PDA

View Full Version : Wolf .308 M1A/HK91

Afterburnt
10-14-2009, 9:12 PM
I never would have considered it until now but...

What say yooz, should I?

thefurball
10-14-2009, 9:23 PM
Use it. No problem.

5ohguy
10-14-2009, 9:40 PM
Shoot it. Wolf doesn't hurt anything other than your cleaning brush.

lomalinda
10-14-2009, 9:49 PM
I'd use it for both, especially the HK/PTR-91 type, where the case gets thrashed.

Requiem
10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Eh, maybe im too picky, but i dont use any silver/brown bear or wolf in my m1a *shrugs*

socomIInato
10-14-2009, 10:28 PM
use it in your 91 and report back with results:44:

Afterburnt
10-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I'd use it for both, especially the HK/PTR-91 type, where the case gets thrashed.

does that HK/PTR-91 type have a fluted chamber?

socomIInato
10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
my bet is the 91 won`t like steel case ammo!

a1fabweld
10-15-2009, 7:17 AM
I've run about 500 rounds of silver bear steel cased ammo through my PTR-91 with 100% success. That thing eats anything I feed it.

Hoop
10-15-2009, 9:04 AM
There were some warnings against Wolf awhile back, I believe they had serious QC issues. If you google for "WOLF KABOOM" you'll find some of the threads about wolf 308 gone wrong, which Wolf took care of.

I would buy a couple boxes of it + silver bear/brown bear etc just to try it.

NSR500
10-15-2009, 9:30 AM
Let me put it this way, if your HK Clone cannot shoot steel cased ammo something is wrong.

lomalinda
10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Let me rephrase: I have used Wolf in both my M1A and my PTR-91. Never had a problem with either of them.

I did have a terrible time with a few boxes of Barnaul's, though, that gave me lots of failures to fire.

SPUTTER
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I have read that using steel cased ammo in an M1A affects the head spacing. Is this true?

5ohguy
10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I have read that using steel cased ammo in an M1A affects the head spacing. Is this true?

No way. The steel used is so mild in comparison to the steel used in the chamber. Even then, there is little to no steel to steel contact because of the polymer coating.

The only issue with steel ammo is it doesn't expand under pressure as well as brass. This causes additional fouling of the chamber.

With my m1a, I have had a few rounds get stuck in the chamber when it was really fouled.

Also most ranges don't like wolf because it can cause sparks on impact because of the steel jacketed bullet. Shoot wolf at dusk and you can see why. A thin copper coating covers a steel jacket, so don't worry about the bore.

Other than that, my m1a eats wolf and on my last outing I was putting rounds through the same hole at 50 yards.

OG Z
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
works more than awesome in cetme. do it. an HK wont get hurt. the M1a though... awesome awesome shooters, but those break. they just do, its inevitable. i have a scar if you want proof.

if you are looking for cheap weekend thrills, wolf is the *****. however if you are floating them out to the boonies you might want something better. does the hk have polygonal rifling?

oh by the way NSR500, if you actually have an NSR500, you are my hero.

oh by the way by the way, wolf ammo smells like balls when you blast it, its an obscure funk that i cant quite put my finger on... like burning vinegar and brake fluid.

NSR500
10-15-2009, 12:34 PM
works more than awesome in cetme. do it. an HK wont get hurt. the M1a though... awesome awesome shooters, but those break. they just do, its inevitable. i have a scar if you want proof.

if you are looking for cheap weekend thrills, wolf is the *****. however if you are floating them out to the boonies you might want something better. does the hk have polygonal rifling?

oh by the way NSR500, if you actually have an NSR500, you are my hero.

HK Clones have regular rifling as well as the regular HK. The Special long guns from HK like the PSG1 have polygonal rifling, as well as the pistols.

