PDA

View Full Version : AR on EOtech vs Aimpoint

evollep3
10-14-2009, 6:03 PM
Seem like the trend of people are fading from EOtech back to Aimpoint these days or to a 1-4X optic like millet. what is everyone's take on why?

Vinz
10-14-2009, 6:15 PM
Aimpoints are lighter, might be the main reason. Plus the T1's are very popular and I am considering one for my next build. I still prefer my Eotech w/ magnifier.

vinz

Vin496
10-14-2009, 6:20 PM
I recently just switched from an Aimpoint to an Eotech XPS. I just like the dot and openness of the Eotech better.

evollep3
10-14-2009, 6:22 PM
That is very true i was thinking of switching my EOtech to my TX30 I had my Aimpoint Comp for like a month before i had to let it go i felt like i had tunnel vision the whole time. i never look through the t1 yet but it does look promising

tomd1584
10-14-2009, 6:24 PM
battery life is a huge plus for many people.

evollep3
10-14-2009, 6:25 PM
battery life is a huge plus for many people.

yea true but then why is the Trijicon TX30 not as popular ?

evidens83
10-14-2009, 6:30 PM
I felt the better field of vision from the Eotech was more important to me than the superior battery life of an Aimpoint. AA batteries are so cheap and plentiful anyways plus I dont leave my Eotech on other than when at the range.

Vin496
10-14-2009, 6:32 PM
I felt the better field of vision from the Eotech was more important to me than the superior battery life of an Aimpoint. AA batteries are so cheap and plentiful anyways plus I dont leave my Eotech on other than when at the range.

This is true, I turn it off when I'm not using it so battery life really isn't an issue. That and the fact I have a few stored in the stock if I run out.

evidens83
10-14-2009, 6:39 PM
And then I always hear the argument that if SHTF and you need to grab your AR, the Aimpoint would be ready to go because you dont have to worry about turning it off. Cmon now how hard and long would it take to press the on button on the Eotech?!

Addax
10-14-2009, 6:44 PM
It always seems to flip flop between Eotech or Aimpoint about every 6 months...

Earlier part of this year, it was Eotech, now it seems like many guys are looking more at Aimpoint...

IMHO, both work, and both are great sights.

Crusader
10-14-2009, 6:54 PM
I like the field of view on the EOTech much more than the tunnel vision I get when using an Aimpoint. If SHTF/TEOTWAWKI were a factor though, I would definitely grab an Aimpoint. Thousands of hours of battery life as opposed to a couple hundred would be a bid difference when the supply of batteries is running out.

lawaia
10-14-2009, 6:57 PM
I went with Aimpoint, because I read many reports of Eotech failures under hard use. Aimpoint seems to have a reputation for durability & reliability.

JeffW
10-14-2009, 7:00 PM
I've used the EOTech since it was a Bushnell Holosight, have an CompM3 and a T1.

The T1 is the bees knees.

I've been selling off eotech (down to just one holosight) and accumulating aimpoint. I have had EOTech's in for warranty service. Never on an aimpoint.

sao
10-14-2009, 7:42 PM
Not to thread jack, but why is the T1 better then say a ML3? Im looking at an aimpoint, leaning toward the ML3.

Vin496
10-14-2009, 7:46 PM
Not to thread jack, but why is the T1 better then say a ML3? Im looking at an aimpoint, leaning toward the ML3.

People seem to like the T1 for the sheer fact that it is a Aimpoint red dot in a considerably smaller package.

Notice that most the pro Eotech posters are citing FOV, it seems that the T1 may alleviate the 'looking trough a scope" feel the M3/M4 can give.

theseacow
10-14-2009, 7:47 PM
I broke an eotech when i dropped it onto the garage floor. I'm not convinced that my aimpoint can even be broken. I have both, and both are alot of fun. I personally think that the aimpoint is the pro grade tool that is by far the most durable.

Justintoxicated
10-14-2009, 7:52 PM
if SHTF I would think ACOG would be the way to go. I'm not in combat and only shoot at the range, so EOTech for me, I feel for my use the advantages outweigh the cons. The 500 hour battey life is fine for me, I'm still on the first set of batteries 6 months later.

I wouldn't mind having one of each, but if i'm going to forfeit the cool reticle and FOV from the EOtech, I think I will go right to an ACOG and skip the aimpoint.

