PDA

View Full Version : AB962 - time to stock up?

chsk9
10-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Thinking about stocking up on .223/.308.
Does AB962 include mail order reloading components?

As gun owners we should be mad as hell about this- the bill's author should be ousted the next election (remember roos-roberti?). Politicians (De Leon and Lowenthal) need to know that they will loose the next election for promoting this type of legislation. The GOP leaders should be aware that this kind of BS will not be tolerated!

Let's go back to 1994:

================================================== ======================
Roberti Faces Recall
By NEAL KNOX
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Feb. 10) -- California Senate President
Pro Tem David Roberti -- infamous for the Roos-Roberti semi-auto
ban -- faces a recall election April 12 that he won't win.

At least that's the plan of the gun groups which forced the
resignation of his accomplice Mike Roos by stirring unresolved
questions about political corruption.

This time a coalition of anti-tax and pro-gun groups -- led
by the same Californians Against Corruption which pioneered the
"chain letter" campaign against Roos -- used a Constitutional
recall provision which hadn't been successfully used in 80 years.

The groups gathered some 45,000 signatures -- twice as many
as required to be valid.

The anti-gun press went bananas.

So did the political establishments of both parties.

So did Handgun Control Inc. Sarah Brady promised "all-out
support for Dave."

They are trying to make the election a referendum on "gun
control." And they're accusing Roberti's opponents of costing the
state money for an unnecessary election -- an allegation blown
down by Gov. Pete Wilson who set it to coincide with a previously
scheduled election.

Russ Howard, who researched the effort for CAC, figures
that, for once, the playing field may be tilted our way.

Under the state's recall rules (Sorry, there's no Federal
recall provision.), Roberti must get over 50 percent of the vote
against almost a dozen opponents -- at least three of them
strongly pro-gun.

Last year he couldn't get 50 percent despite spending $2
million in the most expensive California State Senate race in
history.

Roberti will be out of the Senate at the end of the year
because of term limits, but he had already announced for State
Treasurer. If he wins the recall, he'll be a shoo-in; if he
loses, he may as well forget that race -- and we'll be rid of
him.

If you live in or near that L.A. area district, please
volunteer to help in the campaign of any of the pro-gun
candidates. Otherwise, you can help fund the conclusion of the
Dump Roberti effort by contributing to CAC, 2201 E. Willow St.,
D-333, Signal Hill, CA 90806.

The recall election sent shock waves through the State
Capitol; a wire service alert said this guerilla warfare tactic
"could change the political landscape in California."

It may have already had one important effect, for the
legislature shot down an effort to increase unlawful carrying of
a firearm from a misdemeanor to a felony.

The greatest impact will be if David Roberti goes down in
flames -- and politicians get the message: "The Gunnies Will
Getcha For That."
http://rkba.org/knox/94/19feb94

technique
10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
You can find answers in the 2ndA area, Its been covered there, well all over the board actually..

Not trying to be a dick..just helpin ya get yer answers.

Josh3239
10-15-2009, 12:33 AM
You got over a year until it goes into effect :rolleyes:

XS40
10-15-2009, 1:07 AM
I would recommend reading the final revision of the bill to know what's happening. Reloading components are okay. Rifle ammo is okay.

I am not stocking up on .223. However, I am going to stock up on .45acp. The situation of sellers from out of state is already developing though. One seller already thought he shouldn't ship to CA until I told him about the Feb 2011 effective date.

Really though, 1000 rounds of 45 is maybe 20 trips to the range. That's less than half the weeks of a year... Prepping for the long haul in case prices rise and availability drops next year... Just in case; call it a hedge.

DCF
10-15-2009, 1:26 AM
So start to learn reloading and getting a AR pistol is the way to go.

dchang0
10-15-2009, 1:26 AM
I dig the article--really helps crank up the morale and reminds us that we can take down anti-gun politicians in their own arena.

Gives "Si Se Puede" a whole new meaning, LOL.

X-NewYawker
10-15-2009, 5:49 AM
I would recommend reading the final revision of the bill to know what's happening. Reloading components are okay. Rifle ammo is okay.