As for the NSR500, I don't have one. I do want one, but that would not be possible with the V4 which were only leased with condition of return to Honda. The NSR500V however was available for ownership anda couple of privateers bought them. They do pop up for sale every once and a while, but the price is insane now.
BTW... I've met Freddie Spencer and Mick Doohan, now those guys are Heros! Valentino Rossi is the guy to beat right now, and I am a fan, but Mick, and Freddie had to tame the V4 Beast. By the time Rossi inherited the V4 it was very mature and not the crippler it used to be.

swerv512
10-15-2009, 3:34 PM
i shot over 2k+ rds of wolf thorugh my M1A (dam i miss my baby) and i dont remember a single hiccup.
now, if an M1A can cycle wolf- i'd imagine that an HK/PTR 91 should cycle it even better...

FeuerFrei
10-15-2009, 4:35 PM
I have run Wolf in my M1A without issue.
Yes, run it as the price is right.

Afterburnt
10-15-2009, 4:54 PM
HK Clones have regular rifling as well as the regular HK. The Special long guns from HK like the PSG1 have polygonal rifling, as well as the pistols.

As for the NSR500, I don't have one. I do want one, but that would not be possible with the V4 which were only leased with condition of return to Honda. The NSR500V however was available for ownership anda couple of privateers bought them. They do pop up for sale every once and a while, but the price is insane now.
BTW... I've met Freddie Spencer and Mick Doohan, now those guys are Heros! Valentino Rossi is the guy to beat right now, and I am a fan, but Mick, and Freddie had to tame the V4 Beast. By the time Rossi inherited the V4 it was very mature and not the crippler it used to be.

WTF? Over...

OG Z
10-15-2009, 5:40 PM

i am so glad to talk to another GP fan. I am impressed that you know about the V4 lease from HRC. i would say that the easiest 500 2 stroke to get would be an RGV from australia or new zealand. i would love a YZR500 to be honest but i think K. Roberts owns the only two imported to the US. and to be COMPLETELY HONEST, i would probably die on a 500 2 stroke, at least at this point in my track riding career. Not many people remember Fast Freddy, at least in my age group, which is about 20 to 25. theres a cool video on youtube, Freddy races against another bike and a Z car at laguna seca, search "500 GP" and i think it is the second one down. Valentino Rossi is by far the most incredibly fast person i have ever seen. hes the fastest and he is always looking at the ground too! i cant ride like that. its too bad to hear that you dont have an NSR, but if you do have a bike i would love to hear about it. I have an 89 FZR400, that i bought because it is literaly the closest thing i could find to an old school GP bike for my budget. the bike is awesome and I am in love with it. also as for rifling, i met a man at a 3 gun comp that told me his HK G3 had the poly bore. it was an old school one with slim green furniture. I didnt ask to look or anything so i dont know, was he BSing?

fcastle
12-02-2009, 6:22 PM
Well, here's my $0.02:

I own a PTR-91 and this thing has problems with commercial ammo, let alone Wolf. Yeah, I said **commercial ammo.** The gun does not always eject an empty shell. Basically after about 10-15 rounds the empties get stuck and I have to almost kick the bolt open.

I did some digging and basically the problem is that the flutes in the chamber of the PTR are not long enough, nor are they deep enough, as compared to the HK91 and the G3.

I have contacted PTR and they came back with their standard, "well, you have to use commercial ammo." But even with commercial ammo the thing is finicky. So I told them their answer is unacceptable and advised them of their problem (which apparently they know about). I'm waiting for a response from them.

My vote would be that if the Wolf ammo is lacquered, it's going to be a problem. But, if you shoot it and it's not a problem, my hat's off to you. A *battle rifle* should be able to shoot anything and everything.

Thanks,

HKS

run8
12-02-2009, 6:27 PM
I have Wolf for my AK and SKS, will not shoot it in anything else, I figure the Russian weapons were designed for the sloppy tolerances anyways. Now I will shoot Golden Bear, I've had good luck with that.

mj1
12-02-2009, 7:40 PM
Roll your own.