PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's: No more ammunition for California

pdq_wizzard
10-13-2009, 6:57 AM
I did a search but didn't come up with anything (kill the thread if dup)

I hope the CGF and NRA can overturn AB962

http://www.examiner.com/x-2879-Austin-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d24-Cabelas-No-more-ammunition-for-California

drclark
10-13-2009, 7:10 AM
One good thing that could come out of this is that ab962 might wake up the rumored non-gun-nut hunters who don't think the libs will go after their "right to hunt". Even though this supposedly only applies to handgun ammo, I can see big companies like cabelas not wanting to deal with the hassle. Given the prevalance of rifle caliber handguns (TC-contender) and pistol caliber long guns what is vs isn't handgun ammo is unclear. At the very best they'd have to modify their website to add a "WALMART" style rifle or pistol ammo check box.

Nodda Duma
10-13-2009, 7:16 AM
Whoever wrote that article didn't do well in grammar school. Holy geez.

-Jason

freakshow10mm
10-13-2009, 7:16 AM
I tried to search Cabela's site last night and didn't see an announcement.

freonr22
10-13-2009, 7:19 AM
http://calnra.com/ right side of screen

M198
10-13-2009, 7:21 AM
Slight bit of FUD in the article. Can't really blame them for not knowing the Guttenburg bible sized gun laws, but the Assault Weapons ban didn't lead to confiscation through registration and it is relatively easy to tell the difference between handgun and a rifle ammunition. This new law stinks, and I don't like it.

GrizzlyGuy
10-13-2009, 7:30 AM
No more internet/mail order ammo to us, but the giant Cabela's superstore down the hill from me (at Boomtown) should do quite nicely in face-to-face ammo sales to Californians.

freakshow10mm
10-13-2009, 7:47 AM
http://calnra.com/ right side of screen
I read that article I'm looking for confirmation from Cabela's. It could have been an idle threat to get people to oppose it. I'm wondering if they are going to follow through with it.

gazzavc
10-13-2009, 8:10 AM
Time to get that COE to go with that FFL03 so one can work around this nonsense.

Gary

reidnez
10-13-2009, 8:14 AM
I read that article I'm looking for confirmation from Cabela's. It could have been an idle threat to get people to oppose it. I'm wondering if they are going to follow through with it.

They are going to have to follow through in Feb. 2011 if it isn't overturned by then. The only choice they have in the matter is whether to stop mailing now.

waitwha?
10-13-2009, 8:17 AM
I JUST placed an order on that site. DAMN THEM! They better fulfill my current order before they stop shipping ammo!

gucci pilot
10-13-2009, 8:21 AM
No more internet/mail order ammo to us, but the giant Cabela's superstore down the hill from me (at Boomtown) should do quite nicely in face-to-face ammo sales to Californians.

Only problem with the Reno Cabelas is that they have nothing in stock and they limit you to two boxes per person.

reidnez
10-13-2009, 8:40 AM
Time to get that COE to go with that FFL03 so one can work around this nonsense.

Gary

Yep. I will be getting a Livescan done this week. :)

Hopefully vendors will become aware of, and honor that provision. We know how some of them reacted to our AWB with blanket restrictions instead of bothering to educate themselves.

phil conrad
10-13-2009, 9:03 AM
My feeling is that if they give up on us screw them. The smart ones will be glad to get our business as long as possible. The same smart ones will learn about the COE as well.

Hoop
10-13-2009, 9:24 AM
Actually, I would be glad if a few of the "big name" retailers like that started denying sales to Californians. I know a lot of those "non-gun-nut-hunters" who aren't involved in politics, don't vote etc. Maybe if the next time they go online to Cabelas to buy their one box of rifle ammo the big, red, DENIED! will make them get off their asses.

CalNRA
10-13-2009, 9:29 AM
Slight bit of FUD in the article. Can't really blame them for not knowing the Guttenburg bible sized gun laws, but the Assault Weapons ban didn't lead to confiscation through registration

since the AW must be surrendered to the police or be gone from CA once the owner dies and can never be transferred in state unless it's by feature and made featureless, it's essentially a time-delayed confiscation and eradication.

and it is relatively easy to tell the difference between handgun and a rifle ammunition. This new law stinks, and I don't like it.
is 22Lon Rifle a rifle or pistol round? How about 223? 308? Because I can show you a pistol for many rifle calibers, and the legal ambiguity will cause the vendors(both in and out of state) to er on the cautious side.

freakshow10mm
10-13-2009, 9:30 AM
My opinion is that .22lr is primarily used in rifles, not handguns.

GunOwner
10-13-2009, 9:45 AM
My opinion is that .22lr is primarily used in rifles, not handguns.

I shoot .22LR in all my .22 pistols - I think it will be a judgment call and I worry the out of state vendors will not take ANY chances.

truthseeker
10-13-2009, 9:47 AM
Only problem with the Reno Cabelas is that they have nothing in stock and they limit you to two boxes per person.

Does anyone know if you can make an order online and have it shipped to the Cabela's in Reno for pickup?

