View Full Version : AR-10 Upper Receiver Vise Block

10-14-2009, 1:53 PM
For all you AR-10 builders out there, what are your using for an upper receiver vise block on an AR-10? There is a tool for $53 from Armalite, but for one time use, rather not buy. There lower vise lock for $24 is fine and is good to have when working on rifle for maintenance.

10-14-2009, 2:01 PM
I have a vise block made by DPMS, I use it for my Armalite stuff....If you install rails and what not, for some rails like the Larue AR10 rail you need to take a dremel to the block...

10-14-2009, 2:07 PM
I need something to hold the upper receiver in place while I torque the barrel nut. Not sure the DPMS tool will handle that, but will look.

10-14-2009, 2:15 PM
I need something to hold the upper receiver in place while I torque the barrel nut. Not sure the DPMS tool will handle that, but will look.

- Phil

It will, thats what its for.

I looked and they don't have the one I own on the site anymore. Its a claw/clamp style.

The only thing they have is this...

10-14-2009, 2:33 PM
Hmmm... I have half of what I need, in the form of an AR15 upper receiver holding fixture from Block Worx.

See the part that slides onto the Picatinny rail (the same for AR15 and AR10). But, given the AR10 receiver is longer, the fixture that attaches through the takedown pin holes will not fit.

I just hate to spend $50 on a tool as you describe to use to attach a barrel once, or maybe twice if I ever wear it out.

I have a nice table saw, wonder if I could make the other half of the Block Worx piece with the saw and a router using hardwood...

10-14-2009, 2:36 PM
Where does it say it can only be used once? I used a similar one on an AR-15 upper and I am truly impressed at the amount of pain those things can take.

10-14-2009, 2:39 PM
I meant to say that I personally would be only be using once. I am building a single AR10, and given the barrel life for a 308, doubt I need to use it again for some years after several thousands rounds fired. I know the tool will last virtually forever.

10-14-2009, 2:49 PM
If you shoot a lot, you'll have to change a match .308 barrel every 5-7K rounds. Thats not a whole lot, but compared to the larger calibers its pretty nice. Trust me, you'll be using that tool more than once. $50 bucks is not much if you already have the other tools. Having somebody else install ur barrel gets expensive. I'm sure in the time you own the rifle you are bound to swap a floating handguard or barrel. Its also easy to pawn that kindof stuff here on the forums.

10-14-2009, 3:57 PM
I have the Block Worx and it works great. If you are concerned about tweaking the lower receiver pin holes, you can use a DPMS .308 Panther Claw and some plywood with both the upper and lower in a vise mounted sideways while torquing\tightening the barrel.