PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain something.

Ryan in SD
10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
How can people that know little to nothing about guns make the laws about them?

Its pretty clear ignorant fools are making our laws, if its gotten this far it will probably get worse right?

Who here can think of a way that can revert these idiotic laws and turn this state into a free state like AZ or TX?

It all comes down to politicians and votes, unfortunately I know little about politics so bear with me. What would it take to make our state free?

:TFH: :TFH: ;)

bwiese
10-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Guns are no different than other areas of the law.

Legislators throw up stuff to show they're doing work, and hope the sheeple appreciate it.

With term limits now, they have to throw up more, faster, to advance to the next office. Before term limits, they could stick around in place, and we (NRA) could "train" them.

HondaMasterTech
10-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Too many people have an unfirm grasp on reality. Plain and simple.

wash
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Because it has a shoulder thing that goes up.

CnCFunFactory
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
I see that they will be voting on what size and type of flat panel TV's we are allowed to own next. I am pretty sure none of the legislature are electrical engineers either...

wash
10-14-2009, 11:37 PM
That's a joke.

Plasma TV's use a lot of power but they are dying a slow death as LCD's take over.

It's a non-problem that ~solves itself but the politicians want to look like they are doing something yet again.

five.five-six
10-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Legislators throw up stuff to show they're doing work, and hope the sheeple appreciate it.

With term limits now, they have to throw up more, faster, to advance to the next office. Before term limits, they could stick around in place, and we (NRA) could "train" them.

nuff' said

mmartin
10-14-2009, 11:47 PM
How can people that know little to nothing about guns make the laws about them?
there are people who DO things and people who like to make others STOP doing things.

we like to shoot.
the people who make these laws want to make us stop shooting.

if they were the sort of people who DID things, like shooting, they'd know much more about it. and they would understand enough to know they don't need to make us stop.

but they aren't that sort of people, so they know nothing about it and write stupid laws that make it clear they know nothing about it, but are nonetheless intended to make us stop.

megan

Ryan in SD
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
One thing I thought about the other day was that back in the 1900s there were guns in every house hold. It was a necesity on the frontiers and everyone was acoustom to having them around and knowing how they work etc. Even the women and children were ok with guns around. I doubt there were any beta males that apposed guns back in the day.

Centuries later there are millions of people that dont even have a clue to how they work or why they are necessary...these people are now making OUR laws.

Its the damn shoulder things, you're right.

Theres two things I'm passionate about. 1 is women, the other is our rights!

Maybe if someone can make a viral video for youtube to circulate this, maybe fighting fire with fire isnt going to work (ie. NRA going to court...and losing). "Marketing" the reality of the situation might have better effects. Just an idea.

edit-

Well if this is true then its going to take millions of years for logic to win. Our species is pathetic to let this happen. Our frontal lobe is the culprit! Thats going to take a while to evolve :-\

But seriously...F politicians. Do you think having more elected republicans will help? I mean, look at Arnie.

kf6tac
10-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe if someone can make a viral video for youtube to circulate this, maybe fighting fire with fire isnt going to work (ie. NRA going to court...and losing). "Marketing" the reality of the situation might have better effects. Just an idea.

Nah, marketing -- at least to the general public -- will fail even faster, especially in California. Voters in the major population centers (SF, LA, etc.) see guns and immediately are stricken with terror and hide behind their nearest anti-gun politician.

Ryan in SD
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Nah, marketing -- at least to the general public -- will fail even faster, especially in California. Voters in the major population centers (SF, LA, etc.) see guns and immediately are stricken with terror and hide behind their nearest anti-gun politician.

Right, but if we show them how stupid they are using facts then we might have a better chance.

Really, their stupidity is the core of our problem, the politicians use their stupidity to advance their careers.

Its like the anti smoking campaigns, no offense but smoking is really stupid HOWEVER it is chemically addicting and people dont care. Use "smoking" as a metaphor for gun ignorance and we might be on to something.

Once people proved smoking was dumb a friend of a smoker gives less respect to them, and in time might make the smoker uncomfortable enough to quit.

Also, the NRA is receiving a TON of money making people rich? I could be wrong on that. Point being, they might not be as driven to vanquish the stupid laws as much as we are therefore not changing tactics over the years.

kf6tac
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Right, but if we show them how stupid they are using facts then we might have a better chance.

Really, their stupidity is the core of our problem, the politicians use their stupidity to advance their careers.

In my experience, stupid people rarely acknowledge their stupidity when faced with overwhelming evidence of it. They just bury their heads in the sand and then seek retribution against those who made them feel stupid.

Ryan in SD
10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
In my experience, stupid people rarely acknowledge their stupidity when faced with overwhelming evidence of it. They just bury their heads in the sand and then seek retribution against those who made them feel stupid.

I updated my post. And to not try would help us get nowhere.

kf6tac
10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I updated my post. And to not try would help us get nowhere.

I'm not saying not to try at all. Just that some strategies will result in more backlash and harm than good.

dantodd
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Also, the NRA is receiving a TON of money making people rich? I could be wrong on that. Point being, they might not be as driven to vanquish the stupid laws as much as we are therefore not changing tactics over the years.

I highly doubt that the NRA is making very many people rich, and even those who are well paid could probably make MORE money in the private sector rather than working for a non-profit like the NRA. People almost always choose to work for non-profits because they believe in the cause. Since they believe in the cause they will work for slightly less than just "working for the man." Because they are less monetarily driven the non-profits offer less money for those jobs and therefore those who are not motivated for the cause rarely apply. Working for a non-profit is rarely a particularly good way to go after "easy money."

We are also so very far away from having an uninfringed 2A in the way our forefathers envisioned it that we could win every lawsuit and most legislative battle for decades and still have work to do. It's sort of silly to say that the NRA has no motivation to beat back bad laws and win major victories.

Even if the NRA were to win every battle for the next number of decades and even rolled back the NFA and got the government to return to the practice of issuing Letters of Marque to well armed private naval vessels they'd still have work to do. We have a pretty strong first amendment in the US but there are still a number of groups acting as watchdogs on this front and surely the NRA would continue to do that.

The NRA was not founded to fight back against gun grabbers. It was founded to help grow the gun culture and foster interest in hunting and marksmanship among the population. There would still be plenty of work to be done in that arena were we to completely win back an unencumbered 2A.

You may have a point that the NRA is so used to fighting from a relatively defensive position trying to beat back the gun grabbers and mainstream media that they may be ill equipped to fight a winning battle with the tide turning. This is an accusation often leveled at the Rebpublican party who it was said ruled the senate and house like a minority party. I don't know enough about all the issues on the NRAs table and frankly we don't quite have the opposition on the ropes enough to justify a 180 turn around in tactics anyway. It is something that I think we as members need to be wary of but for now it is most excellent to simply know that what we are doing is starting to have an effect and is turning the tide.