PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Our efforts might be having an impact!

H Paul Payne
10-15-2009, 9:24 AM
We are hearing that Governor Schwarzenegger will have a press conference today with the LAPD and will explain why he signed AB 962.

Politically speaking: Politics is pain or pain avoidance. He chose pain.

Maybe he's feeling the (political) pain already.

If he doesn't like our actions so far, I doubt he will be happy when firearms owners ramp-up the political pressure later.

Paul

GuyW
10-15-2009, 9:29 AM
Mmmmm - I like wayward politicians to feel pain....

jb7706
10-15-2009, 9:39 AM
Smells like blood in the water...let the sharks gather.

five.five-six
10-15-2009, 9:40 AM
Smells like blood in the water...let the lawyers gather.

FTFY

ripcurlksm
10-15-2009, 9:42 AM
Good to hear Paul.

You have to take things with a grain of salt. Someone posted here a rumor that the governors cabinet hinted that they would oppose AB 962 and support the Cow Palace ban. The opposite turned out to be true.

:)

H Paul Payne
10-15-2009, 9:46 AM
Good to hear Paul.

You have to take things with a grain of salt. Someone posted here a rumor that the governors cabinet hinted that they would oppose AB 962 and support the Cow Palace ban. The opposite turned out to be true.

:)

You noticed that I called it a "rumor" or is the "roomah" ???? :D

kf6tac
10-15-2009, 9:47 AM
The way I heard it, it's a public signing ceremony - more like rubbing salt in the wound, probably with De Leon close at hand to gloat and extol the "virtues" of this bill.

ripcurlksm
10-15-2009, 9:48 AM

Absolutely Paul, any 'rumors' you post are welcomed :cool2:

dantodd
10-15-2009, 9:55 AM
If he doesn't like our actions so far, I doubt he will be happy when firearms owners ramp-up the political pressure later.

I hope you are right, it would be interesting to hear how he wants to spin this in a way he feels will placate us. It will, hopefully, a telling indicator of where and how was can apply pressure next go 'round, with aAB357 or AB373 etc.

soundwave
10-15-2009, 9:57 AM
What a joke. I will never understand their thought process.

Barbarossa
10-15-2009, 9:57 AM

"It's not a Rooomah!!!!"

Swatter911
10-15-2009, 9:59 AM
Just got this email from the gov:

GAAS:621:09

For Immediate Release: Contact: Aaron McLear

Thursday, October 15, 2009 Rachel Arrezola

916-445-4571

Governor Schwarzenegger Highlights Public Safety Legislation

New Law Will Keep Deadly Ammunition Out of the Hands of Criminals

Building on his commitment to keeping dangerous weapons off California’s streets and out of the hands of criminals and gang members, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today highlighted a bill he signed, AB 962 by Assemblymember Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles). This bill would require vendors of handgun ammunition transfers and sales to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner and require the face-to-face transfer of ammunition sales.

“My number one priority has always been public safety and protecting the people,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “I’ve signed laws that crack down on sex offenders, drunk drivers, gangs and drugs. And today, we are highlighting another very important bill I signed to help make our communities safer by keeping deadly ammunition out of the hands of criminals, gang members and violent felons.”

From Los Angeles to Sacramento, a total of 13 cities across California have enacted ammunition record-keeping laws with great success. Last year in Sacramento alone, almost 200 dangerous criminals who were not legally entitled to own firearms or ammunition walked into a store and bought ammunition. Because Sacramento had this program in place, the criminals were arrested for purchasing ammunition. AB 962 will take these local efforts statewide starting February 1, 2011 by enacting a uniform law that will not allow dangerous criminals to skirt around the system by simply going to the next city to buy ammunition. The new law will make it unlawful for a vendor to knowingly sell handgun ammunition to anyone prohibited from possessing a firearm and prohibit any person subject to a gang injunction from owning or possessing handgun ammunition.

Under Governor Schwarzenegger’s leadership, California became the first state to ban .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program and began the use of microstamping technology in handguns to provide law enforcement with an additional tool for solving crimes committed with semi-automatic handguns in California.

