PDA

View Full Version : I inherited 3 m1 carbines

zach
10-13-2009, 8:02 PM
1 looks newer and is a Winchester
2 look old and they are an IBM and Underwood

So, anyone know how much they are worth. Someone told me different companies are more valuable.

Winchester is in the best condition and has a swivel safety and 300 yard adjustable sight
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/zachstu/SDC10139.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/zachstu/SDC10140.jpg

IBM has a wooden forend and a pushbutton safety with 300yard adjustable sights

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/zachstu/SDC10142.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/zachstu/SDC10143.jpg

Underwood has a synthetic stock on, swivel safty, adjustable sights. They all have bayonet lugs
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/zachstu/SDC10145.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/zachstu/SDC10146.jpg

Saigon1965
10-13-2009, 8:04 PM
You'll need to post pics then break down of all the parts - The guys here will be able to help -

paladin4415
10-13-2009, 8:05 PM
We are going to need more info on each one. Pics would help as well.

reidnez
10-13-2009, 8:05 PM
I would post this in the Curios & Relics forum, you'll get more info there.

Value will depend on serial number range, condition, matching numbers, etc.

dwh100
10-13-2009, 8:14 PM
Do a little homework!
Here's a start:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1Carbine.htm

Depending on parts original or re-arsenaled, condition, and year they could range from ~$500-$3000

Look on the barrel just below the front sight and you should see the year of the barrel manufacture. If other parts are all matching in make and year, you could have some winners on your hands. Either way, they are really super fun rifles to shoot!

Enjoy your homework!

Ronco
10-13-2009, 8:17 PM
Check out Scott Duff's site: http://www.scott-duff.com/
Look on the left side for the Site Index. Go to Modern Longarms then choose M1 Carbines. Browsing this site will give you something to compare to. This is just for a loose comparison. I'm sure some knowledgeable calgunners will chime in.

Josh3239
10-13-2009, 8:33 PM
Generally Winchestors are worth the most, followed by IBM and then Underwood.

Mason McDuffie
10-13-2009, 8:36 PM
Such a great lil rifle.

mls343
10-13-2009, 8:48 PM
Rockola's are pretty sought after as well as they are the least produced of all the manufacturers.

Youe little Winchester, if all matching and original in good/excellent condition is a nice find too.

Bottom line: All of them are good to go! Enjoy!

Please show pictures!

Cheers!

Fate
10-13-2009, 9:19 PM
They're worth between $200 (parts rifle/bad bore/rebuild/import marked) and $2500+ depending on what you've got. ;) Pics and more details will help.

X-NewYawker
10-13-2009, 9:33 PM
M1 Carbines? Clearly they are worthless because they are NOT ARs.

Just kidding!
great little guns! Buy a boatload of ammo right now if you intend to shoot one of them in the future.

zach
10-13-2009, 9:45 PM
ill post pics tomarrow and i have a few thousand rounds of ammo so ill be set.

zach
10-14-2009, 8:53 AM
new pics added

slowjonn
10-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Nice carbines. All of your carbines are either arsenal reworks and/ or mix-masters, meaning parts have been added that are not correct for the mfg. That could be either other USGI parts or commercial parts. They will not command prices that correct/ collector carbines would. Based on the pictures, the prices you could expect would be anywhere from $500-1000.

Can you give more detailed parts markings and partial serial numbers? That would help to give a more accurate value.

5hundo
10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
When you take pictures again, put your camera to "Macro" mode. The dial on your camera should have an icon with a flower on it, which is the one you want. The pictures will be much more clear so that we can see the numbers, stamps and other parts...

After you do that, you'll want to post pictures of each rifle in the C&R section. There's a lot of knowledge over there. If it were me, I'd start a topic, and post pics of just rifle #1. Then, post a second reply and say "Here are some pics of rifle #2. And then another one for rifle #3.

The reason why is that sometimes the barrels don't match the recievers or the other parts don't match the manufacturer, etc. For example, I've got a GM Inland receiver, with an Underwood barrel. It's just easier to distinguish between the rifles if you are looking at one at a time...

akjunkie
10-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Nice carbines. All of your carbines are either arsenal reworks and/ or mix-masters, meaning parts have been added that are not correct for the mfg. That could be either other USGI parts or commercial parts. They will not command prices that correct/ collector carbines would. Based on the pictures, the prices you could expect would be anywhere from $500-1000.

