PDA

View Full Version : AB962 great for ammo sales-temporarily

Purple K
10-13-2009, 7:28 PM
The mad rush to buy pistol ammo has started. The shelves are bare at Bass Pro - Manteca

M.45
10-13-2009, 7:28 PM
Ugh.

Bruce
10-13-2009, 7:32 PM
The mad rush to buy pistol ammo has started. The shelves are bare at Bass Pro - Manteca

They're bare in Rancho Cucamonga, and Las Vegas too. But then again, they were bare of handgun ammo before 962 was even voted on! ;)

CalNRA
10-13-2009, 7:35 PM
that's known as the average day in the Bay Area. :)

Sinestr
10-13-2009, 8:24 PM
They always seem to be empty when I'm three.

Gio
10-13-2009, 8:27 PM
Nothing new, what would be news would be even higher price gouging which may be happening. This is why for a long time I read up in the Ammo and Reloading Section and then started reloading. Time to save some pennies and get in with a few friends and start a reloading group ;)

-Gio

bodger
10-13-2009, 9:01 PM
Wonder what the prices are like in Canada.

sakiguns
10-13-2009, 9:52 PM
So Feb 2010 comes around and the bill is enforced. No ammo sales w/o registering buyers' information. Do you guys think Wal-mart/Bass Pro Shop/Sporting good stores will really stop selling ammo because of this bill? It does mean one extra step they need to take - which is to register whomever is buying ammo. Any chance once the hysteria clears and people and businesses accept the bill for what it is, ammo sales goes back to 'business as usual'? Granted no more internet sales of ammo.. but I wonder how much face to face sales of ammo will be affected. I would imagine supply and demand to even out a bit at that time.

joemama
10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
So Feb 2010 comes around and the bill is enforced. No ammo sales w/o registering buyers' information. Do you guys think Wal-mart/Bass Pro Shop/Sporting good stores will really stop selling ammo because of this bill? It does mean one extra step they need to take - which is to register whomever is buying ammo. Any chance once the hysteria clears and people and businesses accept the bill for what it is, ammo sales goes back to 'business as usual'? Granted no more internet sales of ammo.. but I wonder how much face to face sales of ammo will be affected. I would imagine supply and demand to even out a bit at that time.

I think its Feb 2011 so we got a year.

TheBundo
10-14-2009, 1:24 AM
So when does it start, Feb 2010, or 2011? I thought it was summer 2010? I've been gone too long, getting involved in a new phone, which apparently they can use to listen in on me, even if it's off (unless I remove the battery). Oh well, the end is coming, the Good Book says..........

kap
10-14-2009, 8:11 AM
Feb 2011 is the start of enforcement.

boxbro
10-14-2009, 8:26 AM
Feb 2011 is the start of enforcement.

Criminals will have plenty of time to spread the news about the law so that they can stock up before it goes into effect, or before they have to start buying out of state, or before they have a friend with a clean record buy it.
It's truly amazing how ineffective this law will be, that is if it ever sees the light of day.

Regulus
10-14-2009, 8:31 AM
I'm convinced Sacramento is counting on panic buying for the next year and a half (and beyond). Regardless if AB 962 is upheld or not, they are anxiously awaiting the increases in tax revenue from ammunition sales.

If upheld, the state will also benefit from increased taxes from ammunition purchased online and shipped here from out of state, which they were not getting before.

If not, they will be greatful for what they can get out of us until it is removed.

wash
10-14-2009, 8:47 AM
Prices will go up because there will be no competition from mail order.

There is no way around that unless you get an FFL+COE or go out of state to buy.

kapache
10-14-2009, 9:02 AM
If I go out of State to purchase ammo is that legal or illegal when the ammo ban bill takes place?

I'm trying to find a work around on this issue, otherwise I won't have a choice but to move to Texas.

Thanks.

SuperSet
10-14-2009, 9:19 AM
Give it some time before you consider moving. We're going to defeat this thing in court before it goes into effect.

Nate74
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Give it some time before you consider moving. We're going to defeat this thing in court before it goes into effect.

If I could find work in AZ, all you'd see is my GMC loaded up with my guns and a cooler...

soundwave
10-14-2009, 1:14 PM
Reload.

