PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help with my M1A.

badreligion
10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Looking for a local shop that sells Smith Enterprises Navy/Coast Guard Muzzle Break that has them on hand.

Also looking for a local gunsmith to glass/steel bed a McMillian M3A stock.

RolinThundr
10-13-2009, 10:52 PM
A Flash Hider on a M1A would make it an AW. What you want is a Muzzle Break. If you had the M1A before the '89 AW Ban you may be able to replace a FH, but AFAIK you cannot put a FH on any post '89 acquired M1A.

CHS
10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
That is a really specific item.

I doubt you'll find it online. Just call up Smith and order one directly.

Barney Gumble
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant brake because they SEI doesn't make a Navy Flash Hider to my knowledge.

reidnez
10-13-2009, 11:16 PM
A Flash Hider on a M1A would make it an AW. What you want is a Muzzle Break. If you had the M1A before the '89 AW Ban you may be able to replace a FH, but AFAIK you cannot put a FH on any post '89 acquired M1A.

Sure you can...but you will need to have a magazine lock in place beforehand. And IMO that's hardly worth the sacrifice just for a muzzle device.

Sorry I can't answer the original question, I'm sure some of the M1A gurus will chime in soon.

Sumo99
10-14-2009, 7:59 AM
I'm not sure about in Simi, but Martin B. Retting in Culver City has them in stock (or they did last week). I think they were going for $135.
If you don't mind buying on-line, nokick.com has them for $119.95.

akjunkie
10-14-2009, 8:11 AM

I purchased my M1A in California in Dec 1999.
Came with Flash Hider but no bayo lug.

(my M1A is a registered AW in Kommiefornia)

after 9/14/2004 i ordered another FH w/ a Bayo Lug.

ocabj
10-14-2009, 8:13 AM

2000, not 1989, and you would have had to register it with the State of CA before 01/01/2001 as an "Assault Weapon".

badreligion
10-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys.

My M1A came with the ineffective muzzle break from Springfield. It does not have a flash supressor like it should. I wanted to change it out for an effective one sence like I said we can't have proper flash suppressors.

I was able to make it to Martin B. Rettings over in Culver City today and picked one up for $125 +tax. I can't believe I haven't been in that store before but I will be back. To little time to really look at everything in the store. Thanks Sumo for the heads up.

Now to find a Gunsmith in SoCal who can glass/steel bed the stock for me, I like supporting local buinesses for many things.

I wish I would have kept my first M1A so that I could have registered it as an AW but bills came first. Could do a Sage build with it. Hopefully soon.

I did keep half the mags though. So I am set as far as that goes.

autodex
10-15-2009, 8:22 AM
As a reference they sell the USCG muzzle break online at Brownells

jrr
10-15-2009, 9:21 AM
Yeah, Brownells does carry it. It is definitely NOT a flash hider, btw. And if you have a C&R Brownells gives you a dealer discount. I got mine from Brownells that way cheaper than Smith sells it!
I have the brake you are talking about, and it is very effective. I have it installed on a standard length barrel. Recoil is very mild, a solid push as opposed to a hard hit like my .308 bolt gun. Feels like shooting with a Past Recoil shield on. It also looks pretty cool ;)
Noise isn't noticeably greater. However if you are standing off to the side it is pretty harsh, but I believe that is common to most breaks.