PDA

View Full Version : looking for a rifle in 22 hornet what are the options

nlpro
10-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Well my dad was cleaning up his reloading room and found 2 50 cal ammo cases full of old military surplus 22 hornet ammo. He has no gun in 22 hornet and does not want one so he said i could have the ammo :jump:. Well i have nothing chambered in 22 hornet either so now im looking for a rifle in 22 hornet.

The only ones i have seen are a browning a bolt $660 ,cz 527 American $620 and a ruger m77 $580. i also saw a savage model 40 but i don't really want a single shot. Which of those is the best for the money they are all with in 100 dollar of each other in price.

if anyone knows of other manufactures that make 22 hornet rifles im open to more otpions those are merely the ones i have seen locally for sale. I just want a fun accurate range and varmint gun.

dot429
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Browning A Bolts are some of the finest factory rifles available. For my money they are the best money can buy other than custom rifles. Every A Bolt that I own and have shot have been sub MOA. I've got them in 20 and 30 calibers and they are fantastic. It's too bad that Browning is making that funky little X Bolt and letting the A Bolt fall by the wayside. Get one while you can!

Best,

Michael

Bug Splat
10-13-2009, 12:34 PM
You sure you want one? 22 hornet is kinda a dead round these days. The last time I saw 22H ammo on the shelf was back in 99. Performance wise its nothing to get excited about. 223 is cheaper, hits harder and is more accurate so you might as well make the step up to 223 if you want to kill varmints and plunk.

not sure of any rifles today still chambered in 22h. Good luck finding one as well as ammo for it.

duc748bip
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I like that rational.. "have ammo.. need rifle" :D Like I grab a bunch of Hi-cap mag before the ban and are now just trying to buy all the pistols for them. Seriously .22 Hornet hits harder then .22 Mag. But is alot quiter than .223.

nlpro
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
well i can reload and i have about 3500 rounds for it now thanks to good old dad .

ill take any excuse to get a new gun lol:D

Bug Splat
10-13-2009, 1:14 PM
3500 rounds you say? I could see getting a new gun for that. For some reason I was thinking sub 1000 rounds. Not sure why but I did.

If it were me I think I would go with a revolver instead.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=86&category=Revolver

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/22H.jpg

nlpro
10-13-2009, 1:25 PM
3500 rounds you say? I could see getting a new gun for that. For some reason I was thinking sub 1000 rounds. Not sure why but I did.

If it were me I think I would go with a revolver instead.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=86&category=Revolver

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/22H.jpg

dang that is a cool revolver

CHS
10-13-2009, 2:56 PM
Get a TC Contender or Encore with two barrels and the pistol/rifle stock get-up.

Sub-1000$, and you'll get two guns for the price of one. One handgun, one rifle.

And when you run out of .22 hornet, just get some new barrels in a different chambering. Or buy more ammo. Either way is a win! :)

22popnsplat
10-13-2009, 3:35 PM
I am a hornet fan , My first hornet was on the encore platform and the accuracy was excellent . With the load it liked it would shoot consitant 5/8 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards didnt matter weather the barrel was hot,cold,dirty or clean every shot counted in those groups. best group was a .283
I had a contender pistol in 22h that shot excellent also but i sold that one and have since replaced it but have not shot the new one , I have savage model 40 but have not found the magic load for it yet. I also have a encore barrel in 22 k hornet that is a sweet shooter .
The hornet prior to wwII used .223 bullets and the current ones use a .224 , If the ammo was made prior to WWII I cannot say how it would shoot out of a bore designed for the .224 bullets .
On the subject of accuracy I belive the reputation of spotty accuracy is a result of the guns it came in and the poor quality bullets often loaded for it . the nosler 40 grain and and the Hornady v-max booth have worked well for me.
I have a Freind with several of the cz rifles in 22h and they are excellent shooters and i seem to remember being told they have a tight bore that would be better if the the ammo is .223

nlpro
10-13-2009, 3:47 PM
ill reconsider single shots the encore is pretty nice i have been researching the ammo online and it appears to be late 50's early 60 manufacture for the air force survival rifles.

00BuckShot
10-13-2009, 4:11 PM
I have a 527 carbine that I love to shoot. It's a 223 but I almost got the 22H just for the cool factor. It's a great rifle. I love the set trigger. IMO that you can't go wrong with either....I'd get another CZ in a heartbeat though.

B Strong
10-13-2009, 4:24 PM
I vote Ruger M77/22 Hornet:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9025/ruger22hornet.jpg

I free floated the barrel, glass bedded the action along with glassing in the recoil lug (no big recoil with the Hornet to damage the stock) and added the Volquartsen sear.

Using 35 grain V-Max handloads, it's very accurate.

Mosby
10-13-2009, 4:41 PM
I realize you mentioned not particularly interested in single shots, but I have a New England Firearm which is a pretty sweet rifle and you can swap out barrels. As someone else stated they are pretty quiet, low recoil and with the correct shot placement will get the job done and put meat on the table. For what it is worth, I have a friend with a Browning A-Bolt chambered for .22 Hornet and it is a tack driver.

Dang, now I have to research the Air Force Survival Rifles chambered for .22 Hornet....

qaz987
10-13-2009, 4:49 PM
Cool! A T/C in .22 Hornet. Every time time I read their caliber charts I start to drool like a fool. :D

nlpro
10-13-2009, 5:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Aircrew_Survival_Weapon

apparently my dad knew a guy that was in ordinance disposal with the air force and they were told to dispose of a lot of 38 special and 22 hornet and they took it home lol . i have shot some of the 38specail it shoots good lol

m1-carb
02-18-2010, 6:09 PM
I have a Savage Sporter Hornet .22 cal for sale.

X-NewYawker
02-18-2010, 6:12 PM
I had a *****ing Silhouette Contender pistol in 22H that would shoot flat as a teen's *** out to 100 yards (then drop like a brick)

Riflewise: Get yourself a Ruger NUMBER ONE single shot in .22 Hornet and travel back to the days when people couldn't afford a lot of ammo -- Oh, wait, those days are back again...

swerv512
02-18-2010, 6:48 PM
i might have missed it above, but doesnt SAVAGE make a rifle in 22Hornet...

B Strong
02-18-2010, 6:52 PM
I had a *****ing Silhouette Contender pistol in 22H that would shoot flat as a teen's *** out to 100 yards (then drop like a brick)

Riflewise: Get yourself a Ruger NUMBER ONE single shot in .22 Hornet and travel back to the days when people couldn't afford a lot of ammo -- Oh, wait, those days are back again...

LOL! I think they made the #3 in the Hornet, but I don't think the #1 is available chambered in the Hornet.