PDA

View Full Version : That's IT. I'm running for office. Who wants to help me?

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 7:13 PM
I'm so sick of the way the liberals have all the control in this state. I want to run for Assembly and work towards turning the tide in this state away from the brink of outright liberal insanity and back towards common sense, freedom, smaller government, lower taxes, less regulation and respect for the rights of all Californians to engage freely in their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Who's with me?? I'm serious about this. I've been thinking about this for years and I think I'm ready. If Kevin De Leon can get into the Assembly, I certainly can!

POLICESTATE
10-12-2009, 7:17 PM
Now that I think about it, there should be enough cal gunners in some of the bigger districts to get at least a few of us on the ballot for state assembly or state senate. Wouldn't hurt to try and get as many on as possible up and down the state. I know nothing about these type of politics though, i would assume you would need support of local businesses and stuff like that, shouldn't be too hard since nearly all of the small businesses in this state are getting screwed by the current/recent legislatures.

rolo
10-12-2009, 7:19 PM
Hmmm. Hold this spot for later. You have my sword.

HondaMasterTech
10-12-2009, 7:21 PM
If Kevin De Leon can get into the Assembly, I certainly can!

He is a different breed. He is "California". You, my friend, are not what Californians want.

sixtringr
10-12-2009, 7:21 PM
Oldrifle
Good luck if I was in your district I'd vote for you. Problem with becoming a politician is unless you are great you have to lie, cheat, and beg for money. You don't sound like the latter type.
Oh yeah, there are no great ones right now. That is why we are in this position.
We need some good ones........so go for it.

Phil3
10-12-2009, 7:22 PM
I think you need to pick your battles. I do not know what district you would compete in, but would check that first, to see if you even have a fighting chance. I mean, San Francisco for instance is NEVER going to elect a conservative. I do think there are districts that are vulnerable. Just need to pick the right one. What district were you thinking of?

Warhawk014
10-12-2009, 7:22 PM
ill vote for you. but if you try to take my guns away, i know were you post.

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 7:25 PM
He is a different breed. He is "California". You, my friend, are not what Californians want.

I'm more Californian than anyone. My grandfather came here from Italy in the 1920s and opened a bakery in San Francisco. I'm a third generation American and I respect (legal) immigrants. I'm socially liberal and believe people should be able to do whatever they wish on their own property. I don't care if people are gay or want to call their relationships "marriage". That doesn't make my marriage any less valid. I'm a liberal, not in the newspeak sense, but in the traditional sense... which I think most Californians are as well.

Yeah, I know what you're saying but I think I can appeal to enough people in this state to get some traction.

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 7:25 PM
What district were you thinking of?

I'm in the 15th district. Silicon Valley.

HondaMasterTech
10-12-2009, 7:28 PM

Silicon Valley, eh? Well hell, you got all the small breasted votes right off the bat!

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 7:30 PM
Silicon Valley, eh? Well hell, you got all the small breasted votes right off the bat!

haha... wait, what?

Phil3
10-12-2009, 7:35 PM
OldrifleProblem with becoming a politician is unless you are great you have to lie, cheat, and beg for money.

I think many more people would respond to the right candidate. Candidates too often speak in generalities, promises with no explanation of this will work, they are for change (who hasn't been), and are generally no more impressive than a used car salesman. That is unless you are as slick a used car salesman as Obama can be a cult rock star. Most of these just seem too much like a politician, and that is hardly a complement.

Still, Sarah Palin and Ross Perot got tremendous support, by not being the normal politician. I want to see a politician make visible the things he does that will connect with people. I mean who knew that President Bush sent out over 4000 personal letters to the families of soldiers killed in action? That he met with over 500 families privately? Most reasonable people will connect with that, other than the vehement anti-war people. Yeah, I know the media won't cooperate, but they never will with a conservative.

Phil3
10-12-2009, 7:45 PM

Unless I am totally asleep (entirely possible, sick at home), the CA 15th Assembly district is north of Fremont, not Silicon Valley.