I am not stocking up on .223. However, I am going to stock up on .45acp. The situation of sellers from out of state is already developing though. One seller already thought he shouldn't ship to CA until I told him about the Feb 2011 effective date.

Really though, 1000 rounds of 45 is maybe 20 trips to the range. That's less than half the weeks of a year... Prepping for the long haul in case prices rise and availability drops next year... Just in case; call it a hedge.

Yes -- of course with Post Obama shortages already prices are through the roof -- but securing a minimum of 10,000 rounds of each handgun caliber you own seems prudent at this time.

Then get used to firing one or two magazines on each range trip.

X-NewYawker
10-15-2009, 5:50 AM
Oh, and if we can't stop this before it goes into effect, how long before they start applying it to rifle rounds that can go into "assault handguns?" Ie., thoe short barreled AR pistols...

a1fabweld
10-15-2009, 6:12 AM
Mail order ammo vendors seems to be mysteriously sold out of handgun calibers at most places as of Monday. Go figure. I scanned the usual mail order ammo vendors I buy from & only one had anything left in .45. I ordered 1K & told some buddies to buy some before it dried up. The next morning, they were sold out as well. Here we go again.

SIGscout
10-15-2009, 6:27 AM
Mail order ammo vendors seems to be mysteriously sold out of handgun calibers at most places as of Monday. Go figure. I scanned the usual mail order ammo vendors I buy from & only one had anything left in .45. I ordered 1K & told some buddies to buy some before it dried up. The next morning, they were sold out as well. Here we go again.

yup, I have seen the same, was hard enough to find quality stuff that is 'over priced'. and now you can't even find the high priced stuff.

I've been stuck to getting any 30-06, 38 spec +p, .308, 5.56, .357 and ofcourse plenty of 12 ga.

As mentioned, I have sped up my learning of reloading and pre-emptivly purchasing equiptment and supplies. ... and for the first time ever I have a balance on my credit card...

spencerhut
10-15-2009, 6:53 AM
. . . and pre-emptivly purchasing equiptment and supplies. ... and for the first time ever I have a balance on my credit card...

Look at it this way, you are using a currency dramatically dropping in value to buy a commodity going up in value.

a1fabweld
10-15-2009, 6:56 AM
Look at it this way, you are using a currency dramatically dropping in value to buy a commodity going up in value.

That's right! Investing in lead, the new gold!:p

7.62x54R
10-15-2009, 6:58 AM
Oh, and if we can't stop this before it goes into effect, how long before they start applying it to rifle rounds that can go into "assault handguns?" Ie., thoe short barreled AR pistols...

correct its the slippery slope of gun control.

chsk9
10-15-2009, 8:56 AM
Thinking about stocking up on .223/.308.
Does AB962 include mail order reloading components?

As gun owners we should be mad as hell about this- the bill's author should be ousted the next election (remember roos-roberti?). Politicians (De Leon and Lowenthal) need to know that they will loose the next election for promoting this type of legislation. The GOP leaders should be aware that this kind of BS will not be tolerated!

Let's go back to 1994:

Roberti Faces Recall
By NEAL KNOX
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Feb. 10) -- California Senate President
Pro Tem David Roberti -- infamous for the Roos-Roberti semi-auto
ban -- faces a recall election April 12 that he won't win.

At least that's the plan of the gun groups which forced the
resignation of his accomplice Mike Roos by stirring unresolved
questions about political corruption.

This time a coalition of anti-tax and pro-gun groups -- led
by the same Californians Against Corruption which pioneered the
"chain letter" campaign against Roos -- used a Constitutional
recall provision which hadn't been successfully used in 80 years.

The groups gathered some 45,000 signatures -- twice as many
as required to be valid.

The anti-gun press went bananas.

So did the political establishments of both parties.

So did Handgun Control Inc. Sarah Brady promised "all-out
support for Dave."

They are trying to make the election a referendum on "gun
control." And they're accusing Roberti's opponents of costing the
state money for an unnecessary election -- an allegation blown
down by Gov. Pete Wilson who set it to coincide with a previously
scheduled election.

Russ Howard, who researched the effort for CAC, figures
that, for once, the playing field may be tilted our way.