Can you give more detailed parts markings and partial serial numbers? That would help to give a more accurate value.

It's my understanding that ALL M1 carbines off the assembly line were Mix Masters.

Any "all matching" carbines were done thru private ownership.

slowjonn
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
^^ Not really sure what you mean. There were subcontractors who furnished parts to the nine (ten if you count IP) main contractors. These parts are all coded. There are several books that outline what parts and codes would be correct for a given Carbine.

The mixmasters came about either through battle field repair or during armory overhaul.

For example, when a new Inland rolled off the assembly line, it would have Inland coded parts. It would not have a coded part from one of the other main MFGs (say Rockola). There was some exceptions to this rule though.

Milsurp Collector
10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
^^ Not really sure what you mean. There were subcontractors who furnished parts to the nine (ten if you count IP) main contractors. These parts are all coded. There are several books that outline what parts and codes would be correct for a given Carbine.

The mixmasters came about either through battle field repair or during armory overhaul.

For example, when a new Inland rolled off the assembly line, it would have Inland coded parts. It would not have a coded part from one of the other main MFGs (say Rockola). There was some exceptions to this rule though.

That's correct.

Here's what the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) sells them for:

http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm

(definitions of Rack Grade and Service Grade on the page linked above)
Winchester -- Rack Grade $575, Service Grade $675
IBM -- Rack Grade $495, Service Grade $575
Underwood -- Rack Grade $469, Service Grade $565

CMP prices are for reference. Gun shows, gun stores, Internet dealers, and private sellers often ask more, even if the carbines aren't as nice as a CMP Service Grade.

If the inherited carbines do not have import marks they probably came through the CMP's predecessor, the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM). In the early 1960's the DCM sold M1 Carbines to NRA members for $17.50 + $2.50 shipping and handling. My dad got one that he still has.

campperrykid
10-14-2009, 2:33 PM
Some info on M1 Carbine importation from the 1960's through the 1990's. Many USGI M1 Carbines returned to the US by commercial (Non CMP/DCM ) channels:
www.bavarianm1carbines.com/imports.html

Check out the April 1965 prices as advertised in the American Rifleman:

$59.95

slowjonn
10-14-2009, 4:07 PM
The prices I listed were just a rough guestimate based on what info the OP provided. In the world of m1 carbines, there is so many factors involved in what the price would/ should be. I have paid as little as $375 for a mixmaster shooter to around $1500 for a verified correct/ non returned-to-original Rockola.

Thanks Milsurp Collector for mentioning import marked carbines. I forgot about those.

Solidsnake87
10-14-2009, 4:11 PM
Winchesters are the most valuable and rare from what I have seen.

Milsurp Collector
10-14-2009, 4:28 PM
Winchesters are the most valuable and rare from what I have seen.

Actually, Winchester was the second-highest producer of M1 Carbines:

M1 Carbine Production

Inland Manufacturing Division, G.M.C......... 2,632,097 (43.0%)
Winchester Repeating Arms Co................ 828,059 (13.5%)
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher Co........................ 545,616 (8.9%)
Saginaw Steering Gear Div., G.M.C.............. 517,212 (8.5%)
National Postal Meter Co........................... 413,017 (6.8%)
Quality Hardware & Machine Co.................. 359,666 (5.9%)
International Business Machines Corp (IBM).. 346,500 (5.7%)
Standard Products Co.............................. 247,160 (4.0%)
Rock-Ola Co.......................................... 228,500 (3.7%)
---------
Total: ............................................... 6,221,220

But, Winchesters usually sell for a little more, just because of the name. All other things being equal, Irwin-Pedersen, Rock-Ola, and Winchester usually bring higher prices.

packnrat
10-14-2009, 6:20 PM
They are all just junk, send them to me for proper despsol.

He - he..... You are one lucky------- great haul.
Get these two books
WAR BABY
WAR BABY COMES HOME
both books are a must have if you have any m1 carbines.