JTecalo
10-12-2009, 7:47 PM

silicone my friend

silicone bounces

silicon fractures

sorensen440
10-12-2009, 7:48 PM
Id need to know more about you

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 7:51 PM
Unless I am totally asleep (entirely possible, sick at home), the CA 15th Assembly district is north of Fremont, not Silicon Valley.

Yeah I meant the 15th Congressional district. It looks like I'm in the 22nd Assembly district. I just moved to this area a few months ago.

nn3453
10-12-2009, 7:57 PM
Yeah I meant the 15th Congressional district. It looks like I'm in the 22nd Assembly district. I just moved to this area a few months ago.

"oldrifle is a newcomer to the area who is out of touch with the citizens living here."

Or that's what they would say. If you want to play the game, go for it, but it requires a lot of patience, perseverance, cash, diplomacy and a really thick hide.

SPUTTER
10-12-2009, 8:01 PM
you got my vote

HotRails
10-12-2009, 8:01 PM
Only consider politics once you fail at every other endeavour. Only then will a person be willing to set aside every principle they have simply to get re-elected.

Legasat
10-12-2009, 8:09 PM
Problem is, you gotta "plugged in" to one of the political networks to get elected (political network means lotsa rich people willing to give you you money in return for favors). Are you plugged in???

The Director
10-12-2009, 8:11 PM
haha... wait, what?

That's the Hillary special. Two fat thighs, no breasts, and two left wings! :D

Seesm
10-12-2009, 8:18 PM
Sounds cool OP I will vote for you...

Ding126
10-12-2009, 8:27 PM
wasn't the state suppose to re district to make it a semi level voting field?

coolusername2007
10-12-2009, 8:49 PM
wasn't the state suppose to re district to make it a semi level voting field?

I think that's happening next year, to go into effect in 2011. http://www.bsa.ca.gov/redistricting

Joe
10-12-2009, 8:51 PM
back towards common sense, freedom, smaller government, lower taxes, less regulation and respect for the rights of all Californians to engage freely in their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

You will never win if you believe in that

RollingCode3
10-12-2009, 8:52 PM
GO FOR IT. You will have my support :D

dchang0
10-12-2009, 9:10 PM
I've run for office before. It's surprisingly easy to get on the ballot but takes a lot of money to win office. The trick to winning is to start small, at the city level, then build a name as a public figure and form coalitions with other politicians, then move up the chain. You can practically volunteer unopposed for many city positions like "Trash Commissioner," etc., then work your way up to City Council, then to Mayor, then to State Assembly/Senate OR Governor.

All this takes years and money. You'd likely be far more effective at mobilizing only gun owners by working for the CGF, CRPA, or NRA than at mobilizing a large block of mixed-party voters while running for office.

Biff...
10-12-2009, 9:15 PM
I'll help, count me in as a donor when you get going.

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 9:17 PM
I've run for office before. It's surprisingly easy to get on the ballot but takes a lot of money to win office. The trick to winning is to start small, at the city level, then build a name as a public figure and form coalitions with other politicians, then move up the chain. You can practically volunteer unopposed for many city positions like "Trash Commissioner," etc., then work your way up to City Council, then to Mayor, then to State Assembly/Senate OR Governor.

All this takes years and money. You'd likely be far more effective at mobilizing only gun owners by working for the CGF, CRPA, or NRA than at mobilizing a large block of mixed-party voters while running for office.

Yeah but I don't have that kind of time. I need to get on the fast track here if I'm going to affect any sort of real change in my lifetime.

Haven't we met at the range in San Jose before? Or am I thinking of someone else?

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 9:18 PM
I'll help, count me in as a donor when you get going.

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens. Thanks to anyone else who was supportive. I also appreciate the less positive feedback because it's certainly important to hear also.

chris
10-12-2009, 9:19 PM
anyone other than an incumbant could do better not worse. anyone can run they can do better than the turdburglars in office today. dude go for it.

yellowfin
10-12-2009, 9:22 PM
He is a different breed. He is "California". You, my friend, are not what Californians want.By Californians you mean Donkey party head folks who control who gets the money and publicity. The people vote for what they see and are led to believe--the people who control what they see determine everything. I seriously doubt if sufficient people had accurate and complete information on who they were voting for they would continue to do so on a large scale basis. People may vote stupid because they don't know any better, but ignorance and stupidity are not a 100% guaranteed packaged deal.

