PDA

View Full Version : Question to SIG 556 owners

BHPFan
10-14-2009, 7:23 AM
Hello:

I am strongly considering buying the SIG 556, but after reading posts in sigforum.com and sigarms556.com, I am not so certain as I've read about: 1) how QC has gone down at SIG,
2) how the rifle is not that accurate,
3) how the materials and accessories used are not worth the price,
4) how rifles of a certain Serial Number have a "lump" affecting performance, 5) how Customer Service is not helping at all and that Customer Service is not giving warranty service to California due to rifle modifications (Bullet Button and pinned folding stock) or that SIG does not make sales to CA.

Do any of you SIG556 owners have any problems with your rifle performance-wise, accesories-wise and Customer Service-wise?

For a while, I've been a supporter of the SIG556, now I'm not so sure.

I guess I should invest my money in another AR rather.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

sd1023x
10-14-2009, 8:12 AM
HAHAAHAH....you should probably ask ullie on sigarms556 forums. You'll notice there are alot of trolls on sigarms556, but ullie addresses them pretty well. They really like FN's and Sigs on that forum.

Its a great rifle, just get a chance to handle it and inspect it before you buy. There are some lemons and you gotta figure the people having problems are going to be most vocal. Getting a sig lemon, is probably on par with the odds of getting AR lemon.

I have a very early sig 556 swiss miss and convinced two others to also purchase at the same time. The early problems were with a canted rail. Although of the 4 rifles we chose from, none had the problem, we were thorough though, putting a level on rail and breaking it down to inspect all four and picking the best. All three have had no problems and with a burris fullfield II 14.5x scope, they all shoot from 1.5-3 inches.

I've never had a problem with my sig so no experience with CS, but I think there are some people getting CS from Sig even though they are in california. And the turn around seems around a week.

tiger222
10-14-2009, 8:45 AM
1) how QC has gone down at SIG,
4) how rifles of a certain Serial Number have a "lump" affecting performance, 5) how Customer Service is not helping at all and that Customer Service is not giving warranty service to California due to rifle modifications (Bullet Button and pinned folding stock) or that SIG does not make sales to CA.

Mine's an early one, 17XX

1: dont know
2: mine is ammo dependant - likes the heavier stuff
3: seems ok to me
4: no lump on mine, swiss internals :)
5: had NO issue sending mine in for service, they were very nice, and quick turn around, fixed my canted rail and tightened up the reciever fit. They knew about and were totally fine with the bullet button.

Just completed mine as a compact DMR with a HK G36K flash hider (with adaptor), Nills PSG style grip (only one in the US afaik) and a Hensoldt military 1.5-6x42 rail mount SIG scope with 223 cam. Will post pic later.

Midian
10-14-2009, 9:48 AM
I've fired one a few times and loved it.

I really liked the significant weight of it as well. It's a sturdy gun, a very nice rifle, no doubt. However they are still pretty expensive in CA. That can turn some folks off.

When I was looking for one an esteemed calgunner recommended usautoweapons.com out of Arizona. They will CA mod the rifle and ship it out for a decent price you can live with.

I was all ready to plunk down the bread for the Sig, when a deal fell into my lap...

I got a Stag 2T for one hell of a lot less. About $600.00 less when all was said and done, so I went with that. But you can't go wrong with a Sig, man.

BHPFan
10-14-2009, 2:20 PM
Someone just posted something related to this topic in the handguns thread that had me bringing my questions:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231417

Black Majik
10-14-2009, 2:40 PM
Someone just posted something related to this topic in the handguns thread that had me bringing my questions:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231417

Hi BHPfan,

Just to clarify, I would purchase a current SIG, however only if I had the opportunity to inspect it. At this point, and as recommended by others on SIGforum, I'd rather have a display model I felt was perfect from defects, thus I would have strong reservations buying anything SIG sight unseen.

As sd1023x said, inspect before purchase.

Flying Sig
10-17-2009, 5:00 PM
I love mine. I have a few AR's and they can't even compare to the Sig. I have 500+ rounds through mine using Wolf to TAP and have NEVER had a FTF or FTE. I also heard about the QC issues so I inspected mine carefully before I bought it. I have had zero issues with it.

I did take off the forward grip and I like it much better as a battle rifle than an entry type carbine. If you get the SWAT model, make sure you swap out the folder for a non folding stock or pin the folder because the rifle is less than 30" with the stock folded.

Do your homework and thoroughly inspect it before you take posession, but other than that, don't even worry about it. This is definately one of the better purchases I have made.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/wpmadden/DSC01395.jpg

Alaric
10-17-2009, 5:46 PM
I love my Sig 556 SWAT. That said, I wish I had waited until the Classic was released and got that instead. The fore-end is just a bit too heavy on the SWAT with all the rails and forward hand grip.

Performance-wise, it's a tack driver. The only FTE problems I had were due to an old mag with bent lips (my fault). I trust my Sig more than any of my AR's and that's the gun I would turn to should the SHTF in any way. I recommend you get one and see for yourself. If you don't care for it, let it go (resale value is high) and pick up another AR or something else.

haiedras
10-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Lol, I understand your concerns. I actually have one of the Sig556 rifles that has a "hump" on the trunion, and some minor, but definitely noticeable carrier wear.

