PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD reader for netbook?

smokingloon
10-15-2009, 12:03 AM
I got a samsung netbook a couple of months ago and overall I am very pleased with it. It is small, light, and much faster than my old desktop. I don't play games or use photoshop so it mostly is used for the internet and schoolwork. The only real gripe I have with it, is that it doesn't have a cd/dvd reader/writer. I don't need it that often, but there are those few occasions where it would come in hand. Does anyone have any sort of recommendations as to who makes a good, easily portable, no need for additional power source cd/dvd reader? I might even consider a writer as that would give me the option to burn dvds.

armygunsmith
10-15-2009, 12:08 AM
I don't have any specific suggestions, but many external portable burners will use up two USB ports for power. Hopefully your netbook hat two ports in close proximity to each other or you'll have to use a powered USB hub.

JDay
10-15-2009, 2:36 AM
Cant you just use a thumb drive?

lazyworm
10-15-2009, 3:06 PM
I'm cheap, so I used an old dvd bruner from a desktop, hooked up to an
IDE-USB adapter from an old external hard drive chassis.

It's ugly and not really portable, but it's free.

If you want a nice and elegant solution, usb dvd burners go for about $99
new, probably around $70 when on sale. Most brands I came across work
and behave pretty much the same, so it's more or less personal preference.

CWatson
10-17-2009, 6:52 AM
My daughter has this one for her netbook :
[http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9406403&type=product&id=1218100315257]
It uses only one port and no AC adaptor, I was surprised to find that many of the external slim drives needed one.

CW

chiefcrash
10-17-2009, 8:25 AM
I don't have any specific suggestions, but many external portable burners will use up two USB ports for power. Hopefully your netbook hat two ports in close proximity to each other or you'll have to use a powered USB hub.

most of them don't need that 2nd plug though. The 2 that I have (both of them are made by Teac, one rebranded as a Targus) only need the one plug to work. And usually the cable is split in such a way that the cable will reach a port on the other side if needed...