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 9:29 PM
By Californians you mean Donkey party head folks who control who gets the money and publicity. The people vote for what they see and are led to believe--the people who control what they see determine everything. I seriously doubt if sufficient people had accurate and complete information on who they were voting for they would continue to do so on a large scale basis. People may vote stupid because they don't know any better, but ignorance and stupidity are not a 100% guaranteed packaged deal.

Well said. Thank you. It's time to have someone in office who speaks to the intelligence of the people rather than to their ignorance.

dchang0
10-12-2009, 9:30 PM
Yeah but I don't have that kind of time. I need to get on the fast track here if I'm going to affect any sort of real change in my lifetime.

Haven't we met at the range in San Jose before? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Well, I'm just laying out the ol' Democrat/Republican playbook. The political process is very systematic--a machine, really. They insert politicians at the lowest levels and gradually crank them up to the top. That's how they get guys like DeLeon up at the state level.

Think of it this way: you're building brand recognition. When a "Vote oldrifle for State Assembly" sign goes up, the only way you have any chance of winning is if people already recognize your name from having already been in office at a lower level. There are just too many uninformed and moderate and independent voters to be able to achieve success on the basis of your highly-motivated core supporters.

There are, on rare occasions, people with enough brand recognition to skip right into higher office, like Schwarzenegger with his movie-star fame, but he got in mainly because the public saw his record with after school programs, etc. That's really what convinced people he could be a competent public servant. If he had been trying to win Governor with only movie-starring on his resume, people wouldn't have backed him enough for a win.

Even the no-experience with executive-branch leadership Obama had to be a US Senator in order to even be considered for President.

Naw, you were thinking of some other guy--I live down in SoCal.

GettinReady
10-12-2009, 9:51 PM
Go for it! If I lived in your district, I would vote for you.

J_Rock
10-12-2009, 9:57 PM
You would probably have more success pretending to be a liberal. Then when the time comes ,on a 2nd amendment issue,go all right wing on them. ;)

anthonyca
10-12-2009, 9:57 PM
Ron Paul wanted to tell people what he thought was really going on. He ran in a farm district and was against crop subsidies and he won. He also has mad a pretty big impact for some guy who pretty much did what you are talking about.

Campaign For Liberty runs workshops on how to run for office from local level on up.

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 9:59 PM
Campaign For Liberty runs workshops on how to run for office from local level on up.

Already a member. I'll contact them. thanks

five.five-six
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
vote early vote often

oldrifle
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Id need to know more about you

This is my living room floor. What else do you want to know? :D

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/943/gunpile.jpg

bodger
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
I vote strictly 2A. So I'll vote for ya.

Problem is, you'll have to run for office in Arizona to get my vote.

chuckdc
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know who your local public serpent in the Assembly is, so I can't comment on them. Is it an open seat due to term limits? The best time to run is for an open seat, not against an incumbent. I'd guess that your area is Dem, just on geography. Plug into their party, tell them you'd like to be a candidate there, lay out what you bring to them in terms of positions on issues, Find out if they already have a "picked" person to run for that seat if its open. Do some work for them for other candidates, etc.

Here in my area, which is solidly GOP, we have trouble finding good candidates even for the Assembly. The last few guys we've elected here have had no real political experience/track record. My current guy was the GOPs leader in the Assembly (Villines), and when he got in, he was just a business guy. No political background to speak of. If you've done well enough in some other field like business, that record can play, especially if you run as an outsider.

LiquidFlorian
10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
You have my support! Anyone know who's running in district 24?

stagman
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Golden Rule: If you have alot of gold, you can make the rules...

Unless you have gatrillions of dollars like Mrs. Pel@si, be prepared to beg and plead for campaign donations. That includes making promises to special interests in trade for $.

Otherwise, you got my support!

Mitch
10-13-2009, 12:26 PM

This is precisely correct. Almost no one appears from nowhere to gain the nomination for a statewide office.

