PDA

View Full Version : ALL U.S. parts AK?

coop44
10-14-2009, 8:18 AM
anyone think it's possible? I think I have managed to track down everything but the trunnions. Price wise it is not that bad so far.

69Mach1
10-14-2009, 8:19 AM
Not yet. the last pieces of the puzzle.....front trunnion, front sight, proper looking gas block, and rear sight assembly.

stuntdummy
10-14-2009, 9:42 AM
Are those parts that hard to manufacture? Seems like there would be a decent market those items.

Chatterbox
10-14-2009, 9:47 AM
Are those parts that hard to manufacture? Seems like there would be a decent market those items.

Not when we can get imports in country for $400/500.

SJgunguy24
10-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Nope not at all. You have a couple thousand hours of CNC time to spare and don't forget you'll need steel and a heat treating place.

drummerdude1188
10-14-2009, 3:26 PM
Seems like there's a thread on this here every week, why so much interest in an 100% American AK? Why not start threads about a 100% made russian AR-15? Why anyone would have interest is a American AK is beyond me, the reason we like AK's is because they are foreign, imported from another land, and there's a history to them. A domestic AK sort of defeats the purpose. You want a domestic AK get a piston AR. Other wise these threads are getting old. Do a search.

Requiem
10-14-2009, 3:39 PM
Seems like there's a thread on this here every week, why so much interest in an 100% American AK? Why not start threads about a 100% made russian AR-15? Why anyone would have interest is a American AK is beyond me, the reason we like AK's is because they are foreign, imported from another land, and there's a history to them. A domestic AK sort of defeats the purpose. You want a domestic AK get a piston AR. Other wise these threads are getting old. Do a search.

some people like [and can afford] supporting their own country's economy.

Lone_Gunman
10-14-2009, 6:24 PM

Jeez, who peed in your Wheaties? People want a variety of things because that's what they want. Oh and BTW piston AR /= AK.

welchy
10-14-2009, 6:55 PM

Most people like AK's because they are simple and super reliable.

drummerdude1188
10-14-2009, 7:06 PM
Sorry I should have said this.......:beatdeadhorse5:

BlackReef
10-14-2009, 7:17 PM

wow - maybe it has something to do with the fact that AK parts are no longer being imported into the U.S.?

:shrug:

drummerdude1188
10-14-2009, 9:09 PM
wow - maybe it has something to do with the fact that AK parts are no longer being imported into the U.S.?

:shrug:

Lol who told you that. There are plenty of kits coming in. They have the muzzle devices welded on to get around the barrel ban. There was around 10,000 AK74 kits that came in country within the last year. Check your facts.

NSR500
10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
You want my answer as to why a 100% American AK?

1. American craftsmanship
2. American Economy
3. No 922r BS
4. We can make an American AK!

Every Country that has a significant presence of AK has made it their own. Russians, Polish, Bulgarian, Chinese, N.Korean, German, Romanian, etc...
I'd like to see a distinctly American AK variant added just because.

JeffM
10-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Been done.

Robinson M96 comes to mind.

coop44
10-15-2009, 9:23 AM
geez, almost sorry I asked, calm down guys. Mostly I asked out of curosity and 922r concerns. if I have to use trunnions and front sight base, so be it.
Probably bolt and carrier too. but nothing else, ought to put me on the good side of 922r.

lomalinda
10-15-2009, 9:40 AM
"Robinson M96 comes to mind."

Can this use AK mags? If not, I wouldn't call it an American-made AK, even if there's a great degree of similarity between the mechanism of action.

NSR500
10-15-2009, 9:42 AM
Been done.

Robinson M96 comes to mind.

Have to disagree with you there. The M96 is more close to a Stoner design than an AK.
If you look at all the other Countries AK variants there is still parts commonality. Even with the Galil, Valmet, etc... some AK parts commonality exists.

stuntdummy
10-15-2009, 10:19 AM
...these threads are getting old. Do a search.

I did a search and found very little. I personally find the subject interesting, and enjoy reading other peoples thoughts on the matter. But since they obviously make you angry, I recommend you avoid threads that mention US made AK's, that way you won't have to waste your time complaining about them.

JeffM
10-16-2009, 12:35 AM
"Robinson M96 comes to mind."

Can this use AK mags? If not, I wouldn't call it an American-made AK, even if there's a great degree of similarity between the mechanism of action.

Yes, the 7.62x39 version did.

And I mention it as more of an overall design - stamped sheet metal, piston operated... and expensive... which is what you get with any US made firearm not mass produced for military contracts. Which is what a 100% US produced AK would amount to.