Under the state's recall rules (Sorry, there's no Federal
recall provision.), Roberti must get over 50 percent of the vote
against almost a dozen opponents -- at least three of them
strongly pro-gun.

Last year he couldn't get 50 percent despite spending $2
million in the most expensive California State Senate race in
history.

Roberti will be out of the Senate at the end of the year
because of term limits, but he had already announced for State
Treasurer. If he wins the recall, he'll be a shoo-in; if he
loses, he may as well forget that race -- and we'll be rid of
him.

If you live in or near that L.A. area district, please
volunteer to help in the campaign of any of the pro-gun
candidates. Otherwise, you can help fund the conclusion of the
Dump Roberti effort by contributing to CAC, 2201 E. Willow St.,
D-333, Signal Hill, CA 90806.

The recall election sent shock waves through the State
Capitol; a wire service alert said this guerilla warfare tactic
"could change the political landscape in California."

It may have already had one important effect, for the
legislature shot down an effort to increase unlawful carrying of
a firearm from a misdemeanor to a felony.

The greatest impact will be if David Roberti goes down in
flames -- and politicians get the message: "The Gunnies Will
Getcha For That."
http://rkba.org/knox/94/19feb94

Thanks for the info on the final version- I will check that out. As a youngster I did my part with the Roos-Roberti grass roots recall. Nothing like a bit of election payback for the area tyrant!

dot429
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM

This is true. I recently offered to buy a gun from a friend of mine who's a savvy investor. He told me that the he didn't want "dollars" for the gun.

I said, "uh,.. you're kidding, right?" Nope. He wasn't he told me he would take some gold coins.

Wow!

Better stock up on rice, beans, ammo, guns, and gold. I never thought I'd believe it, but we, as a Country, may really be headed for a repeat of the 1920s, hopefully not worse.

My wife's gonna kill me when she finds out how much ammo I've been buying.

:eek:

Sparkplug553
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
one issue tho....has anyone been real successful in getting primers and powder latley? Primers are constantly out of stock and seem to be harder and harder to get these days...hell...go try and get a brick of .22lr no one has them. It is rediculous that we cant even seem to go plinking these days..where does the madness end?

johnrunner89
10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Big 5's have been great places for me to find Bricks of .22 and Kmart had them too last I went. I have more trouble finding powders than primers. Than again I dont really look for primers since I have what I need.

KevinXT
10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
threads like these fuel the whole ammo shortage... just calm down and buy what you need and stop being selfish people!! start reloading handgun ammo when the bill DOES go into effect if you must have 2500 rounds on you at all times... or take a mini vication drive to nevada and buy a case. But stop freaking out and buying more ammo than you need!

zeekster
10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
threads like these fuel the whole ammo shortage... just calm down and buy what you need and stop being selfish people!! start reloading handgun ammo when the bill DOES go into effect if you must have 2500 rounds on you at all times... or take a mini vication drive to nevada and buy a case. But stop freaking out and buying more ammo than you need!

haha...I agree. if you're that die hard about having a gazillion rounds of ammo, a short trip to the next state over isn't out of the question.....that's what I'm gonna do.

dot429
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Selfish??

I don't see anyone on this thread "freaking out." I'm perfectly calm, however, I am concerned, and rightfully so.

What good is a gun without ammunition? If one has the resources and the space buy and to store a lot of ammo, that's there business. Pretty much all of the gun stores in SoCal that I know of are limiting between 1 and 10 boxes per person per day anyway... oh that reminds me, I gotta run back to the XYZ store and get my daily allotment of 9mm and .45ACP. Another twenty boxes of ammo will make me feel good.

:D

stix213
10-15-2009, 12:17 PM
This is true. I recently offered to buy a gun from a friend of mine who's a savvy investor. He told me that the he didn't want "dollars" for the gun.

I said, "uh,.. you're kidding, right?" Nope. He wasn't he told me he would take some gold coins.

Wow!

Better stock up on rice, beans, ammo, guns, and gold. I never thought I'd believe it, but we, as a Country, may really be headed for a repeat of the 1920s, hopefully not worse.

My wife's gonna kill me when she finds out how much ammo I've been buying.

:eek:

Savvy Investor? Right...

