PDA

View Full Version : AB373 being amended to repeal AB962

Desert Cowboy
10-14-2009, 3:26 PM
AB373 is an NRA supported bill to streamline handgun purchases for Californians, it was introduced earlier this year by assemblyman Curt Hagman. The bill is currently being amended to repeal AB962, the amended bill will be heard in the lefislature during the January 2010 session. This info is from the NRA so it should be old news to most of you. We need to support Curt Hagman and get other assembly people on board with this. If you want to contact Curt Hagman, his office phone number is 916-319-2060 and you can email him at Assemblymember.Hagman@assembly.ca.gov (some of this info retrieved from the www.Arizonarifleman.com

wellerjohn
10-14-2009, 3:42 PM
Going to the same legislature that just voted in AB962? Don't get your hopes up to much....:confused:

rolo
10-14-2009, 3:44 PM
Wait a sec. Wasn't ab373 going to be about expanding gun rights in California? I thought we were challenging 962 in court...

Why back burner the original ab373?

wildhawker
10-14-2009, 3:47 PM
Another thread on the topic you might want to review; this one is somewhat redundant.

AB373 is a very plausible way to combat the bill; in conjunction w/ Coalition legal action and substantial grassroots support it can happen.

bwiese
10-14-2009, 3:54 PM
Wait a sec. Wasn't ab373 going to be about expanding gun rights in California? I thought we were challenging 962 in court...

Why back burner the original ab373?

962 will be challenged in court. The fact there's a legislative act to obviate it, and the fact that there's court challenge that parallels support for the new legislation can only help self-reinforce.

AB373 was a placeholder "spot" bill.

We can 'gut and amend' too ;) and use it for what we need.

rolo
10-14-2009, 3:55 PM
Cool. We should probably move this to the other thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231032

Surefire
10-14-2009, 5:21 PM
Going to the same legislature that just voted in AB962? Don't get your hopes up to much....:confused:

Yeah, my thoughts too.

Why would a liberal legislature vote for AB373?? :confused:

Our bigger chance is for the lawsuit to pay off... but that may take years and the outcome is unknown.

bwiese
10-14-2009, 5:26 PM
Yeah, my thoughts too.

Our bigger chance is for the lawsuit to pay off... but that may take years and the outcome is unknown.

Some don't like bad law esp if law is in conflict with Fed law and litigation is underway and likely to succeed.

Given that this law took several passes to become law, there's a fair chance it can be unwound perhaps in a less contentious legislative session or signing session.

And the case won't "take years" - it doesn't need to go to the Supremes, it can go straight to Federal court; the Supremes have already spoken - favorably and unanimously - on a well-nigh identical case.

Surefire
10-14-2009, 5:31 PM
Some don't like bad law esp if law is in conflict with Fed law and litigation is underway and likely to succeed.

Given that this law took several passes to become law, there's a fair chance it can be unwound perhaps in a less contentious legislative session or signing session.

And the case won't "take years" - it doesn't need to go to the Supremes, it can go straight to Federal court; the Supremes have already spoken - favorably and unanimously - on a well-nigh identical case.

I hope you are right on both points.

AB373 passing would be awesome.

So would a win in court.

What are our changes of getting shall issue CCW passed in CA if both the above go our way?

Sabot
10-14-2009, 5:45 PM
The purpose of AB962 is "Gun Control", not "Crime Control". Don't expect any help from the left on this one.

dchang0
10-14-2009, 6:29 PM
Yeah, my thoughts too.

Well, for one, we have a lot more angry and motivated gun owners this time around. I think a lot of people didn't even know about AB962, and of those that did, few did anything because they didn't take it seriously.

Now that the anti-gunners won one, a lot more people are getting off their duffs to do something about it. We could win AB373 AND take down AB962 in court.

Desert Cowboy
10-14-2009, 7:14 PM
Another thread on the topic you might want to review; this one is somewhat redundant.

AB373 is a very plausible way to combat the bill; in conjunction w/ Coalition legal action and substantial grassroots support it can happen.

Sorry, I thought looked before I lept, I didn't mean to make a duplicate post.