That would allow you to pick up your ammo at that store and it MAY save some money on shipping since the ammo will be coming in with their usual shipment that week/month.

Hoop
10-13-2009, 9:51 AM
Does anyone know if you can make an order online and have it shipped to the Cabela's in Reno

Yeah you can. Last time I ordered from them there was a "store pick-up" option. I did it that way since I was going to Reno anyways, otherwise shipping is cheaper.

freakshow10mm
10-13-2009, 9:53 AM
I shoot .22LR in all my .22 pistols - I think it will be a judgment call and I worry the out of state vendors will not take ANY chances.
OK, well if I decide to sell rimfire ammunition, I will treat it as rifle ammunition.

MudCamper
10-13-2009, 9:54 AM
I JUST placed an order on that site. DAMN THEM! They better fulfill my current order before they stop shipping ammo!

Cabelas tends to be very CA-friendly. I doubt they will stop shipping here until the law actually takes effect.

Does anyone know if you can make an order online and have it shipped to the Cabela's in Reno for pickup?

That would allow you to pick up your ammo at that store and it MAY save some money on shipping since the ammo will be coming in with their usual shipment that week/month.

I wonder the same thing.

Yeah you can. Last time I ordered from them there was a "store pick-up" option. I did it that way since I was going to Reno anyways, otherwise shipping is cheaper.

Sweet!

nobody_special
10-13-2009, 9:59 AM
Slight bit of FUD in the article. Can't really blame them for not knowing the Guttenburg bible sized gun laws, but the Assault Weapons ban didn't lead to confiscation through registration and it is relatively easy to tell the difference between handgun and a rifle ammunition. This new law stinks, and I don't like it.

I believe there were some SKS rifles confiscated.

CAL.BAR
10-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Gary

Only if they sell it to you. History has shown that out of state retailers don't want to read stupid CA laws, they just ban the entire state. Cabella's will likely just say no more ammo sales to CA via internet and won't differentiate between the FFL03's and the general public.

SgtDinosaur
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
They just emailed me a couple of days ago asking if I wanted to leave some ammo on backorder. They said the order is still open.

curtisfong
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
History has shown that out of state retailers don't want to read stupid CA laws, they just ban the entire state. Cabella's will likely just say no more ammo sales to CA via internet and won't differentiate between the FFL03's and the general public.

Let alone rifle vs handgun ammunition.

orangeusa
10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I looked at the calnra site, went to the Austin site and the guy doesn't reference any sources. Plus he's got a picture of Hitler there.

Is he for real? Or just another gun nut site....
And does anybody have proof that Cabelas actually said anything like that?

I found an earlier thing that Cabelas was asking folks to fight AB962....

And they appear to still be taking web orders and I didn't see anything about CA on their website (yesterday).

???????

Two Shots
10-13-2009, 10:50 AM

I wonder if the Nevada and Oregon will start checking I.D and refusing to sell to Kali people by saying it's a gray area and they don't want problems.

CTD pulls that BS now on legal parts and I can see us being treated like we have a Zombie virus.

Digital_Boy
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I just spoke to a very well mannered service representative by the name of James at Cabelas customer service center, and he informed me that he was able to place an order for shipment of 9MM handgun ammunition to CA with no problems.

To the best of his knowledge, Cabelas will not restrict ammunition sales to California until the law is actually set to take effect, in this case February 1, 2011. Whether they will cease all ammunition sales or just handgun calibers he did not know.

bodger
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I just spoke to a very well mannered service representative by the name of James at Cabelas customer service center, and he informed me that he was able to place an order for shipment of 9MM handgun ammunition to CA with no problems.

To the best of his knowledge, Cabelas will not restrict ammunition sales to California until the law is actually set to take effect, in this case February 1, 2011. Whether they will cease all ammunition sales or just handgun calibers he did not know.

Cabela's is pretty popular with CA gunnies it seems. And I'm sure they have lawyers who could sort out pretty quick what's legal to ship to CA and what isn't.
Maybe they'll do their best to accommodate us. I'm sure there will be many who won't. Like the GunBroker guys who won't even sell us a shottie.

And checking IDs in neighboring states...plenty of chatter about that on those states' gun boards already. Lots of free state gunnies seem to blame us for being idiot enough to live here and don't want their short supplied ammo vendors running out from our border runs.

Maltese Falcon
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
I've got 600 rounds of .44 Mag on back order since early September. I will find out soon enough, they are supposed to be in stock by the 15th.

orangeusa
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the post. The Cabelas rumor seemed a little strange......

ke6guj
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
We'll see what Cabelas does eventually. That was writen before AB962 was signed, and could be looked at as a worst case scenario.

We'll see if CADOJ writes any supporting regulations clarifying what is considered handgun ammo as it applies to AB962. Then, if the regulations are clear enough, places like Cabelas may be willing to sell some ammo in CA.

But to make a final decision 16 months before the law goes into effect, and before any supporting regulations are writen would be premature. That goes for everybody trying to disect the law, and posing all these "what about .... " questions. Calm down, give The Right People a chance to figure out what AB962 will actually do and what needs to be done to comply with it, and to overturn it.