As far as the rest of your concerns:
2. Accuracy: At the end of the day, we ARE talking about a "battle" rifle of sorts. I'm not exactly expecting 2MOA shooting, and for the purposes of punching paper and shooting out to 50-100 meters, I'm comfortable with where the rounds are going.
3. She's definitely heavy compared to my AR, but except for the bare-bones flip-up rear sight that I have, I think she gets the job done.
5. I'll eventually talk to customer service when they come up with a better response to the trunion hump, but until then, it's not like if push comes to shove, I'm not going to be able to hit a man-sized target or the rifle's going to catastrophically fail after a few rounds.

Pricing is definitely a bit high, especially if this is your first rifle that you're considering. It's pretty depressing when you see sig556's going for 1400 in the rest of the US, and you'll be hard-pressed to find anything less than 17-1800.

bondmid003
10-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I've got both but I haven't shot the SIG yet so I can't really make an accurate comparison at this time. My suggestion would be to try and shoot one and visit sigarms556.com. Alot of good info over there

leelaw
10-17-2009, 11:06 PM
1) how QC has gone down at SIG,

1. QC has been going up for the 556 rifles. The original series that came out were plagued by canted rails and poor followup service. It seemed that the rails were fitted by hand, but without much regard for straightness.

2. The rifle is very accurate for a battle rifle.

3. The stock iron sights are a joke, in my opinion. The red dot sights are poorly manufactured by some place in China, it seems, and the forward pistol grip/flashlight is not that great either. Spending the money on a good set of aftermarket iron sights (Aurora Industries, or Samson - the former if you want turret diopter style as true to the original as you can get)

4. I've not paid muh attention to the "lump" issue. I'll let others with more experience comment on that.

5. I've heard of a few Californians who sent in their 556 for warranty or other work and they didn't experience issues from Sig because of the modified magazine catches.

That said, there are several comments I have on the 556 rifles:

Don't use the stock iron sights or optics, or even get a model that charges more to hae them included. Don't get the "classic" if you want that 551 style foregrip - get a real 551 handguard and install it instead. Ditch the collapsible stocks that came with the earlier 556 variants.

The rifle is pretty darn nice, and the trigger is wonderful. It's darn accurate, and the recoil is very well managed with the recoil system captured around the gas piston at the front of the rifle. It's one heck of a fun rifle to shoot, it turns heads almost wherever you go, and it's one of my favorite .223s to take to the range.

http://apt401.com/556sights1.jpg

Nxd9ar15xcrL
10-18-2009, 6:27 AM
To confuse the issue even more, take a look at rob arms XCR series. I love mine and have never heard of the issues you are asking about.

Manic Moran
10-18-2009, 9:54 AM
I like my early-ish 556 (9,800 or so), but I'm only an amateur gun-nut. I don't expect 'tack-driving-accuracy' out of a carbine, that's what proper rifles are for.

What I do have is a rifle which seems a lot more solid than my M4, which has a far sweeter trigger, and which is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. It's a little (OK, a lot) front-heavy, and yes, the backup sights are pretty poor, but they're better than nothing. And yes, the cocking handle does need replacing with one that goes down, not up.

Is it my 'go to' gun? You know, until I get used to my AXR, yes, it is. The SIG just gives me great confidence that it will work. About as much as my FAL, which is saying something.

NTM

MissionMTMan
10-18-2009, 12:06 PM
+1 for the Robinson Arms XCR. I have used a lot of different rifles and the XCR is my favorite. The SIG doesn't fit my geometry very well and is kind of heavy. The XCR is a one peice upper and rail so there will never be any problems like that. A much better rifle. Every gun show I do and when we compare the SIG and XCR side by side, the XCR is always the crowd favorite.

pwhitbeck
10-18-2009, 6:17 PM
I have an early 556 which had the dreaded canted rail issue. Sig took care of it very quickly under warranty. No problem being from California -- although I did just send my upper.

The other issue I had was that, when new, the bolt carrier was a bit sticky which resulted in a FTE every few rounds. I stripped the rifle, cleaned and lubed, and hand-cycled the action several hundred times. Works fine now...

That said, for future purchases I think I'll stay with the AR platform but a gas-piston design. Nothing against the 556 though.

Rocket Man
10-18-2009, 9:24 PM
Hello:

I am strongly considering buying the SIG 556, but after reading posts in sigforum.com and sigarms556.com, I am not so certain as I've read about: 1) how QC has gone down at SIG,

Do any of you SIG556 owners have any problems with your rifle performance-wise, accesories-wise and Customer Service-wise?

For a while, I've been a supporter of the SIG556, now I'm not so sure.

I guess I should invest my money in another AR rather.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Hey BHP, I bought a Kalifornia Kompliant Sig556ER last Aug and I absolutly love it! I've only put 600 through her & never had an issue. The bolt stays very clean & none of the contact issues in other posts. She is more accurate than I with the ACOG I installed & double taps like a dream.

