PDA

View Full Version : Flying to CA with Handgun?

vanderbilt
10-13-2009, 1:48 PM
It looks like I'll be flying to the Bay Area (I live on the East Coast) for work in a few weeks, and, as usual, I'd like to bring my handgun with me (just to keep in the hotel room, or in case i get some free time to go to a range). It seems that new CA residents have 60 days to register their firearms, but no mention is made of simple visitors. Can anyone refer me to rules specific to visitors travelling with firearms? Or do the same rules apply (i.e., no concealed carry, must be locked while in transport, etc.)? I just don't want to get picked up for possession of an unregistered firearm...

wildhawker
10-13-2009, 1:52 PM
It would be helpful if you described the firearm and capacity before going further.

vanderbilt
10-13-2009, 1:54 PM
Kimber Custom II .45 w/night sights - 8-round magazines stocked with standard WWB 230 grain FMJ ammo. I believe this is legal in California?

oldrifle
10-13-2009, 2:41 PM
Kimber Custom II .45 w/night sights - 8-round magazines stocked with standard WWB 230 grain FMJ ammo. I believe this is legal in California?

Yes, that's legal here. I don't think you can fly with ammunition though. You have to buy it here. Good luck finding any right now!! I'll sell you some. it's still legal.

wildhawker
10-13-2009, 2:46 PM
Yes, that's legal here. I don't think you can fly with ammunition though. You have to buy it here. Good luck finding any right now!! I'll sell you some. it's still legal.

You can fly with a limited amount of ammo in your checked luggage. Check w/ the airline (typically in a FAQ on their website) and see TSA.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Lyte-
10-13-2009, 2:46 PM
you can fly with ammunition as long as its in the factory cases/ box and not loose (weight restrictions are based on airline policy) and its not in your carry on luggage

Glock22Fan
10-13-2009, 2:50 PM
FAQ for visitors to California (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/faq.html#f235)

Ding126
10-13-2009, 2:54 PM
Pistol unloaded in locked case ( check in luggage )
Ammunition can ship in plastic, card board box etc. Just needs to be seperate from pistol case but can be in same luggage.

I would check with the airline to verify their policy as far as how much ammo you can put in your luggage ( ie US Airways limits 11lbs per customer )

Just declare the pistol at the ticket counter...fill out form and they may ask you to accompany your bag until it goes through the xray machine. TSA may or may not want to open luggae to inspect the pistol and your ammo too confirm pistol is UL and ammo is not lose in a box but still in factory container within a shipping box /case.

I shipped dozens of dozens of ammo in the factory box with in the factory card board shipping box..I have also shipped 25-30 lbs at a time..but don't tell the airline on me.

Good Luck and welcome to Kalifornia

bwiese
10-13-2009, 2:59 PM
1. Ordinary handguns can be brought to CA for visits, without paperwork/reg.
2. Don't bring in hicap magazines (those holding over 10rds).
3. Don't have a threaded bbl on your semiauto pistol (that makes it an AW).
4. Don't CCW or conduct your transport such that it'd be regarded as CCW; since the gun is not DROSed (reg'd) to you in CA, 1st time CCW bust likely a felony.
5. Transport locked/unloaded. Trunk is generally considered a locked container, though watch out for pass-thru rear seats with access buttons on the dashboard.

vanderbilt
10-14-2009, 5:10 AM
Thanks!

Silverback
10-14-2009, 9:06 AM
1. Ordinary handguns can be brought to CA for visits, without paperwork/reg.
2. Don't bring in hicap magazines (those holding over 10rds).
3. Don't have a threaded bbl on your semiauto pistol (that makes it an AW).
4. Don't CCW or conduct your transport such that it'd be regarded as CCW; since the gun is not DROSed (reg'd) to you in CA, 1st time CCW bust likely a felony.
5. Transport locked/unloaded. Trunk is generally considered a locked container, though watch out for pass-thru rear seats with access buttons on the dashboard.

Also keep in mind that each terminal may do somethings a little different. I have flown out of Sacramento International with ammo in a plastic box. Dallas/FW recently told me "not allowed".

I have also flown out of Sac without the gun box being locked, only a cable lock thru the mag chamber. Dallas/FW said "not allowed".

My point is be prepared to do the max for security purposes. There are differences between locations and interpretations.

halifax
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Good info here. Click on the video link.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/