View Full Version : Buy off the shelf or build?

10-14-2009, 8:30 PM

My mind's made up to get an AR-15. What for? Target shooting mainly, political activism (peaceful owning!), and possibly as a TSHF and HD option.

My target interests steer me toward a high quality upper such as LaRue with 20" barrel and Wylde chamber. However, I'm short on time, and it might be best to familiarize myself with ARs by getting one off the shelf like DDXV first, rather than attempting to start out by building one. Then I might actually get to the range relatively soon, as opposed to who knows when.

Off the shelf would also have the benefit of being an entry level expenditure. So if it turns out that I don't like ARs, I will not have spent as much as a custom.

Thanks for thoughts.

10-14-2009, 8:33 PM
There are tons of high-quality rifles available right now. The benefit of building your own is primarily getting to choose all of your components. Having said that, I'd say buy your first one and at some point, build one.

10-14-2009, 8:35 PM
Get an off the shelf DDXV. That is quality.

Target shooting, and HD/SHTF are two different rifles really if you get down to the nitty-gritty. The DD will be an excellent HD/SHTF, and it will be accurate.

It will not be as accurate if you were to go with that 20in/Wylde.

Go with the DD and familiarize your self...great choice.

10-14-2009, 8:36 PM
Whether you do it first or later on, I would recommend building one. The reason I say this is because you get to know every little detail about the rifle when you build it yourself and you'll have a much better understanding about how to tear it down, repair it, replace parts, etc. when you need to. Plus all of your friends and family are impressed as hell when you tell them you built your AR-type rifle. :)

10-14-2009, 8:38 PM
I'm glad I built my first rifle since I got to familiarize myself with the components. Now that I've built one, I think I'll buy my next one off the shelf.

10-14-2009, 8:42 PM
I'm thinking of buying one of the smokin AR's in the classifieds here
some deals keep popping up

10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
What is a DDVX?

10-15-2009, 9:47 AM
build, save your dough for ammo, you are gonna need it in these times.

10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
What is a DDVX?

Daniel Defense DD-XV like this (http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=652&categoryId=133).

10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
What is a DDVX?

Best deal out there right now, imo.

10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
it depends on your $$ situation. If you dont have $1,000 (or more) to throw down in a single sitting, piece it together. Then you buy exactly the parts you want.

Even if the money is there, there are plenty of parts in-stock at many online retailers.

I say piece it together!