The S&P 500 has been smoking gold as an investment ever since the market bottomed. Buying gold is for fools who get their financial advice from infomercials instead of actually figuring out what being a "savvy investor" is.

Last six months of Gold vs S&P 500
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=6m&s=GLD&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=&c=^GSPC

MasterYong
10-15-2009, 1:11 PM
This law passed the veto stage?????????

I've been in AZ for the last week and just now got on CG. Didn't realize this happened. I couldn't fathom 2 weeks ago that this wouldn't have been vetoed. Talk about a waste of money.

I have to decide in the next few months if I'm moving here permanently. This may have just made up my mind.

I'm just amazed at how much glue our elected official sniff in CA. Jeebus Christo.

At least I've never ordered handgun ammo online, just rifle ammo since I shoot that more than handgun. Except for 5.7x28 that I order for my AR57 which I'm sure counts as handgun ammo now... and .223 is surely handgun ammo now... in fact there aren't a lot of common battle calibers that I can think of that aren't used in a handgun somewhere.

Yep. Might just stay in AZ. Sorry fellas. When they've decided that you have to pay taxes on fresh air to breath and that you need a background check to get drinking water you're all welcome to come out here and join me.

unclejesse
10-15-2009, 1:38 PM
its better than never!

stix213
10-15-2009, 1:45 PM
This law passed the veto stage?????????

I've been in AZ for the last week and just now got on CG. Didn't realize this happened. I couldn't fathom 2 weeks ago that this wouldn't have been vetoed. Talk about a waste of money.

I have to decide in the next few months if I'm moving here permanently. This may have just made up my mind.

I'm just amazed at how much glue our elected official sniff in CA. Jeebus Christo.

At least I've never ordered handgun ammo online, just rifle ammo since I shoot that more than handgun. Except for 5.7x28 that I order for my AR57 which I'm sure counts as handgun ammo now... and .223 is surely handgun ammo now... in fact there aren't a lot of common battle calibers that I can think of that aren't used in a handgun somewhere.

Yep. Might just stay in AZ. Sorry fellas. When they've decided that you have to pay taxes on fresh air to breath and that you need a background check to get drinking water you're all welcome to come out here and join me.

Just because it is possible to find a handgun chambered for a rifle cartridge, that doesn't mean that rifle cartridge will be classified as handgun ammo.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12316.php

(a) "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

.223 even though it can be shot from AR pistols, is still not "ammunition principally for use in pistols..."

MasterYong
10-15-2009, 1:52 PM
Just because it is possible to find a handgun chambered for a rifle cartridge, that doesn't mean that rifle cartridge will be classified as handgun ammo.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12316.php

(a) "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

.223 even though it can be shot from AR pistols, is still not "ammunition principally for use in pistols..."

I disagree.

You're assuming that the state's interpretation of "principally for use in pistols..." is the same as yours. These are the same people that think this law makes any sense to begin with. The way "principally for use in pistols..."is worded is WAY open to interpretation. They have provided no concrete facts that this bill will have a positive effect on crime levels. They typically provide no evidence that ANY gun control legislation is actually based on fact. On that note it's not insane to believe that the state may decide that "principally" simply means that it is used in firearms that are manufactured to be handguns.

I have no faith whatsoever that the state legislators understand the english language or subtle nuances of basic logic.

jchen76@gmail.com
10-15-2009, 2:01 PM
CA legislatures have started listening to Chris Rock for ideas. From his stand-up routine -

"No, I think we need some bullet control. I think every bullet should cost five thousand dollars. Five thousand dollars for a bullet. Know why? Cos if a bullet cost five thousand dollars, there'd be no more innocent by-standers. That'd be it. Some guy'd be shot you'd be all 'Damn, he must've done something, he's got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ***!' And people'd think before they shot someone 'Man I will blow your ****ing head off, if I could afford it. I'm gonna get me a second job, start saving up, and you a dead man. You'd better hope I don't get no bullets on lay-away!'"

swerv512
10-15-2009, 3:23 PM
2 WEEKS!
:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

God Bless The Mauser
10-15-2009, 6:01 PM
2 WEEKS!
:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

I was waitin' for one of us to say that.:)