PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an AR-10 Purchase

cgsomoza
10-14-2009, 1:20 PM
Fellow Calgunners,

I'm am ready to buy my first AR-10. However, I'm am somewhat familiar with California's laws forbidding so called "assault" rifles. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to clear up for me.

1)Is it better to build one or buy complete? (I know price drastically changes when you build your own, but I'm looking for quality too)
2)Ammo Bros is my place to shop, however they have no complete AR-10's and they recommended buying online and shipping to them. Does anyone know good online dealers for AR-10?
3)Is the Armalite AR-10 on the "ban" list for these type of rifles?

Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

madcount
10-14-2009, 1:26 PM
My experience has shown me that the Armalite lower receiver is banned in CA. The upper, however, is not, and neither are the internal components. I run a Noveske N6 lower with an Armalite lower parts kit (LPK) and an Armalite Super SASS upper. It is a fantastic setup. Very accurate. Cost is pretty high, though.

My 2

dot429
10-14-2009, 1:31 PM
I too run an Armalite upper on the Noveske N6. The Armalite lower is banned in the PRK.

I'm very pleased with my AR-10, I was shooting one-hole groups with it the first time out.

I would build my own, but if you can find one already built, go for it.

ralemzor
10-14-2009, 2:31 PM
You can definitely save a bit of cash building it yourself and the quality will be the same if not better than factory if you take your time and check everything. Check out www.762SASS.com they have pretty much everything you would need to build an AR-10 with the exception of the lower receiver which you would need to find one that is not on the ban list.

technique
10-14-2009, 2:39 PM
Fellow Calgunners,

I'm am ready to buy my first AR-10. However, I'm am somewhat familiar with California's laws forbidding so called "assault" rifles. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to clear up for me.

1)Is it better to build one or buy complete? (I know price drastically changes when you build your own, but I'm looking for quality too)
What ever works for you and you budget. You can do either.
2)Ammo Bros is my place to shop, however they have no complete AR-10's and they recommended buying online and shipping to them. Does anyone know good online dealers for AR-10?
You can check the FS threads here on this site and find one private party, or buy one online and have it shipped to a friendly FFL.
3)Is the Armalite AR-10 on the "ban" list for these type of rifles?
Armalite is banned by name...but several compatible lowers that are NOT banned are available to you...Noveske, Aero, Aircraft Armament, and others..You can have what ever upper that fits those lowers including but not limited to Armalite.

Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

In Bold

Phil3
10-14-2009, 2:51 PM
Check Armalite's prices...they are surprisingly good, lower than some sources selling their parts. - Phil

high_revs
10-16-2009, 1:05 PM
i'd say to OP build. much more fun. not really that much investment in tools putting it together though I myself haven't built an upper from scratch yet. but you can at least by the upper as a whole/complete. just assemble the lower.

gunsmithcats
10-16-2009, 2:32 PM
im pretty much 99% done with my ar-10 build.
Lots of different ways to go about it. First of all it depends on how you want to build it, long range precision platform? Carbine? Etc etc.
Also, theres only threeor so lowers off the top of my head that are good to go in cali. Aero defense, Iron ridge armory, and noveske N6. I personally have an aero defense, and they fit perfect. Finish matches up well too.
Uppers, lots of different places to get one. But it will end up costing if you want a precision upper. magazines, www.armalite.com is having a 5 pack mag sale on 10 rounders, 150 for 5, which is pretty damn cheap for excellent quality mags.
Also, the one aftermarket mod i highly recommend is getting slash's ar-10 buffer, he posts on arfcom. It allows you to use any collapsible stock on an ar-10 with a carbine buffer tube and a ar-10 spring. Helps reliability and feeding too.
Send me a PM if you want more details. I spent a long time assembling the ar-10 and more than happy to help out.

Sicarius
10-16-2009, 6:00 PM
You have to decide if you are set on the Armalite or DPMS design. Both are not interchangeable. Both have their perks and disadvantages and also look at the support(parts availability because DPMS wins that for sure) for each design. DPMS design will run a bit cheaper and the mags are a whole lot cheaper if budget is a consideration. The Armalite platform is still considered to be better but all things considered, I would say that most guns will outshoot the owner any day of the week anyways.
Kevin

jesse3533
10-26-2009, 7:33 PM
I am pretty sure you cannot get an armalite. to go with those parts you will have to go with a hesse lower. I personally have never used one but my ffl said he has known people to have troubles with it. I have a cmmg w/dpms 24'' bull upper and I couldn't be happier with it. I got a hella good deal on the upper too from

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=233105

he is another cal guns guy he shipped my upper for under 800.

five.five-six
10-26-2009, 7:37 PM
You can definitely save a bit of cash building it yourself and the quality will be the same if not better than factory if you take your time and check everything. Check out www.762SASS.com they have pretty much everything you would need to build an AR-10 with the exception of the lower receiver which you would need to find one that is not on the ban list.

that is where i got my aero precison, but I am sure he is out, that would be my first choice for a lower build. try lookin in the ee at arf.com

skkeeter
10-26-2009, 7:54 PM
Just go "BIG" and show us pics when you get one!!!!!!:43:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-641-lwrc-repr-16-carbine-rifle-762-nato.aspx

I've got an Aero lower on an Armalite upper. 7.62sass is great, but they are out of stock on Ca OLL ar-10 lowers. They do have some Armalite uppers in stock right now. http://www.762sass.com/store.php?cid=1&session=97848bb63b984816dfb8f9b5c9f02a81

These guys have the Aero lowers, but your going to pay a premium
http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=603

get yourself a LPK, BB, and a stock, and you've got a complete AR-10.

dawson8r
10-26-2009, 8:08 PM
My AR10 build is an Armalite 20" HBAR on a Noveske N6 lower. Picked up most of the parts from 762sass.com.

AR10-compatible lower receivers you can buy now:

Ironridge Guns
Aero Precision
Noveske
CMMG - their website doesn't show one but I found this: http://www.impactguns.com/store/CMMG-L308A.html#

LMT has a survey on their site for interest in a .308 rifle. Other manufacturers???