ZRT650
10-14-2009, 7:53 PM
Yeah aimpoint I feel is far more superior to eotech when it comes to durability. Though I like the sight picture on the eotech if I had to choose between the two aimpoint gets my vote.

Sunshine
10-14-2009, 8:10 PM
People seem to like the T1 for the sheer fact that it is a Aimpoint red dot in a considerably smaller package.

Notice that most the pro Eotech posters are citing FOV, it seems that the T1 may alleviate the 'looking trough a scope" feel the M3/M4 can give.

The solution to that is to simply keep both eyes open :)

I've heard people complain about how the smaller 20mm tube gives you more of that "looking trough a scope" feeling, but again... open both eyes.

I just got my H-1 and I'm impressed. I went with it b/c its lighter than an ML3, its batteries are more common and its battery life is just as good.

fliparch
10-14-2009, 8:50 PM
I've got a Mark IV 1.5-5x and want to back it up with a T1 with a Daniel Defense offset mount. I can't do this with an Eotech or an Acog unless I go with a Docter or Fastfire. I also like the reviews I've seen and read.

paladin4415
10-14-2009, 8:57 PM
I don't understand the field of view issues some of you are having. You use both optics with both eyes open all the time.
I have seen many, many Eotech's go down, but never an Aimpoint.

dot429
10-14-2009, 9:00 PM
I couldn't decide, so I bought'em both. Yeah, I'm sick, an addict for sure.

I like them both, but for different reasons. All of my Aimpoints tend to blur, the dots in them, I mean. I might call Aimpoint to see if I got some bad ones. I did have to send one back to Midway, because it came out of the box with some kind of spoooge all over the inside of the front element. They replaced it no problem. But with all my Aimpoints, the dot gets blurry unless I keep it turned down to where it is just barely visible.

My Eotech has been rock solid, though it took a ton of clicks to get my groups to move on paper. I called GG&G, where I got it, and they suggested that I work the windage & elevation screws to both extremes and then center them and try again. GG&G said that sometimes the adjustments can get hung up and need some coaxing. Well, after that, the Eotech adjusted fine; I have a 50 yard zero at the moment, but will re-zero at 100 yards when I have the chance.

The thing about the Eotech that I don't like is that the reticle is kind of fuzzy, as if it's made up of tons of little dots. I don't think that there is a perfect optic out there, however, I hear that the Leupold CQ/T is really great.

The thing about the Eotechs going down is because of heavy recoil. The models that have the batteries running along the bore's axis can shut off due to the inertia of the batteries moving back and for an instant, losing contact with their connections. Some of the newer Eotechs have batteries that run perpendicular to the bore, which have fixed that problem. Other than the fuzziness, my biggest complaint about the Eotech is their bulky size and odd shape. They just don't look right to my eye on some rifles. At the end of the day, they are indeed a tool so I suppose that looks aren't high on the priority list.

My next build will include one of those to try it out. But I'll have to wait a few months so I don't end up in divorce court.

dwa
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
i think the eotech Reticle is far superior, but that's just my opinion. aim points have proven to be the more durable optic.

duc748bip
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Maybe Aimpoint offer better cheekweld then Eotech?

Justintoxicated
10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't understand the field of view issues some of you are having. You use both optics with both eyes open all the time.
I have seen many, many Eotech's go down, but never an Aimpoint.

I can't do that with the magnifier flipped to the left side, it totally screws with your view. Also the Eotech has a larger area to place the reticle in and less obtrusive surround IMO and I prefer the smaller dot. Aimpoints are likely more durable though, I suppose, but I haven't had any issues yet. I don't really understand the battery issues with the eotech. Sounds to me like the springs are just not stiff enough. Doesn't the Aimpoint have the battery in the same orientation? I was a bit surprised the 123's went in lengthwise when I got my 516. I thought they would go sideways since, even I thought it could cause problems having them lengthwise, and figured it was one of the advantages of using 123's.

Ravenslair
10-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I own several EOTechs (511, 512, XPS) and an Aimpoint Micro T1. I think both manufactures make great products. I prefer the EOTech dot in a donut over the simple dot of the aimpoint. Makes for quicker acquisition in CQB situations. The EOTech does not obstruct my vision as much as the Micro T1 (which is still minimal at most). The Aimpoint has battery life points locked up. Turn it on and leave it alone for years. My EOTechs eat batteries. The Aimpoint is lighter and smaller.

For me, it really comes down to the dot in a donut. I have not had any issues with any of the EOTechs or the Aimpoint. All are solid.

J_Rock
10-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I couldn't decide, so I bought'em both. Yeah, I'm sick, an addict for sure.

I like them both, but for different reasons. All of my Aimpoints tend to blur, the dots in them, I mean. I might call Aimpoint to see if I got some bad ones.

I think you might have astigmatism. Try taking a picture of the dot with your camera, then view the picture. If it looks normal in the picture then its probably your eyes.

About the aimpoint vs eotech issue. Honestly Ive seen enough of these threads to make me not really give a s**t anymore. Run what you want. Hell just buy a C-More sight or one of those tasco red dots.

Sunshine
10-15-2009, 12:08 AM
no need to take a pic, one trick is to look through the aimpoint and rotate it. If the blurred image rotates, then its the dot. If the image remains the same, its your eyes. Also, if the image changes from left eye to right eye... its your eyes and astigmatism.

One trick, since I do have some astigmatism, is to look at the dot through the small rear aperture, which results in a much smaller and circular dot, rather than a larger football, which is nice for more precision. Furthermore, its much less of an issue when you keep both eyes open, and focus on your target, and not the dot.

Josh3239
10-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Aimpoints battery life and their lack of an auto shut off gives it a tiny edge against the EO Tech if you ask me. However the EO Tech is great for quick target acquisition and not having to look down a tube is a big plus IMO. It seems there is no perfect optic (atleast until EO Tech can make their batteries last much longer or Aimpoint makes a holographic sight). Everyone talks about how reliable the Aimpoint is yet I still hear stories from Iraq where some soldiers think the EO Techs are the best and the Aimpoints suck, and others where the Aimpoint is the best and the EO Tech suck.

I suppose it comes down to the purpose of the optic. If we are talking about SHTF I think I lean toward the Aimpoint. Anything else like self defense or competition I lean toward the EO Tech.

sholling
10-15-2009, 8:37 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the red dot showing to the front. That's the curse of all illuminated reticle scopes and red dot sights. True it's most visible from point of aim but it's still an issue. Holosights don't project a glowing dot that's visible down range.

MissionMTMan
10-15-2009, 9:37 AM
I personally think the new EoTech XPS sights are the best. Like one user was saying the battery is now perpendicular and it seals better than previous Eotechs so I think it will hold up against the elements better. With it being smaller, it feels like a tighter more durable package. If it is any conciliation, I have a friend in Triple Canopy and he said all the guys he works with like the new XPS's the best. I wouldn't know when it comes to a SHTF situation because I have never been in one but I know they have and if that is what they like, it will work for me and my paper punching.

1919A4
10-15-2009, 9:41 AM
I have had both. Various models.The aimpoint seems to be built tougher. I have had two eotechs fail. But I still buy them cause they are awesome. I just love the ring of death on them for fast target shooting. I think the field of view is better on the eotech but if I had to choose for reliability. I go with the aimpoint. But thats just the luck I have had. They both are awesome and you really cant go wrong with either.

Edited to add:
On both ocasions. I called eotech and the service was the best. They had replacments parts to me the next day. Cant beat that. They even sent me a free extra hood one time.

scidx
10-15-2009, 10:08 AM
For what it's worth...(military perspective)

My old unit did an independent purchase of the EOTech (552 I believe. the one with NV and AA batt capability)to replace Aimpoint compM2s. At first they were great. Field of view, ease of use, parralax free at >25m, AA batt as opposed to the old compM2 that used watch batteries. After a couple deployments, the EOTechs started to show their true colors. It seems the battery covers were faulty. They drained slight power when turned off, causing dead batteries and eventual corrosion. And, the gromets that held the batt connectors would not stay in place. A senior NCO found an EOTech sales rep at SHOT Show and inquired. As it turned out, the overseas company that EOTech outsourced to for the batt covers found that the battery connectors would stick together is shipping. They remedied this by shipping in talcum powder. Well, talcum powder doesn't play right with the adhesive used to hold the connectors in place. The sales rep said to sent all damaged covers back for replacement. The first group were replaced on EOTech's dime in good time. Eventually, these covers suffered from the same problem. We tried to contact the same guy, but he no longer works there. When I PCSed earlier this year, we still had not heard back from EOTech. Luckily, Aimpoint improved their product. Military M68 is now CompM4 for new orders.

Personally, I like non-electronic optics.

evollep3
10-15-2009, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth...(military perspective)

My old unit did an independent purchase of the EOTech (552 I believe. the one with NV and AA batt capability)to replace Aimpoint compM2s. At first they were great. Field of view, ease of use, parralax free at >25m, AA batt as opposed to the old compM2 that used watch batteries. After a couple deployments, the EOTechs started to show their true colors. It seems the battery covers were faulty. They drained slight power when turned off, causing dead batteries and eventual corrosion. And, the gromets that held the batt connectors would not stay in place. A senior NCO found an EOTech sales rep at SHOT Show and inquired. As it turned out, the overseas company that EOTech outsourced to for the batt covers found that the battery connectors would stick together is shipping. They remedied this by shipping in talcum powder. Well, talcum powder doesn't play right with the adhesive used to hold the connectors in place. The sales rep said to sent all damaged covers back for replacement. The first group were replaced on EOTech's dime in good time. Eventually, these covers suffered from the same problem. We tried to contact the same guy, but he no longer works there. When I PCSed earlier this year, we still had not heard back from EOTech. Luckily, Aimpoint improved their product. Military M68 is now CompM4 for new orders.

Personally, I like non-electronic optics.

I agree with you on Non Electronic Optics which why Trijicon has always been my favorite but why optics such as the Trijicon TX30 which uses the same components as the Acog self-luminous aiming systems, its almost failsafe firearms system that provides a fully illuminated reticle that's easy to see in virtually any lighting conditions, including partial or total darkness that Trijicon usally have a problem in?
http://swfa.com/images/tx30.jpg

dot429
10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I think you might have astigmatism. Try taking a picture of the dot with your camera, then view the picture. If it looks normal in the picture then its probably your eyes.

About the aimpoint vs eotech issue. Honestly Ive seen enough of these threads to make me not really give a s**t anymore. Run what you want. Hell just buy a C-More sight or one of those tasco red dots.

he-he! Yeah, my 40-something year old eyes aren't what they used to be... your probably right. Just as an inexpensive alternative, I've run a couple of these Bushnells:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=375193

Sure, they don't look as neat as the Aimpoint, but I currently have one on my GSG-5, and for a while, I ran one on my SOCOM 16 M1A, and if you're familiar with the SOCOM 16, the rail gets VERY hot. I shot the SOCOM with that Bushnell on it until the optic go so hot that I could hardly touch it, and the dot never faded, and it held its zero.

I did end up changing it out to scout scope, but I'm not happy with that so I may try something else, but my point is that one does not need to spend big bucks to have a quality red dot optic.

Clodbuster
10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
If you were really thinking about some sort of SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation, I would worry more about the supply of ammo for your firearm than batteries to run a scope...

Clod

I like the field of view on the EOTech much more than the tunnel vision I get when using an Aimpoint. If SHTF/TEOTWAWKI were a factor though, I would definitely grab an Aimpoint. Thousands of hours of battery life as opposed to a couple hundred would be a bid difference when the supply of batteries is running out.

Justintoxicated
10-15-2009, 4:31 PM
Anyone using Eotechs with the lithium 123's think the battery life sucks? Or is it just people with the older 512's that have this issue? I'm more than happy with the battery life of my 516. I don't think eotechs will ever be as efficient as aimpoints. Lasers simply require more power than LED's to function... Different technology.

I like Trijicon the best

scidx
10-15-2009, 5:51 PM
TEOTWAWKI

what?

evollep3
10-15-2009, 6:03 PM
what?

i think its japanese :confused:

scidx
10-15-2009, 6:07 PM
Is that the guy that designed the first Honda Civic?

tomd1584
10-15-2009, 6:08 PM
what?

The End Of The World As We Know It

scidx
10-15-2009, 6:10 PM
Oh... right on.

evollep3
10-15-2009, 6:12 PM
Is that the guy that designed the first Honda Civic?

lol

TEOTWAWKI = the end of the world as we know it.

dexter9659
10-15-2009, 6:12 PM
Im a huge fan of Aimpoints. Great battery life, and the smaller dot is a personal preference to me.

Vin496
10-15-2009, 6:34 PM
what?

The End Of The World As We Know It- TEOTWAWKI

J_Rock
10-15-2009, 7:57 PM
The End Of The World As We Know It- TEOTWAWKI

In theaters 2012 :D

k_corj
10-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I like the T-1, its superior to the eotech period. Better batt. life, more durable, lighter and smaller, no fuzzy reticle.

Anyway if you think price difference is too much, better products usually are more expensive.