PDA

View Full Version : Question on 14.5 gasblock

JoeGSX
10-12-2009, 5:33 PM
If i get a 14.5 with a pinned and welded (CMMG) flash supressor is there anyway to eventually change out to a low profile gasblock? Thanks for ur time.

818gtiguy
10-12-2009, 5:35 PM
You can drill out the pin,remove your FH and replace your gas block...Get a new FH ,Then re-weld the FH back on and you are GTG.

NSR500
10-12-2009, 5:37 PM
Yes, it can be changed out, but it will require a gunsmith. Once you remove that pinned flash hider you'd be have in your hands an SBR. The feds can get you for that unless you already own an AR pistol.
Basically the FH needs to be removed, the gas block replace, and then another Muzzle Device welded on.

dfletcher
10-12-2009, 5:57 PM
Try a Yankee Hill two piece gas block. Simply drift out the standard front sight pins, slice through the legs where they wrap around the barrel and you're all set. The metal on the fronst sight is very soft so a single slice will allow you to peel them away. Very easy, just go slow and keep your cuts confined to the area covered by the legs of the barrel. if you go through a bit the legs of the YHM will cover.

There are other clamp type gas blocks, I just happen to like the YHM.

evollep3
10-12-2009, 6:04 PM
the way i did it if you have the a2 front post is grind it down to a low pro gas block if you plan on placing a rail to cover over it

cjskalka
10-12-2009, 7:28 PM
the way i did it if you have the a2 front post is grind it down to a low pro gas block if you plane on placing a rail to cover over it

I would have to agree, after having to dremel the barrel nut off of my cmmg upper I may as well have saved the $30 and made my own low pro gas block, since I also had to drill out the fsb taper pins -_-

slappomatt
10-12-2009, 10:20 PM
thats one of the major problems with 14.5" barrels. you cant easily change them once they are setup. I would say figure out what you want EXACTLY and do it. as its difficult to change later.