PDA

View Full Version : The official "single-shot" howto thread.

CHS
10-14-2009, 8:13 PM
Everyone, please head over to here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231548

I am collecting and gathering the "howto's" for converting guns to single-shot status for roster-exemption importation.

I really need a lot more meaty contributions.

I'm cross-posting here because not everyone checks out the handgun sub-forum.

What I'm looking for is fairly specific howto information so that the thread may be used as a guide for someone looking to import an off-roster pistol into CA.

GO HERE:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231548

NOW! CONTRIBUTE! NOW! :)

Letitrip
10-14-2009, 9:32 PM
Not of much help with your requested information. But maybe you can help clarify something.

Today I went to a decent gun store in the Los Angeles area that actually sells OLLs and Uppers, AKs, etc. I asked if he had AK pistols, and the answer was no. Then I asked if I could order an AK Pistol out of state and have it shipped to him so that it can get DROSed. He told me this:

"It depends. The gun needs to have a bullet button, and a magazine that can only hold one round. Plus the gas system has to be disabled. I will actually test the gun, and if it blows the shell out after it shoots it, I will reject it and send it back. If the shell stays seated, I will DROS it for $75."

Was this dude spreading FUD and going beyond the requirements for AK pistols? I did not think that the gas system had to be disabled. Can you please clarify this for me?

CHS
10-14-2009, 9:38 PM
This really isn't the appropriate place for this question, but I'll answer anyways:

It needs to have a bullet button installed. It also needs to have a magazine that holds ZERO rounds. Not one round. Zero. You can permanently pin the follower up so that the magazine acts as a sled.

The gas system doesn't have to be disabled.

With all that said, everything always comes down to FFL discretion. ASK FIRST, so that you know what they are comfortable with. Some FFL's are comfortable with everything, some aren't.

JeffM
10-14-2009, 9:43 PM
It needs to have a bullet button installed. It also needs to have a magazine that holds ZERO rounds. Not one round. Zero. You can permanently pin the follower up so that the magazine acts as a sled.

^ I just think you answered your own question in the OP in it's entirety. Just add to that statement that the pistol in question needs to be dimensionally compliant and you're all set.

CHS
10-14-2009, 9:58 PM
Just add to that statement that the pistol in question needs to be dimensionally compliant and you're all set.

He said it was an AK pistol. I haven't seen an AK pistol with an OAL of less than 10.5" or a barrel less than 6" :)

It would be an impressive feat though!

bodger
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Not of much help with your requested information. But maybe you can help clarify something.

Today I went to a decent gun store in the Los Angeles area that actually sells OLLs and Uppers, AKs, etc. I asked if he had AK pistols, and the answer was no. Then I asked if I could order an AK Pistol out of state and have it shipped to him so that it can get DROSed. He told me this:

"It depends. The gun needs to have a bullet button, and a magazine that can only hold one round. Plus the gas system has to be disabled. I will actually test the gun, and if it blows the shell out after it shoots it, I will reject it and send it back. If the shell stays seated, I will DROS it for $75."

Was this dude spreading FUD and going beyond the requirements for AK pistols? I did not think that the gas system had to be disabled. Can you please clarify this for me?

OFF TOPIC apology in advance.

Can you PM me with the name of this store? I'm in LA and looking to buy an OLL pretty soon.

CHS
10-15-2009, 7:44 AM
BUMP!! :)

CHS
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Everyone, please hop on over to the thread (linked to in the top post) and contribute contribute contribute!!