PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of converting to featureless. How to pin collapsable stock?

Lone_Gunman
10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey guys. I've been considering going to a featureless build from my BB setup now that Solar Tactical has come out with the grip wraps. I have a magpul MOE stock on a mil-spec buffer tube. Any suggestions on how to pin it? Also for you guys running the ambi safety selector is it easy to install?

-LG

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35184&stc=1&d=1255549673

SuperSet
10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
1. Buy a fixed stock so you can keep or sell your MOE unaltered. I like the VLTORs myself.
2. Ambi safety is a must and easy to install.

Lone_Gunman
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
1. Buy a fixed stock so you can keep or sell your MOE unaltered. I like the VLTORs myself.
2. Ambi safety is a must and easy to install.

I was gonna try and do it with a minimum of additional cost. Kinda on a tight budget. Are there non collapsible stocks that go on a mil-spec carbine buffer tube or will I have to swap out that too?

bronco1500
10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
epoxy.

duraglock
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
You could use some zip ties or a nut and bolt to prevent it from adjusting. The vltor fixed stocks will fit collapsible tubes and come with a pin that fits in the bottom of the tube.

Lone_Gunman
10-14-2009, 12:11 PM
You could use some zip ties or a nut and bolt to prevent it from adjusting. The vltor fixed stocks will fit collapsible tubes and come with a pin that fits in the bottom of the tube.

Ok. I may go with the vltor than and just sell the MOE Thanks for the info.

Josh3239
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Adco does it for like $35. But seriously it isn't that hard.

Mr.Poopypants
10-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Epoxy a wooden dowel the end of the bare buffer tube so that, when the MOE is installed, it called be collapsed. This would allow you to kep the MOE unaltered, as well as allow you to easily reverse the modification by removing the wooden dowel from the end of buffer tube.

WeekendWarrior
10-14-2009, 3:12 PM
WWRTW

dieselpower
10-14-2009, 3:20 PM
Epoxy a wooden dowel the end of the bare buffer tube so that, when the MOE is installed, it called be collapsed. This would allow you to kep the MOE unaltered, as well as allow you to easily reverse the modification by removing the wooden dowel from the end of buffer tube.

What?
Do you mean he should epoxy the dowel inside the adjustment channel...???

Gio
10-14-2009, 3:23 PM
Get a CTR and I will PM you on how to pin it ;) You can pin the MOE too, but I have not really tried my method on it.

I think if you try it my way it will need some kind of glue or something to keep it in place. The nice thing about the CTR is the Friction Lock, that is what holds my pin in place. If any local wants to let me borrow their lower for a few minutes to figure it out I would appreciate it, thanks. ;)

-Gio

MikeR
10-14-2009, 3:43 PM
Im looking to do this too, here is what im thinking.

Get a fat allen head screw/bolt, drill a hole on the bottom of the stock at the little flat part near the angled part _/, screw the allen screw into the stock and into one of the 6 position slots. If you know what i mean, its kind of hard to describe.

Lone_Gunman
10-14-2009, 4:18 PM
The pipe clamp seems like it would be the easies and most low tech solution but where do I put the zip tie? I'm having a hard time visualizing the zip tie use in this application.

DisgruntledReaper
10-14-2009, 4:33 PM
Dude,take a small drill,drill through the stock body and the adjustment channel, tap in a roll pin available from any decent hardware store and VIOLA! it will not collapse and if needed or wanted you just tap the roll pin out and you are good to go again...........just be sure you do not go too low on the channel and go into the buffer tube..but if you can drill straight this wont be a problem....

duraglock
10-14-2009, 4:54 PM
Put the zip tie around the latch so it can not be pressed in to release the tab and move the stock. Use more than one in case one fails.

4thSeal
10-14-2009, 5:08 PM
Hey guys. I've been considering going to a featureless build from my BB setup now that Solar Tactical has come out with the grip wraps. I have a magpul MOE stock on a mil-spec buffer tube. Any suggestions on how to pin it? Also for you guys running the ambi safety selector is it easy to install?

-LG

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35184&stc=1&d=1255549673

with the MOE stock you can pull down on the T Bar and move it, Zip typing the release mech wont do it...