PDA

View Full Version : Examples of how to get involved?

Untamed1972
10-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I appreciated the comments made in the thread this quote was taken from. But I thought it might be good to start a thread that could help some of us who want to help understand exactly what kinds of things need to be done or what opportunities are available so that when we call people or show up to organization meetings or whatever people can have an idea of what they will have to offer based on their own personal circumstance.

So can those in the know....Ed, Paul or whoever give some examples of the kinds of volunteer opportunities that are available and what is needed most....besides money.....not that money is important but I think we all know that money is needed.

So....what CAN we, me, us, them, they, I, him, her or it do to help?

Many thanks
Untamed

Thanks for your candor.

I agree, the past few days (and probably a few to come) will contain much venting of frustrations about the passage of this abomination of a bill. When folks are ready, we'll be here for them. The unhelpful thing we must avoid is directing our anger over being hurt by the legislature and Governor at the people who are fighting every day for us. They are just as frustrated, if not moreso. I can tell you've probably experienced what it is to wake up every day and know that there is no coasting through it; Ed, Paul, Tom, Mike - they have to fight uphill every minute of every day. It's not easy on anyone, and to think they're exempt isn't fair to them as human beings.

I completely understand that it's natural to wish to be left alone, especially since many- like you- go about their business and steer clear of messy politics. While that would be nice, it doesn't tend to work that way. Environmental laws, taxes, corrections... the list goes on and on, but the crimson thread is that we're *in* the process regardless if we want to be or not. With that in mind, we probably aren't very well built to tackle multiple issues concurrently. If 2A isn't your issue, then I encourage you to find one that you're passionate about. If it is, there are plenty of places I'm sure Paul could use your help.

I didn't intend to be ambiguous when I asked you to get involved. For a more personalized repsonse, please call Paul or myself and I'm sure a good fit for your interests, time limitations and skills can not only be identified but is waiting for you right now.

Our time is precious - that's why it's so important that we take it upon ourselves to talk to those leaders who are heading up these various efforts and ask them what they need. Please don't be shy, all; I've met Paul Payne, and I can tell you that he's as genuine and honest a person as there is, and beyond that he's a very personable man as well. I'm confident that he and the MCs will point you in the right direction.

Becoming an NRA/CRPA member is not a costly endeavor; CGN is free. However, and trust me on this, what we do takes money and time. That's the bottom line. I understand that times are tight, but I'd ask you this: what's more important to you- to buy that box of ammo or to support those orgs that will secure our precious rights in these coming years through tireless litigation, lobbying and grassroots culture change? If people really understood how little we give to RKBA in comparison to our expenditures on other things, like coffee... I've said it before, if the active membership here (~11k) donated just $1/mo = $132k/yr; $5/mo = $660k/yr. Imagine what our world would look like.

Don't be discouraged by this bump in the road. We've lived through worse, and we'll live through this. Frankly, I think this issue has galvanized quite a number of gunnies that were on the fence before. If what I have seen over the past few weeks is in fact what I think it is, the antis just pissed off the wrong sleeping giant. We are winning.

wash
10-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Teach someone how to shoot and firearm safety.

Donate.

Volunteer at a gun show.

Get on the phone or fax or email when we need it.

Vote.

Join CRPA and NRA.

M. D. Van Norman
10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I usually have far more money than time, but Iíve given both in this cause Ö and will give more. However, money can buy the time of those who are more effective at influencing actual decisions. Iím not yet convinced that my time has influenced anyone Ö but I know my money will.

Phil3
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
My things to do:

