View Full Version : Canciamilla to Oppose AB 352

06-03-2005, 8:19 AM
After writing, emailing, and calling my local Assemblyman Joeseph Canciamilla (D-11th District)I received the following reply:

"Thank you for your letter regarding the AB 352.

After much review and analysis, I will not be supporting this bill. There is no confirmation that the technology will be available or proven to support this requirement and further that it will improve overall consumer saftey."

See, those letters and phone calls can make a difference! I would encourage everyone to really blitz their local reps with letters opposing AB 352 and SB 357 as both are close to being considered by the full legislature.

06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Great work! So writing letters does work after all...

06-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I would never discount writing LOTS of letters, but you might be preaching to the (at least partially) converted here....

Canciamilla, from what I recall, has generally been regarded as progun.

Bill W
San Jose

06-03-2005, 2:18 PM
While exercising your rights to contact them is commendable, it appears this bill is on the way to the Senate.

06-03-2005, 3:19 PM
I've already contact my rep. Senator Liz Figueroa.

06-03-2005, 3:47 PM
Canciamilla, from what I recall, has generally been regarded as progun.
Maybe; he doesn't seem rabid, like Scott or Perata.

But he voted for AB50, the .50 cal bill, SB489, the loaded chamber bill, SB52, Scott's handgun safety certificate bill.

He voted against concurrence with Senate changes re: the repeal of the manufacturer protection provision (AB496), but he voted it out of the Assembly and into the Senate. He voted against SB682, the companion bill.

I don't see the vote on 352 yet on the web site, but if he voted against it, that's nice.

06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Nope, he voted Aye. And that 1 vote would have kept it out of the Senate, I believe. Assembly vote June 2 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_352_vote_20050602_0243PM_asm_floor.html) VOTES - ROLL CALL
AUTHOR: Koretz
TOPIC: Firearms: microstamping.
DATE: 06/02/2005
MOTION: AB 352 Koretz Assembly Third Reading
(AYES 41. NOES 38.) (PASS)

Bass Berg Bermudez Calderon
Canciamilla Chan Chavez Chu
Cohn Coto De La Torre Dymally
Evans Frommer Goldberg Hancock
Jerome Horton Jones Karnette Klehs
Koretz Laird Leno Levine
Lieber Liu Montanez Mullin
Nation Nava Oropeza Pavley
Ridley-Thomas Ruskin Saldana Salinas
Torrico Vargas Wolk Yee

I think he may have been Leaned On by the party 'leadership'; he's had some non-standard views on the budgeting process that seems to have put him in a bad position for getting any of his bills enacted.

06-06-2005, 1:05 AM
Originally posted by Librarian:
But he voted for AB50, the .50 cal bill,

As did plenty of {R} candidates too.
...despite a barrage of letters and phone calls too.

06-06-2005, 8:54 AM
I guess that's what I get for trusting the word of a politician. Sigh.

06-06-2005, 9:01 AM
So, are you going to call him up and ask him why he LIED to you?

06-06-2005, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by Sawdust:
So, are you going to call him up and ask him why he LIED to you?

Absolutely. Letters are already in the mail and phone calls forthcoming.

06-07-2005, 8:45 AM
I'm waiting for a call back from Terry Reardon, Canciamilla's chief of staff. This should be interesting. I wonder if he'll admit the Assemblyman caved under pressure from the gun-grabbing Dem leadership? My guess is no, but at least I may have a little fun making him squirm trying to explain the vote.

06-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I had a long talk with Terry Reardon last Friday. I must admit, I was actually suprised that he took my call and with the amount of time he gave me. Mr. Reardon did not admit that Canciamilla was pressured by the anti-gun Dem machine, but I still believe that to be the case. The official "reason" Canciamilla changed his position is that the technology was demonstrated to exist and to work (you actually can imprint a bullet casing with a number upon firing) and that a number of law enforcement agencies and top law enforcement officers supported the measure.

When I really got down to brass tacks all Mr. Reardon could do is acknowledge that I have a point. I argued that even if the technology exists, it has never to my knowledge been implemented in full scale production so we really are dealing with unproven technology, however that's not even the most salient issue.

The point I drove home is that even given that the technology works and we could snap our fingers and it would instantly be implemented, it would do nothing to help law enforcement solve gun crimes. All the legislation would do is allow the gun to be traced to the original owner in California. Now it is common knowledge that the vast majority of guns used in crimes are either stolen or purchased illegally. This measure (thankfully if it passes - God forbid) would do nothing about handguns in circulation prior to 2007. This renders it useless as a LEO tool. All some punk gangbanger would have to do is get a gun made before 2007. How hard do you think that would be?

Furthermore, it would not stop illegal arms dealers from smuggling in handguns from out of state without the "micro-array". Lastly, I doubt it would take long for the aforementioned black market dealers to figure out how to "erase" the stamp. So, all in all, AB 352 is worthless as a law enforcement measure.

What it might do is cause some manufacturers to abandon the California market, particularly the smaller companies. When I confronted Mr. Reardon with this, he simply admitted I had a point. So, bottom line, when the party machine put the screws on Canciamilla reversed his position.

My personal take is that he is not unfriendly to guns and is not in the gun grabber camp, but his is a politician and thereby susceptable to party pressure. IMHO this means that those of us in his district really need to put the pressure on him regarding gun issues in the future and not get pissed off, write nasty letters, and write him off. We can certainly voice our sincere disappointment, as I did. In fact, I would ask all of us on the forum who live in Canciamilla's district to do just that, but we may need him on a future issue. It sucks, but that's politics.