FeuerFrei
10-14-2009, 1:30 PM
I wonder how many FFL dealers silently sat on their hands to allow the government to eliminate their competition with AB962?
I know my FFL guys were against it.
Just wondering.
:shrug:

Choptop
10-14-2009, 4:18 PM

it wont slow demand at all. It didnt dent demand from 1968-1982.

Choptop
10-14-2009, 4:20 PM
If I go out of State to purchase ammo is that legal or illegal when the ammo ban bill takes place?

its legal, but dont.

All that would do is put CA gun related business out of business.

I'm trying to find a work around on this issue, otherwise I won't have a choice but to move to Texas.

Thanks.

buy your ammo in state. Give your info. Its useless to law enforcement or government agencies.

again, you had to give your info from 1968-1982 to buy ammo.

rklute
10-15-2009, 9:25 AM
its legal, but dont.

All that would do is put CA gun related business out of business.

buy your ammo in state. Give your info. Its useless to law enforcement or government agencies.

again, you had to give your info from 1968-1982 to buy ammo.

Your assuming I can buy my ammo in state. I shoot CAS and my hunting rifles are either real turn of the last century or 19th century replicas. Think .30-40, .44-40, .45-70, .303 British.

My local gun shops would get my business if they didn't try to charge 3 to 5 time the mail order rate.

eighteenninetytwo
10-15-2009, 9:31 AM
zGood point. My local gun store in bay area charges over a dollar a round for .303 british. it's never cheap now but I can get greatly cheaper elsewhere

Purple K
10-15-2009, 9:44 AM
Those vendors that continue to sell ammo. in the PRK will have to raise prices to cover the costs of "Live Scan" fingerprint equipment, employee training, record keeping and remodelling to keep us away from the ammo. Many will just stop selling ammo. rather than jump thru hoops. And that's Leno's plan.

Choptop
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Your assuming I can buy my ammo in state. I shoot CAS and my hunting rifles are either real turn of the last century or 19th century replicas. Think .30-40, .44-40, .45-70, .303 British.

My local gun shops would get my business if they didn't try to charge 3 to 5 time the mail order rate.

Rifle ammo is not covered by AB962

Choptop
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Those vendors that continue to sell ammo. in the PRK will have to raise prices to cover the costs of "Live Scan" fingerprint equipment, employee training, record keeping and remodelling to keep us away from the ammo. Many will just stop selling ammo. rather than jump thru hoops. And that's Leno's plan.

there is no requirement in AB962 for "Live Scan" technology. In fact it states that the thumbprint be placed on a form. Thats it. No requirement to submit that thumbprint to anyone/anywhere. Just that it be taken in conjunction with the info written on the form and that those forms be made available upon request for inspection.

rtlltj
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Luckily there's about 5 walmart in 30 min driving distance from Reno that I'm having my wife check.

socalgunrunner
10-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Exactly what he said. Only the sale of handgun ammunition is effected by AB 962.

rklute
10-15-2009, 12:43 PM

That's true. I guess I generalized a bit too much. Still, .38-40, .44-40, etc. in any loading, particularly Cowboy loads are impossible to find locally. I know of only one place that deals in Black Powder and that is the 'substitute' stuff.

weezil_boi
10-16-2009, 9:31 AM

Walmart = YES, no question they will stop
Basspro = No, they would be hated for it... afterall, they dont sell soccerballs do they?
Sporting goods stores = Many will stop , yes. At least stop selling "pistol" ammo

If they have to deal with the added burden of recording and maintaining records in a similar fashion to firearms sales and transfers, but for a $20 box of ammo... Well, think about how long it takes to do that crap.

gazzavc
10-16-2009, 9:54 AM
zGood point. My local gun store in bay area charges over a dollar a round for .303 british. it's never cheap now but I can get greatly cheaper elsewhere

.303 Is one of my main calibers and like most of the .303 shooters we have seen the surplus market completely dry up over the last few years.
The best stuff on the market is probably the century arms Hotshot brand, but as it's from out of state at Century Arms, I expect that supply will be cut off sooner than later.

Don't bother with the Paki POF surplus, it's utter rubbish.

Gary