The Governor announced he signed AB 962 on Sunday, October 11 along with a signing message you can read here.

liketoshoot
10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Talking with my FFL today all he had to say was he needs more room to store all the paperwork this will generate that the DOJ, LEO's, ATF, will never come by and look at.
Unless there is something on a persons license when they show it to the cashier at time of check out anyone can still by ammo, yet if you wear glasses it is on your license, how about they put "convicted person on parole" or something like that on their drivers license or ID card?

jaymz
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Nevermind.

mikehaas
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
What a joke. I will never understand their thought process.
You give them waaay too much credit and I don't mean that as a joke. Thinking, reason, logic has no place in anti-gun legislation. Gun control is always about politics, not public safety.

Here - watch government educate itself as to how gun control doesn't work. Watch them complain to the LCAV representative that it's all about getting people elected, how their previous gun control votes were failures. Then watch them vote for it again minutes later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE-jrJ-7Sek

It's important to understand the enemy - our enemy is arrogance personified and they don't give a FLYING FIG about freedom or representing their constituents responsibly.

bodger
10-15-2009, 1:22 PM

"It's not a Rooomah!!!!"

No...it's a TOOMAH!! :D

This (and the sight of Ahnold and Little Kevin) made me puke:

AB 962 will take these local efforts statewide starting February 1, 2011 by enacting a uniform law that will not allow dangerous criminals to skirt around the system by simply going to the next city to buy ammunition. The new law will make it unlawful for a vendor to knowingly sell handgun ammunition to anyone prohibited from possessing a firearm and prohibit any person subject to a gang injunction from owning or possessing handgun ammunition.

No, they'll skirt it by going to the next STATE to buy ammo. And when we do it too, we'll be branded as criminals. Especially after the "Ammo Loophole" gets addressed.

How is a vendor going to know if he's selling to a prohibited person?

How is this new law going to prohibit a person under injunction from owning handgun ammo?

My GOD! No wonder free state gunnies laugh at us! They just can't believe how we can live under this kind of crap for even a minute.

And this idiot comes to LA to make a big show of the signing. Well, at least we got Harvey Milk Day, right? He didn't veto that did he? Right?

EFF me.

locosway
10-15-2009, 1:42 PM
Talking with my FFL today all he had to say was he needs more room to store all the paperwork this will generate that the DOJ, LEO's, ATF, will never come by and look at.
Unless there is something on a persons license when they show it to the cashier at time of check out anyone can still by ammo, yet if you wear glasses it is on your license, how about they put "convicted person on parole" or something like that on their drivers license or ID card?

Never thought about it like that. For some reason I thought there was going to be an active check.

As soon as this law goes into effect I'll make a video of a felon walking in, giving a print, showing an ID, and walking out with ammo.

CalNRA
10-15-2009, 1:49 PM
how about they put "convicted person on parole" or something like that on their drivers license or ID card?

do you think the hard working men and women and the Department of Motor Vehicles can handle that much work on top of their rigorous work load?

(of course assuming we all know how hard and efficiently they work)

locosway
10-15-2009, 1:53 PM
do you think the hard working men and women and the Department of Motor Vehicles can handle that much work on top of their rigorous work load?

(of course assuming we all know how hard and efficiently they work)

That's not why, it's about the rights of a felon. To me, if there's restrictions because of something they did, they should be clearly marked on any identification that is required to do said restricted activities.

Such as driving at night, only driving to work and back, under 21 no alcohol, under 18 provisional, and so on. Being a felon should be the same. There should be a red bar on the bottom that states "Felony Restrictions". It's no different than anything else.

I'm also for putting those red license plates on the cars of convicted DUI drivers.

Synergy
10-15-2009, 1:56 PM
Bingo. It's on right now! http://gov.ca.gov/Funny that Carmen Trutanich was by his side. :cool::cool::cool:

gotgunz
10-15-2009, 1:57 PM
I see that Tutranich (sp) was there smiling with the Governator. Turncoat?

The Director
10-15-2009, 1:58 PM
“My number one priority has always been public safety and protecting the people,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “I’ve signed laws that crack down on sex offenders, drunk drivers, gangs and drugs. And today, we are highlighting another very important bill I signed to help make our communities safer by keeping deadly ammunition out of the hands of criminals, gang members and violent felons.”