1) Take people shooting. Especially to events you think they may like. Skeet, egg shoots, bowling pins, etc.
2) Volunteer at a gun show.
3) Bumper sticker on car for candidates, CGF.
4) Signs in your lawn for your favorite candidate.
5) Fax and e-mail candidates. In my district, the office is familiar with my name...I have contacted them enough. If a LOT of people do this....
6) E-mail, speak to, with friends, especially those on fence or who are open minded. Be calm armed with lots of factual data. But, some people you really can't reach.
7) Wear non-hostile firearms friendly shirts, caps, jackets and yet present yourself in a way that completely contradicts the preconceived notion of a "gun nut" (don't wear camo, be an upstanding friendly citizen helping others).
8) Volunteer for a candidate. I am not one to call people or go door-to-door, but I will post signs around the city, or do other stuff behind the scenes, depending on what they need me for.
9) Write letters to the newspapers. Almost all of mine have been published.
10) Write e-mails to various TV shows...they might put yours on the air.
11) Contact conservative talk radio and moderate radio, where people on the fence may be swayed.
12) Start a blog and/or respond to other blogs.
13) Brings news stories to attention of other media outlets.
14) Vote.
15) Join organizations that support your beliefs and can go to work on behalf of those beliefs.
16) Respond to TV show blogs, where comments there are often summarized by hosts on the air.
17) Donate money.

In my mind, little can change minds as fast as actually shooting. It may or may not change a vote, but it will put them on our side, and not the side of some anti-gun group yelling in a politician's ear.

Untamed1972
10-14-2009, 1:21 PM
I hear yuh on taking people shooting.....it's just getting harder and harder to do here in SoCal. BLM just closed one of the last open areas in SD county which pretty much leaves only paying for range time or private club ranges.

bigcalidave
10-14-2009, 1:37 PM
This should be a sticky. Brandon (wildhawker), so quick to call people out for not doing much more than donating money, we would like to hear some ideas. Maybe there could be a thread you run with a list of the things you need help for. I saw you did that with the 962 flyers, i'm sure there are a lot of positions people could be a perfect fit for if they knew they were available, required, or even existed. As the outspoken voice of the volunteer movement, let's hear what you need.
962 was a tragic loss, as are all of the issues passed against our rights here. Maybe this one will heat the kettle enough to stir up an even stronger movement. What are the live issues right now? What are the goals of this organization right now?

1923mack
10-14-2009, 1:54 PM
Growth is a difficult period for any company or organization. Calguns is right at the start a a hopefully large growth curve. Like Brandon and others say, it needs a larger group of workers. Local Calgun groups and other measures are needed to manage and focus this growth.

wildhawker
10-14-2009, 2:19 PM
I have a few items that will burn up the remainder of this afternoon, but I will return to this thread and discuss some examples as requested as soon as possible. We're building on the infrastructure generated from the recent SB585/AB962 flyer campaign, where volunteers distributed tens of thousands of informational handouts to Californians from Mexico to Oregon. As soon as a few building blocks are in place (very soon!), we'll be diving into a massive outreach campaign designed to connect those offline gunners and vendors to our community (which is also establishing an offline presence (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=183) to support real-world in the community efforts) as well as raise substantial funds for the Calguns Foundation (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/donate), which is so very critical (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=230676) to the success (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/news/71-saf-calguns-challenge-arbitrary-denial-of-right-to-bear-arms-in-california) of our movement (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/news/70-saf-calguns-foundation-challenges-california-handgun-ban-scheme).

In the meantime, I'll direct your attention here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=211631), here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=170), here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=212471), here (http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1040), here (http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1039), and here (http://www.calnra.com/caspecial/openletter.shtml).

M. D. Van Norman
10-14-2009, 4:15 PM
I fear that the off-line gun owners may be a lost cause.

dwtt
10-14-2009, 4:18 PM
I'll be working an off-road foot race at the beginning of December. If I can get a CGN shirt, I can help advertise from 3:30 AM-7PM with hundreds of captive viewers.:) Do I PM Vick for an official shirt?

pullnshoot25
10-14-2009, 4:26 PM
I would say open carry and be a good ambassador but that is kind of a no no right now :(

Anyone in college has an opportunity to spread some firearm love around. There are LOTS of closet gun enthusiasts, you just have to TALK to them.

For instance, I met a girl today that was on her high schools rifle team. I started a convo with her about volleyball as I handed off my bus to a new driver. I am seriously considering going to her volleyball game (she said I had better go or she will track me down...) and I will try to snag her for our marksmanship club (Maybe a date? Who knows! She is a human bio major just like myself too!)

