View Full Version : Dark bores

10-14-2009, 3:52 PM
What does dark bores mean? Are the grooves and lands gone, pitted?
How does it affect the firearm?

I see parts kits for sale with dark bores and would like to know what that really means.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-14-2009, 4:30 PM
It means all kinds of things. First and foremost, it means that the bore isn't shiney anymore. It could be from shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning it right. It could be from shooting lots and lots of hot or errosive ammo through it. It could be from being stored in a South American jungle for 80 years. Whatever it is, it means that there is rust/oxidation/crud in the barrel. How much that effects accuracy is highly dependant on the particular weapon. I have had some guns that just had a light frosting in the barrel (minimal oxidation) and they shot 1 foot groups at 100 yards. I have had others with dark and pitted bores that originally looked like rotted out sewer pipes. After cleaning they were still dark, but could shoot a respectable 4 inch group at the same distance. Regardless, accuracy won't be on par with a gun with a better bore. You have to decide if that matters to you. If you are looking at a Yugo SKS that will be a truck gun, that won't matter much. If you are looking at a target rifle with a dark bore, you may want to keep looking.

10-14-2009, 4:45 PM
Dark bore is good, shiny bore is shot out.

10-14-2009, 5:39 PM
Dark bore is good, shiny bore is shot out.

Thats what i thought. If you have any shiny bore guns, ill take them off your hands for you real cheap since they are shot out . Thanks

10-14-2009, 6:06 PM
LOL you guys are so mean.

10-14-2009, 6:11 PM
Its all in fun my friend.