PDA

View Full Version : AB962 changes to law.

rklute
10-14-2009, 3:31 PM
Since AB962 amends existing statute and adds new provisions, I have attached a PDF that shows what the amended/added sections should look like. Since this was done by hand, there may be mistakes but I have done my best.

curtisfong
10-14-2009, 3:32 PM
WOW, thanks, excellent presentation! Hopefully others can look it over and comment on any errors.

gazzavc
10-14-2009, 4:15 PM
So as I read this, any FFL 03 (Curio & Relic Collector) with a current Certificate of Eligibility from the DOJ can order and/or purchase handgun ammunition online or over the phone ??

Now the hard part of that is convincing the ammo sellers of that specific exclusion.

We need that specific paragraph to be posted as a link to where they might be able to read it.

Gary

Steve O
10-14-2009, 5:28 PM
Looks like Californians will be doing more than just gambling in Nevada! lol...

Sabot
10-14-2009, 6:55 PM
I guess I'll have to get a COE to go with my FFL 03 licence. If this works then I'll feel a little better about the whole thing.

barrykay
10-14-2009, 10:05 PM
I guess I'll have to get a COE to go with my FFL 03 licence. If this works then I'll feel a little better about the whole thing.

"Feel better" Why? because it works for you and screw anybody else?
One area you and others may be missing is that many, most, or all Internet vender's may just say screw California.
Also if this does not get overturned, it would be a simple addendum to the law to prohibit importing more then 500 rounds of ammo by any person other then a ammo vendor and an 03\COE will not cut that ice.

There is only one way to defeat this B.S. and that is the courts. Not finding a loophole by any one individual.:cool2:

glockwise2000
10-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Just by reading. You could still order ammunition online as long as they are for rifle ammunition.

But as "barrykay" mentioned, OOS ammo vendors would see this law as "screw California", why bother reading such rediculous laws, just scratch out California from the list where they can ship and it would easier for them.

Darn it.

glockwise2000
10-14-2009, 10:29 PM
There is only one way to defeat this B.S. and that is the courts. Not finding a loophole by any one individual.:cool2:

Don't frown. AB373 is one chance we have.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231609

Now the question is: Will you do your part?

Swatguy10_15
10-15-2009, 2:38 AM
"Feel better" Why? because it works for you and screw anybody else?
One area you and others may be missing is that many, most, or all Internet vender's may just say screw California.
Also if this does not get overturned, it would be a simple addendum to the law to prohibit importing more then 500 rounds of ammo by any person other then a ammo vendor and an 03\COE will not cut that ice.

Thats a good point! Look at the vendors now with lowers..Even with the bullet button concept, most vendors just flat wont deal with california. Cheaper than dirt seems to add more things to theyre list everyday of what they wont ship here..Hellllooo cabelas in reno! woohoo!:D

mtptwo
10-15-2009, 9:48 AM
Looks like Californians will be doing more than just gambling in Nevada! lol...

Yep. We have been for sometime now.

Of course, it is only a mater of time before private importation from other states is used as a basis for a national level law.

Grakken
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Don't frown. AB373 is one chance we have.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231609

Now the question is: Will you do your part?

Why would the blood sucking ticks (read: Politicians) make that bill pass. it would basically overturn the bill they just created no? Why would they do that? I know they are stupid (obviously) but are they that stoooopid? One can only hope I guess.

Esquire
12-22-2009, 3:45 PM
Since the repeal bill comes before the same noxious ilk of politicians who voted FOR AB962, I, too, find it difficult to expect a passage of the repeal. However, I keep the hope and applaud the ongoing efforts.

Even if the repeal were to fail, all is not lost.

I have read the posts about a planned legal challenge to overturn at least the mail order ban portion of AB962. The legal basis for the challenge (that AB962's ban on mail order sale is preempted by a federal statute) looks very solid to me. Case law (similar Maine law affecting cigarettes struck down) is on our side.

Generally speaking, state laws that infringe on interstate commerce face close scrutiny from reviewing courts. Individual States erecting trade barriers is an antithesis to the very core values of the Union. Justice and wisdom will prevail.

JJE
12-22-2009, 4:20 PM
I saw very little concern or action by CA retailers or shooting ranges when AB962 was going through the legislative process. But now that it's passed, I've seen AB373 flyers at the ranges I go to and at a few gun shops. Possibly the people on the retail side in CA have decided that AB962 is more likely to kill their business than to provide them a captive customer base. So I expect that the legislature and governor are going to hear from the retail sector a lot more on AB373.

Still, now that the governor is on record about AB962 being such a great idea (on his signing statement), I am not optimistic about AB373.

SJ78
12-23-2009, 12:42 AM
I think if this bill goes into effect many ranges will lose alot of business .
It already makes me not to excited to go . When you have to jump though
legal hoops just to shoot for fun .

hoffmang
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I took the liberty of posting this 962 Change Summary on my web archive and on the wiki page for AB-962: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon%2C_Ammunition

-Gene