Another thing I do is to talk about firearms stuff on my cell with friends wherever I am, even when on the bus to school. Talk about the laws with people, tell them your interests, etc. This gives great exposure to lots of people and will certainly open a few doors :)

Bottom line... TALK ABOUT IT!

jinggoyd1967
10-14-2009, 4:46 PM
I fear that the off-line gun owners may be a lost cause.

This might not necessarily true. If we can identify off-line owners we could put together a list and contact them by phone.
I have also posted fliers at gun shops as well not traditional venues like Union Hall bulletin boards. I also try to strike up conversations at my son's soccer practice and games.
In my opinion AB962 was not a total loss, it seems this was the most activism among Californians I have seen for a while.

wildhawker
10-14-2009, 4:48 PM
This might not necessarily true. If we can identify off-line owners we could put together a list and contact them by phone.
I have also posted fliers at gun shops as well not traditional venues like Union Hall bulletin boards. I also try to strike up conversations at my son's soccer practice and games.
In my opinion AB962 was not a total loss, it seems this was the most activism among Californians I have seen for a while.

^ is 110% correct.

tba02
10-14-2009, 4:53 PM
Be a responsible gun owner. Be conscious of others reservations about firearms, acknowledge that fact, and exhibit safe handling protocols.
It is with than you can gain trust and move towards other related conversations.

bigcalidave
10-14-2009, 4:56 PM
I just worry about most hunters I try to talk to. Some are rkba supporters, some really only care about deer season. Trying to get them to call the governor or their assembly person about issues seems hopeless. Even with the loss of their hunting rights it seems like they don't really care.
I will agree that the 962 push was impressive. Every time I have been to a gun store in the last few weeks people were asking about it, talking about it, both among customers and to the staff. One thing I didn't hear unless I mentioned it was a real urgency to call and protest. They all just talked about what would be happening after it passed :( I hope that next time a more organized method of distribution and protest will ALREADY be established. Let's keep the chain up and running, always busy with literature and information.

hamster
10-14-2009, 5:09 PM
Bottom line... TALK ABOUT IT!

I agree. Anyone that knows me well enough knows I like guns. From people at work, church, or old classmates, when they ask me what I did on my weekend I'll occasionally mention I did something gun related. They already know me well enough to know I'm a sane, vanilla, person... so when they find out I like guns they know I'm not a gun-nut like the ones the media likes to portray. That allows for an "oh cool," or an "I've never shot a gun before" and I'll use that opening to try to get them into guns. I've got four people that either had an interest but didn't know where to start or were never interested and I got them on a range date (two were girls)... one of them now owns a 1911 of his own.

mmartin
10-14-2009, 5:39 PM
I just worry about most hunters I try to talk to. Some are rkba supporters, some really only care about deer season. Trying to get them to call the governor or their assembly person about issues seems hopeless. Even with the loss of their hunting rights it seems like they don't really care.
I will agree that the 962 push was impressive. Every time I have been to a gun store in the last few weeks people were asking about it, talking about it, both among customers and to the staff. One thing I didn't hear unless I mentioned it was a real urgency to call and protest. They all just talked about what would be happening after it passed :( I hope that next time a more organized method of distribution and protest will ALREADY be established. Let's keep the chain up and running, always busy with literature and information.

people get motivated when there is pain. the more they are in touch with the pain, the more motivated they are. pain takes lots of forms... increased cost, decreased options, increased hassle... by helping people to really understand the pain that's coming, you motivate them to act. help them to realize and get in touch with their inner OUCH. in a big way. then hand them the flyer and tell them to call. and get their email so you can send them the link to the legislation action page and invite them to join. then send them the link to threads that come up that are related to their interests.
it's called seduction...
between cranking up their OUCH and seducing them in, they can be brought into the world we're already in and become motivated to action.
megan

bodger
10-14-2009, 6:00 PM
I've been a member of this forum for only six months. Prior to joining, I was an NRA member for a long time, and that was the extent of my activism for RTKB.

Belonging to CG has obviously increased my awareness on gun control. Since joining, I have spoken to a many gunnies that don't really know much about what is happening politically nearly every day that can affect their gun rights. Both in a positive and negative way.

In addition to introducing newbies to the world of guns, (which I have done twice this year and both have taken safety courses and purchased handguns)
I think it's important to reach out to existing gunnies that aren't keeping up and lending their voice and vote to the gun rights movement.

