PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Customization questions.

Veggie
10-14-2009, 7:00 PM
I just purchased my first AR-15 and I have countless questions. Is there somewhere online I can find a ton of information on customizing an AR-15.

For example.

Can you removed the front sites of a barrel? Or do I need a new barrel if I want to get rid of them and use a rifle length forearm?

Just one of the many questions I have and will probably have.

Hova
10-14-2009, 7:09 PM
The standard front sight post is your gas block. you can replace it with a low profile gas block that will fit under rifle length handguards without replacing the barrel. however, depending on what rail system you go with, you will need to remove the barrel nut to install it.
The AR platform is great when considering customization because literally everything can be changed and upgraded.
Look at some of the sponsor sites for accessories.

lawaia
10-14-2009, 7:09 PM
Surf this site A LOT! You will find an endless amount of information. Also, start looking around at the webstores of the vendors that support this site. You will get lots of ideas for customizing your gun. I also use google search a lot to find answers. You can find great instructional videos on Youtube.

Just make sure your wallet is ready. I know I went totally overboard once I got into the AR's.

Welcome to the disease!

ShelbyGT500
10-14-2009, 7:12 PM
use the search function, there's a lot of great info already here. I'm a newbie myself and almost ALL my questions have already been asked and answered

:)

Veggie
10-14-2009, 7:12 PM
Yea I was looking at the front site and didnt see how it could come off. I got a little book at the gun show detailing all the parts of an AR. Maybe It is in there. (OHHH i see the pins.)

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1772&cat=1691

this is the forearm I am gonna get i think.

tomd1584
10-14-2009, 7:16 PM
have you felt that handguard before? its pretty thick. i suggest you find a store near you that sells some, and try out a few before you make a decision.

pacrimguru
10-14-2009, 7:17 PM
shoot it before you do anything to it! shoot it a lot.

Veggie
10-14-2009, 7:19 PM
Yea I don't plan to customize yet. Prob start after new years. I plan to though its been something I have been planning for ages.

tomd1584
10-14-2009, 7:20 PM
shoot it before you do anything to it! shoot it a lot.

unfortunately it seems too many people want to tacticool there rifles before they ever fire a single round.

Veggie
10-14-2009, 7:21 PM
The tactical look is how I am going but I do plan to fire it quite a bit first.

pacrimguru
10-14-2009, 7:24 PM
i'm all for making it look cool. it's just that you need to shoot it before you can know what parts you would want to upgrade too. there's nothing wrong with making your rifle more tactical in use as well as looks at the same time.

coq
10-14-2009, 7:25 PM
Yea I was looking at the front site and didnt see how it could come off. I got a little book at the gun show detailing all the parts of an AR. Maybe It is in there. (OHHH i see the pins.)

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1772&cat=1691

this is the forearm I am gonna get i think.

Nice rails. You will have acres of space for lasers, lights, optics, magnifiers, bipod, sling swivels, vertical grip...and now also have sights in addition to your lo-profile gas block. It will look beeatchin' and weigh a frickin ton! Before you knock out those sightpost pins, Google KISS AR-15! My favorite AR weighs 7lbs including EOTech and BUIS.

Veggie
10-14-2009, 7:26 PM
Yea I understand that.

The most I am thinking I am going to do is get a new forearm some Magpul MBUS, a foregrip. Thats it really for now.

coq
10-14-2009, 8:48 PM
Don't mind me. For each his own. I was going to go down that road more than once, but the weight and cost of so much rail, most of which I'd never use— 'cause that would mean yet more weight and cost—ended up just discouraging me. Now I'm used to the comfort and lightness of the cheap plastic hand guards. Someday I will try some rails, too. The important thing is that you'll have a great time watching your AR evolve...and even more fun when you get out to shoot it some!

Veggie
10-14-2009, 10:19 PM
What I like about that rail I linked is two fold. 1) It elevates the rail and 2) the rail becomes all one piece.\

If ya know any other good similar ones I am open to looking.

coop44
10-15-2009, 9:45 AM
Congrats on your ar, buy the optional wheels for the lower rails if you plan on loading it up(ha-ha). I have seen a few that must weigh as much as a garand. Personally I am a big fan of a KISS build. No extras just the basics.

Veggie
10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Not going to load it up too much. Don't plan on buying stuff I will never use.

mr2.0
10-15-2009, 12:01 PM
unfortunately it seems too many people want to tacticool there rifles before they ever fire a single round.

Why is it unfortunate? what's wrong with tacticool? You might think I'm crazy, but I enjoy building the rifle more than I enjoy shooting. Veggie if you are near the OC area, just hit me up. I'll answer your question as much as I can and If you need help working on it, just swing by. Tam

tomd1584
10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Why is it unfortunate? what's wrong with tacticool? You might think I'm crazy, but I enjoy building the rifle more than I enjoy shooting. Veggie if you are near the OC area, just hit me up. I'll answer your question as much as I can and If you need help working on it, just swing by. Tam

Its unfortunate because instead of learning how to shoot the rifle first and become proficient, people just want to put as much stuff as they can afford on their rifles.

I dont think you're crazy. I like building the rifle too, but NOT more than shooting it.

Veggie
10-15-2009, 8:51 PM
Im a good many many hours north Mr2.0. I live in Turlock, just south of Modesto :)

campperrykid
10-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Take a look at m4carbine.net.
The main focus is work guns , but hobby shooters who want to learn are welcome. There is a very high density of experienced pro's ( in their various fields ) on m4 . People can save a lot of hassle and grief by getting solid info from the start.