Yeah! I feel so honored to belong to yet another group he has "cracked down on" - law abiding citizens!

Arnold, you're a loser and I don't care who knows it.

CalNRA
10-15-2009, 2:19 PM

what could he have done as the LA Cit Attorney?

bartt
10-15-2009, 2:27 PM
Politicians don't see the light until they feel the heat.

Shotgun Man
10-15-2009, 2:29 PM
what could he have done as the LA Cit Attorney?

Go on record as opposing it.

mtptwo
10-15-2009, 2:30 PM
"Dangerous ammunition"?!?!?

I'm heading home to flush all of the ammunition in the house down the toilet. No need to take chances.

gbp
10-15-2009, 2:35 PM
i think every ffl that sells ammunition file a claim for monitary relief due to the expansion of the building they will need to store the paperwork, additional workers they will need to file sort, evaluate etc. and make the already bankrupt state pay for it

gucci pilot
10-15-2009, 2:54 PM
We are hearing that Governor Schwarzenegger will have a press conference today with the LAPD and will explain why he signed AB 962.

Paul

Paul, this may be too soon for you to answer, but have you noticed if any of our CG grass roots efforts (handing out flyers and phone calls, etc) had any effect in Sacramento? Is the Assembly fence-sitters anymore responsive to you as the NRA? Just curious. If this was a worthwhile effort then we might want to organize the troops for the next mobilization.

BamBam-31
10-15-2009, 3:25 PM
Never thought about it like that. For some reason I thought there was going to be an active check.

As soon as this law goes into effect I'll make a video of a felon walking in, giving a print, showing an ID, and walking out with ammo.

Great idea! A la the ACORN vids! :thumbsup:

Casey
10-15-2009, 3:46 PM
Deleon is getting some serious mileage and major press from this issue. Every one of our legislators is looking for a "hook" that will get them this kind of media play. I would bet that he horse traded with the Gov not only for a signature on his bill but a full dog and pony show to go with it. He gets major visibility and is seen as the savior of all people in the state that would have been killed by all that dangerous ammunition being sold to convicted felons.

The biggest bummer about this whole deal is that he has been validated very publicly in his bull**** cause. His anti-gun agenda will not only give him a hook to perpetually hang his hat on, it will only wet his appetite for more of this kind of publicity success.

This press conference is payback for favors and this is not the last we will be seeing of Mr. DeLeon defender of all who would be accosted by GUNS and AMMO.

BTW
..."
Under Governor Schwarzenegger’s leadership, California became the first state to ban .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program and began the use of microstamping technology in handguns to provide law enforcement with an additional tool for solving crimes committed with semi-automatic handguns in California."

They are bragging about how a technology that does not exist and is not being used by any firearms manufacture as providing an "additional tool for solving crimes committed with semi-automatic handguns in California."

This is what it's all about gents. Being able to "say" that you are doing something is just as good and will get just as much traction as taking real action.

curtisfong
10-15-2009, 3:48 PM
Deleon is getting some serious mileage and majopr press from this issue.

I agree. I find it outrageous that this crap is going on completely unopposed.

Sig357
10-15-2009, 3:51 PM
This crap is tough to watch. I'd rather be at the dentist. Their celebration will be short lived.

Arnold totally avoided the question about buying online.

fresnohunter
10-15-2009, 4:18 PM

Paul

Alot of big talk. A day late and a dollar short.

slowjonn
10-15-2009, 4:25 PM
As soon as I read that LAPD would be there in support of what Arnold had to say, I knew it was going to be a sham. No offense to the good men and women of LAPD. Its just that anytime their Brass stands beside Arnold on anything, its usually not good for us peons.

HondaMasterTech
10-15-2009, 5:21 PM
AB962 will not stop a felon from buying ammunition.

Purple K
10-15-2009, 5:32 PM
"Last year in Sacramento alone, almost 200 dangerous criminals who were not legally entitled to own firearms or ammunition walked into a store and bought ammunition. Because Sacramento had this program in place, the criminals were arrested for purchasing ammunition."

