central and Oakland this year.
"HOMIES RELOADING SERVICE"
"Remember, always stop and p/u your brass after every drive-by. Not only will we reload it for a nominal fee but you'll feel better about cleaning up the environment as well."-> Homey

Rio

team1320
10-16-2009, 9:00 AM
boils my blood watching that video... no further comment, you guys pretty much summed it up..

ZRX61
10-16-2009, 9:04 AM
Remember a couple of years ago when he got in a motorcycle accident with his daughter on the back of the bike. Guess what? No motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license. I saw him and his posse ride in and out of the Rock Store on Saturday mornings for years before that little incident. When you are special you don't need or have to follow the law of commoners.

I almost ran into the back of his group of clonies when I came up on them in a bend doing 25mph in a 55...
I'm kinda looking forward to seeing him at the RS again sometime so I can speak my mind ;)