PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign...a grassroots organization?

striker3
10-13-2009, 8:57 AM
In the Brady Campaigns response to AB962, something really struck me:

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies.

What I wanted to ask is, who has ever met an actual member of the Brady Campaign? I have never actually met one myself. I have met people who agreed with them, but never met someone who claimed to be a member of the organization. On the other hand, I have meet literally thousands of everyday people who claim membership in the NRA. So which one is truly grassroots?

I know, I know, claiming exaggeration and lies from the Brady Campaign is not that striking of a revelation to those here, but I wonder, how many people who do not stay abreast of politics realize the difference?

10-13-2009, 9:00 AM

What I wanted to ask is, who has ever met an actual member of the Brady Campaign? I have never actually met one myself. I have met people who agreed with them, but never met someone who claimed to be a member of the organization. On the other hand, I have meet literally thousands of everyday people who claim membership in the NRA. So which one is truly grassroots?

I know, I know, claiming exaggeration and lies from the Brady Campaign is not that striking of a revelation to those here, but I wonder, how many people who do not stay abreast of politics realize the difference?

Astroturfing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing)

RRangel
10-13-2009, 9:24 AM
Grass roots organization? That's a good laugh. More like a top down construct of gun ban extremists.

POLICESTATE
10-13-2009, 9:46 AM
Sure they are GRASSroots, they probably smoke too much grass and that is why they are so paranoid of guns.

10-13-2009, 9:52 AM
Here is a story about how "grassroots" the anti-gun non profit organizations are:

Oh No, So Sad! No More Money...Honey? (http://transsylvaniaphoenix.blogspot.com/2009/07/oh-no-so-sad.html)
Thanks Gene for the tip.

They lost the Joyce Foundation grant, they disbanded. So much for being grassroots, all volunteer, conviction driven people. These left wing organizations only work for as long as the "volunteers" got their fat paychecks paid by the Joyce or Ford foundations.

yellowfin
10-13-2009, 10:17 AM
The Ford Foundation = ?

nn3453
10-13-2009, 10:31 AM
The anti-gun movement is made up of a small number of extremely influential and wealthy people.

I don't understand when people say "I hate my neighbor because he is a liberal and he wants to take away my guns."

In all probability, your liberal neighbor has no idea who his elected reps are being influenced by. That does not absolve him of the blame of electing people whose agenda he doesn't understand, but perhaps, instead of hating the individual average Joe liberal, we should educate him on what their elected reps are doing and how it affects other people's rights and lives. I try to talk to as many people as I can about gun rights and I drag liberals to the range. Most are receptive and don't hate me or you.

10-13-2009, 10:52 AM
The Ford Foundation = ?

Yes, The Ford Foundation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Foundation).

vladbutsky
10-13-2009, 11:16 AM
It always frustrating to see media mentioning NRA and other pro-gun-rights organizations as a "gun lobby". It makes it sound like an organization lobbying for corporations' interests. I always see it as disrespect to my personal work and work of millions of others!
I think we should stop accepting it when media calls us "gun lobby" and fight back! We are not gun lobby - we are civil right movement. And "Brady" is not a "grassroots" but a political lobby organization. :mad:

bigcalidave
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I've never talked to anyone who actually "joined" the brady bunch, but then again why would they need to! If someone had lived with anti gun beliefs they have had their fight won for them over the past 20 years. It'll be interesting as some of these lawsuits take hold and we get some of our rights back to see if people jump to the support of their precious bradys... I don't think they saw a huge surge of members after heller... Actually I didn't hear much noise about that at all. If it really outraged so many gun haters, where did they complain?

RRangel
10-13-2009, 3:14 PM
It always frustrating to see media mentioning NRA and other pro-gun-rights organizations as a "gun lobby". It makes it sound like an organization lobbying for corporations' interests. I always see it as disrespect to my personal work and work of millions of others!
I think we should stop accepting it when media calls us "gun lobby" and fight back! We are not gun lobby - we are civil right movement. And "Brady" is not a "grassroots" but a political lobby organization. :mad:

To say there is media bias is an understatement. They are complicit in their attempt to demonize gun rights along with some of the most terrible politicians in office. The same reason that tax increases and shoving DMV healthcare gets a pass. In the same manner the media hid the dirt and got their man in the White house. Guns are definitely on their hit list.

MrSigmaDOT40
10-13-2009, 3:46 PM

I have met a few of them.