PDA

View Full Version : 30" OAL requirement

MadRiverArms
10-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I have a Yugo AK under folder and wanted to ask about the 30" OAL requirement. As you know the muzzle device on the AK is designed to be removed so with this in mind will a longer muzzle device that is mounted the same way meet the law or will it need to be permanently attached via pinned or silver soldered?

-G

lorax3
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
There is no permanence required for the 30" requirement in PC 12276.1.

Permanence is however required for federal NFA rules.

So if your barrel is less then 16" the muzzle device must per permanently attached via one of the methods listed in the NFA handbook.

MadRiverArms
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
That's what i thought. The barrel is already the legal limit so it's just getting it over 30" that i was going for. Now keeping this in mind the stock would have to be fixed right? Either open or closed but it can't simply be over 30" with the folding stock folded right?

-G

Flopper
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
That's what i thought. The barrel is already the legal limit so it's just getting it over 30" that i was going for. Now keeping this in mind the stock would have to be fixed right? Either open or closed but it can't simply be over 30" with the folding stock folded right?

-G

Stock doesn't necessarily have to be fixed.

30" OAL is measured in its shortest configuration. In this example, that would be with the stock folded. If it doesn't meet the length requirement while folded, you would either have to pin or weld it open permanently, attach a longer barrel (or muzzle device), or attach a non-folding stock that brought it to 30".