I talked to one of my sub-contractors today about AB962. He wasn't aware of it. Lives in Kern County, hunts, has SD handguns, and was appalled at what I told him is happening.

Those are the kind of guys we need to get on the wagon for sure. They're easy to get active.

bodger
10-14-2009, 6:45 PM
Anyone I introduce to shooting, I take to A Place To Shoot up in Saugus.

They usually have a decent supply of ammo, if it's a week day they aren't crowded in the morning, and I find it to be a pretty well run range. Pistol, clay pidgeon, rifle, you can give a newbie the full gamut.

And it's good with someone new to be able to get a good distance away from other shooters at first. Less distraction from the gunfire, which does spook some folks initially. I would never take someone to a busy indoor range. I'm too distracted making sure some idiot isn't sweeping me with his muzzle.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-14-2009, 6:49 PM
I'll be working an off-road foot race at the beginning of December. If I can get a CGN shirt, I can help advertise from 3:30 AM-7PM with hundreds of captive viewers.:) Do I PM Vick for an official shirt?

Yes sir, I'm here (http://gunsr4.us/) to serve:)

100% cotton or 50/50 cotton poly?

White or black shirt?
Something Hi Viz like Safety Green or Blaze Orange?

Sand or prairie Dust shirt?

Calguns logo's on all, some multi-colored others in Black or white screen print or DTG.

Maybe a Navy Blue with yellow design for standout?

PM works for me:thumbsup:

By the way, is this a sponsored race? Do you need or can you use sponsoring?

Vick

Can'thavenuthingood
10-14-2009, 6:56 PM
If anyone has a team for whatever sports you or your little ones participate, perhaps we can do some sort of sponsorship.

Contact me via PM or email Vick at GunsR4.us and we can discuss some sort of arrangement for the team sports apparel sporting the Calguns logo.

We'll have to run it by Kestryll first but I think its doable.

Vick

dwtt
10-14-2009, 9:54 PM
By the way, is this a sponsored race? Do you need or can you use sponsoring?

Vick

I'll go to your web site. The race is sponsored by The North Face, and I'm a volunteer since I am in a running club where one of the organizers is also a member. I don't know if they need sponsorship since they will likely be giving out TNF shirts to volunteers. The running club I'm in is sponsored by Power bar and Nike, so they don't need any other sponsors. Free power bars and discounted Nikes are hard to beat.
Shirts in red and gold may be of interests to former Marines, but it might be hard getting a calguns design that goes with red.

pullnshoot25
10-15-2009, 6:04 AM
I can't afford to take people shooting. It's to hard to find replacement ammo. And even if one takes someone and they like it, as soon as they drive all over town to try and buy a box of ammo for that shiny new gun, their going to lose interest. Hell, I don't shoot anymore. I just buy ammo because I know it's going to be 2x the price in a year. As far as geting people involved, tried that, and it's a pointless endeavor. California is a lost cause. I put an extra $100 at least on my cell bill calling against AB 962, and look what happened. I could of put that money towards more ammo that I'm not going to shoot. Shooting sucks. When a case of 223 could be had for just over $100, it was fun. But when a day outing costs more than a car payment, it's downright abysmal.

5.45x39 solves all your problems!

mmartin
10-15-2009, 9:01 AM
I've been a member of this forum for only six months. Prior to joining, I was an NRA member for a long time, and that was the extent of my activism for RTKB.

Belonging to CG has obviously increased my awareness on gun control. Since joining, I have spoken to a many gunnies that don't really know much about what is happening politically nearly every day that can affect their gun rights. Both in a positive and negative way.

In addition to introducing newbies to the world of guns, (which I have done twice this year and both have taken safety courses and purchased handguns)
I think it's important to reach out to existing gunnies that aren't keeping up and lending their voice and vote to the gun rights movement.

I talked to one of my sub-contractors today about AB962. He wasn't aware of it. Lives in Kern County, hunts, has SD handguns, and was appalled at what I told him is happening.

Those are the kind of guys we need to get on the wagon for sure. They're easy to get active.

high ROI there... that's a good group to be going after.
megan