The only complaint is the front grip on the "ER" (stands for ERROR in front grip design) is junk though, it's loose & a couple locking tabs broke off stripping her down, I installed the alum quad rail now and love it, the quad is alittle heavyer but I really don't mind.

I called customer service about the "ER" front grip problems, left a messege as it was after hours, and got a return call the next day & was offered a new "er" (AKA fish gills) front end or they would sell me the alum quad rail at a price I couldn't refuse. Also one of the stock cheepy mags was poorly assembled and woud get stuck in the well, they sent a new one out with my quad & said keep the old one (which I was able to fix). No shipping charges. Great customer service!

I also installed the virt front grip/flash light combo they make & altough alittle big I like it.

Really the only complaint is the fish gills/loosness, glad I missed that when I bought it.

Do I recomend the 556 you bet.... if you can afford it heh heh :D

calico9mm
10-19-2009, 6:31 PM
I'm not a good shooter but I can get it on paper at 100 yds with iron sight so it is accurate (relatively speaking). It's picky when new so use quality ammo at first.

WeekendWarrior
10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
WWRTW

bondmid003
10-20-2009, 6:02 PM
WeekendWarrior, I would highly suggest doing what I did and buy it out of state. The prices on a comparable 556 in CA are 600 more than what I paid for mine out of NC

dodge
04-01-2010, 8:27 PM
1......... it's one of my favorite .223s to take to the range.

http://apt401.com/556sights1.jpg

does anyone know whether the front sight on this sig folds down?

afraid i may of bought a non folding myself & prefer the option of having the sight out of the way :(
guess i'll see when it gets here
fortunately there's a return policy :cool:

tia

ADAM
04-01-2010, 8:47 PM
i do own sig 556, it is one of the second batch shipped to cali i have close to 2500 rounds not one problem it is real accurate with any ammo even junk reloads from some gun shops (no names)

$P-Ritch$
04-01-2010, 8:57 PM

afraid i may of bought a non folding myself & prefer the option of having the sight out of the way :(

tia

That particular shrouded front sight does not fold down but it is easily removed. I know some companies make a replacement folding sight. Samson manufacturing is to only one I can think of at the moment. It's a high quality sight, but it's also at a high quality price. I was putting a samson quad rail on my sig anyways, so I was able to just swap out the front sight with an MBUS.

dodge
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
.......... Samson manufacturing is to only one I can think of at the moment. It's a high quality sight, but it's also at a high quality price. I was putting a samson quad rail on my sig anyways, so I was able to just swap out the front sight with an MBUS.
bummer on them not being able to fold down; it came w/a diopter that might work w/samson, guess i'll give it a check when i get the kit
as i do already own a samson that folds & like the way it mounts

thanks for getting back to me on this
after looking closely @ the images available w/the set in question.....
it appears the front sight i bought doesn't fold either :(

leelaw
04-01-2010, 10:53 PM

tia

The one I have installed is a clone of the 551 sight by Aurora Industries. It -like the original- does not fold down.

gqpenguin
04-01-2010, 11:01 PM
No bolt carrier issues on the older versions. I have 0024XX for sale :)

dodge
04-01-2010, 11:02 PM
The one I have installed is a clone of the 551 sight by Aurora Industries. It -like the original- does not fold down.
great, it's an aurora too
don't imagine it will work w/my samson anyway?
. wasn't even paying attention to the front being solid/non folding

the samson w/trijicon is really cool, but still haven't sighted it in
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/LebelPhoto/sigsauer522forearmcheekrest31310039.jpg

for the sake of the thread & being on topic
my experience has been somewhat limited w/the 556 sig sauers, but they seem to deliver the goods just as any other of your better machined rifles
have been enjoying one of their 522 & have been told the 556 is just as or more reliable

acheron800
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
If you guys are looking for iron sights, wait for MFI to come out with theirs, ya it may not be for another year (hopefully less) MFIs stuff looks legit.

Tritium rear diopter, front hooded with tritium.

Some other cool stuff they have coming out is the 550 replica fixed stock

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/SIG-556-MFI-SIG-Sites-Front-Combo.jpg

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/SIG-556-MFI-Top-Rail-Compare.jpg

thetaxman
04-02-2010, 6:46 AM
All mine work flawlessly. Yes there have been some issues, but Ullie at ww.sigarms556.com will set you aside. If I could, I would use a 556 everyday. I have one that is on 14,000 rounds and it puts the love on the target like day 1.

Check a used purchase out carefully (like any firearm) and if you want to try one then just ask someone here or on sigarms and they will be glad to let you shoot it.

sd1023x
04-02-2010, 7:40 AM
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/mi556ffs.gif

I run this and troy flips on my ER.

I would recommend MFI, but they don't like to answer emails and their production schedules are confusing to say the least.

If you want parts now, probably Colorado gun sales is a good bet. https://www.cogunsales.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/4bf11c1e03b155068144f445e015dd96.jpg

Helps you preserve the 'classic' swiss look of your 556 classic, but for their prices and the fact I have an ER, I went with sights that are comfortable for me and I prefer the AR height sights.

hikari
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I bought mine in the first month or two when they came out.
And it is my goto gun for a long time.

It is accurate.
It does like heaver ammo.

http://lightofpower.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=490