In my town, the place to start is the Planning Commission (a board appointed by the City Council), to which you get appointed after months or years of public activity at city council meetings, hearings, etc. The Planning Commission is usually the anteroom for a City Council bid. Once you are on the City Council (which in my town is a non-partisan post), you spend as much of your time as possible rubbing elbows with the county party bigwigs. Hopefully they will notice you. When you think you have the right amount of exposure and support in the community and with the party hierarchy, you can make your bid for nomination for Assemblyman or even Congressman. The seats are all gerrymandered, so gaining the party nomination is all you need to do.

All this takes years, of course.

And meanwhile you have to smile politely while every crazed crank in your constituency wastes your time with all kinds of brainless complaints.

A few years ago some folks around here wanted me to run for City Council. I spent enough time seeing what Council members actually do that I respectfully declined.

BigDogatPlay
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
The 22nd Assembly District is represented by first term Democrat Paul Fong (http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a22/), who took over from a term limited Democrat. His political experience prior was as a trustee for Foothill DeAnza College District.

In his primary last year he beat the mayor of Cupertino and a councilman from Santa Clara. He beat his Republican opponent in the general 76%-23%.

A libertarian has already announced a run against Fong for next year.

For the single issue voters out there, Fong voted in favor of AB962 and SB41 every time they came to the floor. He voted no on SB585 and flipped to yes in another vote five days later.

aklon
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Now that I think about it, there should be enough cal gunners in some of the bigger districts to get at least a few of us on the ballot for state assembly or state senate.

Good luck.

I ran for office some years ago, and my experience was that the gunnies (that's what we're called in lobbyist shorthand) will hang around the range or the gun shop moaning and complaining about the way things are and that "we" have to get pro-gun people in office ... so when a pro-gun person runs for office, what happens?

You'll never see a gunnie come and help you out. They won't give you money, they won't walk precincts with you, they won't man phone banks - but they will hang out at the range and gun shop wishing you the best of luck but they won't lift a finger to help.

No, we're our own worst enemies when it comes to preserving our gun rights. If I had a nickle for every time I'm at the range and some gunnie blow hard is ranting and raving yet admits no, he doesn't belong to NRA, and no he doesn't read Cal Guns, and no he has no idea NRA is actually active here in CA - so I invite them to our MC meeting to join up and get involved and they make a lot of good noises and motions, but they never show up. What's worse, as soon as things go wrong, they're the first to stand up and ask where was the NRA when the truth is they can't be bothered themselves and expect NRA to do their heavy lifting.

Bottom line: if you're running for office, the gunnies won't help you so find another issue to run on.

(Sorry, but my experience running for office left me really cynical when it comes to gun owners and the actual work it takes to preserve freedom. But I'll say one thing: all you guys that have harsh words for Mike Haas? Well, Mike gets out there and walks and calls and phones; what do YOU do?)

mtptwo
10-13-2009, 1:09 PM

Sorry, but I simply cannot vote for person that promises to save one right while allowing the others to go down the drain.

If you're serious about this, then lay out the issues. Show me where you stand on all of it, then I'll consider you.

Southwest Chuck
10-13-2009, 2:00 PM

Carefull. Posts like this can and probably Will be used against you. Just say'in..:(

oldrifle
10-13-2009, 2:05 PM
Yeah, I've been researching it and I'm pretty sure I have zero chance. Perhaps I'm better off working to get the Libertarian candidate elected instead.

The 22nd Assembly District is represented by first term Democrat Paul Fong (http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a22/), who took over from a term limited Democrat. His political experience prior was as a trustee for Foothill DeAnza College District.

In his primary last year he beat the mayor of Cupertino and a councilman from Santa Clara. He beat his Republican opponent in the general 76%-23%.

A libertarian has already announced a run against Fong for next year.

For the single issue voters out there, Fong voted in favor of AB962 and SB41 every time they came to the floor. He voted no on SB585 and flipped to yes in another vote five days later.

Kestryll
10-13-2009, 2:08 PM
I want to know why you don't have a safe and why you store your weapons on the living room floor.
Are the Glocks stored in the bathroom in case of bad aim?

:43: