PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this rifle/scope?

pepsi2451
10-14-2009, 5:51 PM
I am thinking about getting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 7mm rem mag and a TRS-1 Scope.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint.asp
http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/trs

The rifle will be used mostly for target shooting but I might also use it for hunting at long distances. Most of my shooting will be within 600 yards but I would like something I could use up to 1000 yards eventually.

I was thinking of getting the SPS DM with the detachable magazine but would that limit my options on after market stocks down the line? The reason I want a 700 is because of all the options and after marked parts/accessories.

What about the TRS-1 scope? Will it get me out to 1000 yards? I know its made in China but it seems to have good reviews and its cheaper then similar US made scopes. I want something will mill dots and target knobs and I like the fact that its 50mm.

ar15barrels
10-14-2009, 7:33 PM
How much do you intend to shoot this rifle?
If you are not attuned to heavy recoil already, don't buy a magnum.

pepsi2451
10-14-2009, 7:48 PM
I'll probably shoot 50-100 rounds a month at most (depending how cheap I can reload for it). I'm not worried about recoil, my dad has a 700 ADL in 7mm mag and I really like it. I have a .243 if I want to shoot all day.

Plebius15
10-14-2009, 10:55 PM
The SPS Varmint does not come in 7mm Rem Mag. Click on the Specifications tab on that page to see what calibers it does come in. I would suggest getting one in .308, as that would fulfill your described needs just fine and would be a lot cheaper to shoot than 7mm Rem Mag.

pepsi2451
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
The SPS Varmint does not come in 7mm Rem Mag. Click on the Specifications tab on that page to see what calibers it does come in.

Your right, I guess I would have to get a standard sps or the sps dm.

I would suggest getting one in .308, as that would fulfill your described needs just fine and would be a lot cheaper to shoot than 7mm Rem Mag.

I was afraid someone was gonna say that. I was thinking about a .308 but I was leaning towards the 7mm for the flatter trajectory and more power down range. I don't do any long range hunting right now but I may want to in the future and it seems the 7mm would be better for that. It does use a lot more powder then a .308 though. Ideally I would like to have both. So now I guess its between an sps or sps dm in 7mm or a sps varmint in .308. I hate making decisions.

OG Z
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
i think its a good setup. 700s have always been rock steady, and if you dont like the sight you can sell it, or maybe trade the factory for a different one. i would say if you have the money now is the time, this stuff will not get any cheaper than it is now.

swerv512
10-15-2009, 3:00 PM
if i was in need of a hunting/LR rifle- i'd go with the 7mm. if you want to shoot paper cheap and far- go 308. you cant afford to not make an ethical kill when hunting... but it does depend on what you intend to hunt.

swerv512
10-15-2009, 3:01 PM
Oops..
forgot my typical CGN response:
BUY BOTH!

pepsi2451
10-15-2009, 5:44 PM
if i was in need of a hunting/LR rifle- i'd go with the 7mm. if you want to shoot paper cheap and far- go 308. you cant afford to not make an ethical kill when hunting... but it does depend on what you intend to hunt.

Right now I only hunt blacktail deer here in CA and I have taken all of them within 200 yards. I wanted an accurate long range rifle and I thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone and get something I could use to hunt at long range. Someday I may want to hunt Elk or Whitetail at long range. I figure the 7mm rem mag will work for pretty much whatever I'm hunting.

Oops..
forgot my typical CGN response:
BUY BOTH!

I would love to, I just need to decide what to get first. It might be a awhile before I get the second one.

What do you guys think about the SPS DM vs the standard SPS with an aftermarket detachable magazine? Will it limit my options for aftermarket stocks?

swerv512
10-15-2009, 6:12 PM
the only "bad" thing i've heard about the stock 700 DM is that it doesnt come in short action....
most aftermarket DM systems require some type of stock modification (could be minor, could require serios inletting depending on Dm/stock combination)

ar15barrels
10-15-2009, 6:29 PM
the only "bad" thing i've heard about the stock 700 DM is that it doesnt come in short action....
most aftermarket DM systems require some type of stock modification (could be minor, could require serios inletting depending on Dm/stock combination)

Long action detatchable magazine bottom metal options are real slim.
The only one that comes to mind is the Kwik Klip.
At least it's cheap...

swerv512
10-15-2009, 6:40 PM
i know HS makes a LA DM for the 06', the 300Wm, and the 300 Ultra- but for HS price, you might as well get the Kwik Clip unless your really serious about spending the $$$

ar15barrels
10-15-2009, 6:51 PM
i know HS makes a LA DM for the 06', the 300Wm, and the 300 Ultra- but for HS price, you might as well get the Kwik Clip unless your really serious about spending the $$$

The issue with the magnums is that NOBODY makes a 10rd magazine.
You are usually limited to 7 rounds of magnum in a 10rd 308/30-06 magazine.

swerv512
10-15-2009, 6:56 PM
yep- definitely a bummer....

Plebius15
10-15-2009, 7:18 PM
I think you ought to decide if you really want a precision rifle or a hunting rifle, because you really can't have one that works great for both uses. The main problem is the barrel. A heavy barrel (like the SPS Varmint comes with) is better for precision shooting, but the extra weight makes if more difficult to carry around out in the woods for hunting. A light barrel (like the SPS and SPS DM come with) is easier to carry and is accurate enough for hunting, but often is not capable of making sub-MOA shots that are important in precision shooting.

I guess in a perfect world you ought to get both a SPS Varmint in .308 and a SPS or SPS DM in 7mm to get the best of both worlds, but if that is not an option at this time you may have to make a compromise.

Desert_Rat
10-15-2009, 7:26 PM
I just mounted My new TRS-1 onto my 700 sps varmint in .308 last night.I'll be going to the range to dial in it tomorrow morning..I'm liking the scope so far.All of the on line reviews I read,said the main down side was the side focus knod was too hard to turn.I must have lucked out,mine is smooth as can be.
UPDATE: I took it out this morning and dialed it in. I like it,great scope for the money,I'll probably get another one for My .300

pepsi2451
10-16-2009, 5:53 PM
I think you ought to decide if you really want a precision rifle or a hunting rifle, because you really can't have one that works great for both uses. The main problem is the barrel. A heavy barrel (like the SPS Varmint comes with) is better for precision shooting, but the extra weight makes if more difficult to carry around out in the woods for hunting. A light barrel (like the SPS and SPS DM come with) is easier to carry and is accurate enough for hunting, but often is not capable of making sub-MOA shots that are important in precision shooting.

I guess in a perfect world you ought to get both a SPS Varmint in .308 and a SPS or SPS DM in 7mm to get the best of both worlds, but if that is not an option at this time you may have to make a compromise.

Well I guess what I'm looking for is a precision rifle in a caliber big enough I could use it for long range hunting. Weight isn't really an issue, I would only be using it if I knew I was gonna be sitting in one spot for a while and I thought I might have to make a long shot. I have a Ruger M77 in .243 and Remington 742 30-06 that I can carry around, this would only be used if I knew I was gonna be taking long shots.

What kind of difference in accuracy can I expect between the sps varmint in .308 and the sps in 7mm?

I just mounted My new TRS-1 onto my 700 sps varmint in .308 last night.I'll be going to the range to dial in it tomorrow morning..I'm liking the scope so far.All of the on line reviews I read,said the main down side was the side focus knod was too hard to turn.I must have lucked out,mine is smooth as can be.
UPDATE: I took it out this morning and dialed it in. I like it,great scope for the money,I'll probably get another one for My .300

Yeah the focus knob was the only downside I read about, glad to hear yours is smooth. I will probably be getting that scope.