By the Guvenators own admission it didn't stop the sale of ammo to a prohibited person. They were arrested at a later date, who knows what gun crimes were committed in the interum. AB962 will be useless in fighting crime!

mofugly13
10-15-2009, 5:50 PM

He sure talked about how great his bill is, WTF, I thought he was on our side???

"Job well done California. We are a lot safer today than we were yesterday"

RRangel
10-15-2009, 6:03 PM
"Last year in Sacramento alone, almost 200 dangerous criminals who were not legally entitled to own firearms or ammunition walked into a store and bought ammunition. Because Sacramento had this program in place, the criminals were arrested for purchasing ammunition."

By the Guvenators own admission it didn't stop the sale of ammo to a prohibited person. They were arrested at a later date, who knows what gun crimes were committed in the interum. AB962 will be useless in fighting crime!

Exactly, that and the fact that they fail to mention the cost and effort in manpower versus traditional police work. Another big issue is the citizens that were harassed in the attempt at enforcing police state tactics.

FreshTapCoke
10-15-2009, 6:25 PM
He sure talked about how great his bill is, WTF, I thought he was on our side???

The bill has already passed and it's a media circus. Not much for him to gain by opposing it at this point.

mofugly13
10-15-2009, 6:31 PM
The bill has already passed and it's a media circus. Not much for him to gain by opposing it at this point.

But how the F**K are we supposed to win when our allies are cheerleading this bill in public?? He really talked it up as if it were a gift from Jeebus himself.

KylaGWolf
10-15-2009, 6:39 PM

Oh wait that number has inflated. When the bill was being voted on it was only something like 180. I guess they can't count either.

badhabit90
10-15-2009, 7:19 PM
"bullets are the lifeblood of guns. guns dont kill people, bullets do...." -de Leon 8:15 of video...http://gov.ca.gov/

it takes a person to kill. people kill people....

wintermute
10-15-2009, 7:21 PM

It's not a toomah. :rofl2:

bodger
10-15-2009, 7:27 PM
Great idea! A la the ACORN vids! :thumbsup:

Definitely a good idea. Be hard to do though, no? How would you know the person was a felon?

locosway
10-15-2009, 7:31 PM
Definitely a good idea. Be hard to do though, no? How would you know the person was a felon?

They wouldn't need to be a felon. There's no active checking at time of purchase. All one would need to do is make the audience believe they are indeed a felon.

However, with the support of a local LEA you could find a felon to "test" the system. Perhaps you would need to show proof that you took control of the ammo after the purchase.

ZRX61
10-15-2009, 7:41 PM
They wouldn't need to be a felon. There's no active checking at time of purchase. All one would need to do is make the audience believe they are indeed a felon.

However, with the support of a local LEA you could find a felon to "test" the system. Perhaps you would need to show proof that you took control of the ammo after the purchase.

All it would take to fall into chaos is for a large number of people legally allowed to buy ammo telling the salesmen in the gun stores they just sold ammo to a felon as they walk out the door.. ;)

whatmeworry
10-15-2009, 11:29 PM
So...a gangbanger buys ammo in San Francisco and uses it in LA. The LA cops then go to all the ammo selling establishments in California looking for a fingerprint???

RIGHT !!!!!!!!

tombinghamthegreat
10-16-2009, 8:32 AM
Nothing would please me more then to see AB962 become Arnies political grave.

If the 50 cal ban. and micro stamping was not i doubt this will be either. Kinda sick to see but i will want to see their faces if it gets overturned in the federal courts.

elenius
10-16-2009, 8:36 AM
So...a gangbanger buys ammo in San Francisco and uses it in LA. The LA cops then go to all the ammo selling establishments in California looking for a fingerprint???

RIGHT !!!!!!!!

Wait... is that how it's supposed to work? They're not even putting the fingerprints into a central database? Then it is even more laughable than I thought.

bodger
10-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Nothing would please me more then to see AB962 become Arnies political grave.

Well, it certainly has done so with us gunnies.

We've got the grave dug for him, now we just need to get a whole lot more people to get on our side and help us roll him into it.

Euphemistically speaking, of course. I don't want any black suburbans parked in front of my house.